Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Davey, Yan, Zippy8

Zippy8
Topic Author

VF10 - where and what

Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:32 pm

While we wait for the website to heal itself :crazy: after some sort of bandwidth onslaught, try these on for size:-

Mike.

Kamikaze
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:04 am

On the basis that that nine country's have been represented in VF10' which is much more than the baseball world series. VF10 should be renamed International freestyle 10

David
I am Editing the Wiki anything you would like adding please PM me.

thief

Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:25 am

wait...doesn't that actually make it qualify for the OLYMPICS now? that whcih some people have always sought after (for some strange reason) Kite Flying in the Olympics.....
kites kayaks & corgis

urbank

Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:09 pm

i dont know the term but is something like this.
I belive that the sport must have a "federation" in all thoes countrys

hehe

cumps

Keithgrif
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:55 pm

It's been debated ad nauseum about STACK and ISTR the conclusions were that :

1) we are too small a sport (STACK UK cannot even get sports council recognition)
2) The Olympics have had too much controversy over subjectively judged sports and are unlikely to welcome any new ones. Too much "voting with passport" which thank goodness doesn't seem to happen in STACK.
Keith
STACK UK
National Director 2006-2012

ExGrads pairs, fourth in Europe 2011!!!
Airheads team, 10th in the world 2012

ObijuanKenobe

Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:13 pm

If the contest took place in a wind tunnel facility...expressly designed for 30m flying lines...and used only a standard olympic model kite...you might have a demonstration sport. I think it will always be something like formula 1 racing...some general guidelines about what a legal 'stunt kite' is, and the rest is open.

This creates the situation where some folks can do a backspin cascade in the first year because on their kite it's really easy...and others take years because they bought a Sea Devil. I think the ultimate competition for flyers would something that could remove the advantage the various kites provide. I do think this advantage goes away with flying experience; however, it doesn't change the advantage certain kites have in certain positions or axes.

Imagine, for example...a trick out based on changing kites with your opponent. Three head to head rounds per pair: One round (minute) your kite...one round the opponent's kite...one round your kite...competitiors vote who moves on to next round. You'd have to fly several other kites on the way to winning with your kite of choice.

You could then get a pretty fair competition, where Lars drops his DS for a Cosmic for a round...and Johannes picks up a DS for a round...in the final, for example. That's a fair contest.

obi
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

Zippy8
Topic Author

Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:17 pm

Keithgrif wrote:
It's been debated ad nauseum about STACK and ISTR the conclusions were that :

Is it really that time again ? :huh:

If you really want stunt kiting to be part of an international multi-sports event then forget the Olympics but think instead of the World Games or the World Air Games.

I believe I've expressed this opinion before :-D

Mike.

Keithgrif
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:04 pm

You, have an opinion, surely not Mike :-)
Keith
STACK UK
National Director 2006-2012

ExGrads pairs, fourth in Europe 2011!!!
Airheads team, 10th in the world 2012