Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Davey, Yan, Zippy8

bryan beasley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:24 pm

particularly since the 'best' fliers already have the kite/s they want.

full control over who I give the prize to. I will be awarding it (full set of kites) to first place or second place

:?

Don't really want to get too deeply into this, 'cos your contribution and support is admirable Rob, and the very last thing I want to do is knock it. I'm just a bit, you know...

Bryan

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:01 pm

The prize should be raffled amongst all the entrants (3 kite prizes = 3 winners), every contestant then has a chance of winning a prize.

Most contestants know they will not win the competition but the chance of winning a prize via a raffle means continued participation, surely winning is kudos enough and a prize just a bonus.

audiorob

Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:45 pm

bryan beasley wrote:
particularly since the 'best' fliers already have the kite/s they want.

full control over who I give the prize to. I will be awarding it (full set of kites) to first place or second place

Don't really want to get too deeply into this, 'cos your contribution and support is admirable Rob, and the very last thing I want to do is knock it. I'm just a bit, you know...

Bryan

{bad mood}

Your questiony emoticons wouldn't be necassary if you didnt quote me out of context. :)

"or second place if first place is ineligible or wishes to pass the prize downward."

If first place has kites they want, they can hand it down to second place. If first place wants the kites, then they have every right to them.

I offered what I can offer, and I dont particularly think it's the 'best' prize in terms of getting as many people to compete as possible. I think a full aerostuff frameset and some lines would go further to get some sponsored fliers and such in the game than a full set of kites since there's a strong correlation between someone's ability and their preference for a single set of kites, or brand (imo).

The prize should be raffled amongst all the entrants (3 kite prizes = 3 winners), every contestant then has a chance of winning a prize.

Most contestants know they will not win the competition but the chance of winning a prize via a raffle means continued participation, surely winning is kudos enough and a prize just a bonus.

Raffle is fine for the next VF. I want no part in any of that "everyone can win" BS. If you lose a competition, then practice and try harder next time. I can't stand that "you get a medal just for trying" garbage that people do all the time. It's a sure way to make sure that you get lots of weak competitors and all those who have a good chance at winning will see little reason in bothering if the chance for reward is completely random.

Of course you do get the "bragging rights" if you win. Im sure you'd be the envy of all your co-workers because you won a freestyle kiteflying competition on the internet. :lol:

Then again the idea of "bragging rights" only comes close to working for less experienced people, since the good fliers out there already have accomplished things much greater than VF. I wonder how else one could coax them into competing? perhaps a brandless coveted prize, or cash? :lol:

{/bad mood}
Anyway this cake is great.
It's so delicious and moist

danteuk

Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:18 pm

I'd compete if
A) top prize was only one of those cool FA t-shirts
B) I thought I had a hope in hell of making the top 3!
(maybe 2009 :) )
MyKites - That is not dead that can eternal lie, yet in strange aeons this damn kite might fly.

bryan beasley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:33 pm

'Snot out of context Rob, and no {bad mood} inducing sentiments intended.

The emoticon is "confused", and I was just confused as to why one statement intimates that the best fliers (ie. those more likely to win) will already have to equipment they require, and the other statement intimates that the winner (or, as you say, the next runner up if the winner isn't elligle or doesn't want it.) will get the prize, when clearly they don't need it.

I'm with you all the way as far as competing to win is concerned, but there's also a pleasure in taking part, and the earlier rounds (rightly or wrongly) offered incentives so to do.

A worthy incentive for the best flier (winner) would be really nice to encourage more 'A' list fliers to take part - but, what is needed to attract the best of the best, along with the rest so that there is a reasonable reason to 'have a go' as well as the sharp end competitve stuff?

Bryan

audiorob

Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:58 pm

Bad mood was not induced by anyone's posts, I was already in a bad mood. Indicator included so no one would think it was induced by a post but I guess that didnt work :)

misterbleepy
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Intermission

Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:31 am

While we all wait for the results of VF7, here is an intermission:

Last minute unauthorised VF entry

right click and select "Save Link As..." to download, then play (works in vlc and quicktime)
Keith B
--
Kite Tricks mind map

bleep bleep bleep

Tregolwyn

Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:35 pm

That would have been a clear winner.

Very impressive tip stabs and superb control on such short lines. Was that the stock bridle or did I spot a mod?

Only the camera work let it down really :lol:

Paul

fworley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:03 pm

Thats nice ... Georgie loves hers ... they are great kites ... if a little spendy.

-Frazer

audiorob

Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:51 pm

You should have submitted it.

I dont think it'd have placed last :D :P

misterbleepy
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:44 pm

audiorob wrote:
You should have submitted it.

I dont think it'd have placed last :D :P

heh - I missed the deadline, it was only shot last weekend at Brighton.

If you look carefully you may be able see ABW, Piero, and others flying stuff in the background.
Keith B

--

Kite Tricks mind map

bleep bleep bleep

daniel beasley

Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:26 pm

Popeye wrote:
Go up and tidy your room. :P

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
If at first you dont succeed get a bigger gun.

PAW

Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:17 pm

Hey Davey,
when do we get the results ? :tongue:
Account deleted !

Davey
Topic Author

Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:46 am

Results will be as soon as I get them all collated. I'm at a friend's wedding today, and will get all the necessary work done once I return.

:)
Davey
::
Nope, I hadn't fallen off the map. Although one would be excused for thinking so...

Comet

Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:43 pm

Hey Davey, that's torture you know ;-)