Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Davey, Yan, Zippy8

audiorob
Topic Author

Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:30 pm

Kamikaze wrote:
Really though, if you can't fly for 2 minutes without crashing, when you select the location, the wind, the kite, with no boundaries and the best 2 minutes out of your endurance.... then perhaps competing really isnt something you should be looking at just yet.

That is my point I cannot fly tricks for two minuets so I would be excluded from entering do you want VF for the select elite only.

David Wilson

Its not a "tricks" competition. It's a freestyle competition, you do what you want.

If you cant do what you want to do for 2 minutes, then well... I guess you'd be excluded :? (that's if I was suggesting that the routine MUST be more than 1 minue, which I was and am not) In that case I'd wonder why you're still flying kites as well, that must be pretty torturous :shock:

---

I dont see why "crashing" has any bearing on this at all. Everyone crashes sometimes, even the best of the best crash, even consistantly when trying certain things. I dont think that should have any bearing on the judging in the competition other than the fact that someone who is horribly scared of seeing a kite crash would be more likely to rate someone down for it than a more experienced flier who can appreciate that sometimes in the middle of your best 1 minute of kiteflying in your life, sometimes you crash.

I'd like to also mention that i never siad it should be ONLY 2 minute routines. If you want to do a 1 minute routine, it should be allowed. If you want to do 3, it should be allowed. As it stands now, I beleive the rules were "Up to 1 minute", meaning that you do not need to fly for 1 minute to enter. This is another thing that should be seen as something that encourages everyone to join and try.

Also, what's with this idea that if X happens or Y occurs that suddely the "elite" will have this massive advantage that cant be overcome. If you're placing certain fliers in a category of "elite" then it's already obvious that they are the more skilled fliers and will rise to the top regardless of the rules.

My concern and reason for bringing this up is that the time limit is "forcing" people to produce less than their best. I think that if someone's style means that a 1 minute routine is their best, and someone else's style needs 2 minutes to display itself fully then they should be allowed to. Otherwise the latter has no chance and is "forced" to cram in order to compete.

I personally beleive that one of the main factors that there's not a much wider entrance base is that a lot of really good fliers feel that 1 minute is a silly short amount of time to perform a cohesive routine in their style.

(another reason being that the prizes are not very rewarding at times, particularly since the 'best' fliers already have the kite/s they want. This round seemed to get a lot of competitors but excluded people who already own an exclusive set of kites they fly. Some monetary or general equipment sponsorshop would really bring things forward)
Anyway this cake is great.
It's so delicious and moist

sftonkin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:01 pm

audiorob wrote:
there's probably a good chance that if you crash THAT often, you aren't in the running to win anyways.

Oh, I know that already. :lol:

Anyway, since I've never competed in it (or anything else kitey for that matter :lol: ) I really ought to butt out and leave the discussion to those who actually participate...

BTW, Rob, you did see the smattering of :lol: s in my posts, I hope...?

RoyReed

Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:13 pm

Craig wrote:
Freestyle isn't just about centre of the window tricks, (well not in my book).

Couldn't agree more.
Must fly
Roy
REEDDESIGN Web Design

audiorob
Topic Author

Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:52 pm

sftonkin wrote:
BTW, Rob, you did see the smattering of :lol: s in my posts, I hope...?

Sure did, but you still were echoing a sentiment that I beleive is heartfully felt by people viewing this thread, so I felt it was worth replying to.
Anyway this cake is great.

It's so delicious and moist

PAW

Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:14 pm

For me....
I find that the VF is good as it is !
It`s not a normal Competition as STACK or TRICKSPARTY, so you can fly as you want to !
The one minute is to show STYLE with good tricks and not to show all your tricks that you are able to do !
VIRTUAL FREESTYLE = one minute of good looking flying !!!!
Account deleted !

tkippel

Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:49 pm

Exactly, because...
to show all your tricks that you are able to do !

will end up in videos of 5-10 min

So you have to learn to make the best out of 1 minute, it's another form of competition.

Thomas

Davey

Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:03 pm

tkippel wrote:
Exactly, because...
to show all your tricks that you are able to do !

will end up in videos of 5-10 min

Or potentially (for me) 5 - 10 secs. :)

I'm apparently back now, but am knackered after driving with a car full of kids - so I'll chip in again later.
Davey
::
Nope, I hadn't fallen off the map. Although one would be excused for thinking so...