Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Davey, Yan, Zippy8

Bodyflight
Topic Author

Virtual Freestyle 3 start date?

Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:25 pm

Anyone know when Virtual Freestyle 3 will start?

It struck me the other day that we could do with a way of proving the routine submitted has been flown / filmed during the time window provided for the particular round. Otherwise in theory someone could upload a competition video from, well, anytime.

I know it's a fun comp and operates a lot on trust, but it's just been bugging me, that's all.

The other thing that I'm unsure of is judging the vids.
Should we score the intermediate flyers BEARING IN MIND they are intermediates? ie. should we give someone a 10/10 because their round was BLOODY GOOD FOR AN INTERMEDIATE, even though it was not as good as Lars or Andy et al?

Or, if the scoring is 'constant' - (10/10 is perfect and that's that!) why have seperate int/exp classes at all?

If you think about it, the answer to my question makes quite a difference to the results.

Go on then, discuss!

Andy S
King of FA

Re: Virtual Freestyle 3 start date?

Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:56 pm

Bodyflight wrote:
It struck me the other day that we could do with a way of proving the routine submitted has been flown / filmed during the time window provided for the particular round. Otherwise in theory someone could upload a competition video from, well, anytime.

Or, indeed, of anyone flying if the film didn't show the pilot. I think we just have to rely on the integrity of the competitors :shock: In the end, I'm not sure the 'timeframe' issue is that big a deal, personally.

The other thing that I'm unsure of is judging the vids.
Should we score the intermediate flyers BEARING IN MIND they are intermediates? ie. should we give someone a 10/10 because their round was BLOODY GOOD FOR AN INTERMEDIATE, even though it was not as good as Lars or Andy et al?

Or, if the scoring is 'constant' - (10/10 is perfect and that's that!) why have seperate int/exp classes at all?

I think in VF2 there weren't enough people in the intermediate and novice categories to justify judging them seperately, or something. IIRC I judged everyone as if they were in the same category.

I'd expect that if there were enough people in each class then each class would be judged on it's own merits. But would you scale the best novice up to 10/10 automatically?

randyg

Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:21 pm

Andy wrote:
In the end, I'm not sure the 'timeframe' issue is that big a deal, personally.

I agree, totally. Why couldn't someone, knowing VF3 is about to happen, go ahead and be trying to get some decent footage? With some competitors flight time can be scarce, particularly during the winter with shorter days and no daylight savings time. I've got the whole "no cameraperson" thing to attempt to overcome as well. Heck, I'm just hoping I can get a decent 60 second clip of anything worth submitting.

It would concern me that we could overthink this and make it way too complicated. Why not just take for what it is...a very fun comp between friends. If one gets all bent out of shape over their placing or thinks other VF competitors might cheat, maybe VF isn't for them.

Just my $.02.
Randy
My Blog

Juha
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:36 pm

I don't think it's ever even been seriously suggested that it should matter when the footage is shot.

Juha

Bodyflight
Topic Author

Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:26 pm

Fair comments.

Still interested in what people think of the scoring thing, though.

Jason
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:45 pm

Delete this please. I mean my post, not the thread.
Last edited by Jason on Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jason.

RoyReed

Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:13 pm

I think everyone should be scored by the same standard. That gives the novice and intermediate flyers a good guide as to how much work they have to do to catch up with the experienced flyers - not very much, or nothing at all in some cases.

The point of having the different classes is so that there can be a winner for each category, which makes three people feel good.
Must fly
Roy
REEDDESIGN Web Design

Neil E
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:15 am

Juha wrote:
I don't think it's ever even been seriously suggested that it should matter when the footage is shot.

[-o< I am glad about that, cos Brian & myself specifically shot footage when we were on holiday knowing that VF3 was due. Weve both probably improved as fliers since but at least weve got something on film :whaasup:
KITE Rx

kevin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:10 am

RoyReed wrote:
I think everyone should be scored by the same standard. That gives the novice and intermediate flyers a good guide as to how much work they have to do to catch up with the experienced flyers

You don't end up w/ as many winners, but I *really* like the idea of scoring this way.

Kevin

bryan beasley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:38 pm

Neil E wrote:
[-o< I am glad about that, cos Brian & myself specifically shot footage when we were on holiday knowing that VF3 was due. Weve both probably improved as fliers since but at least weve got something on film :whaasup:

Oh, and where pray tell is said footage?

Bryan

Davey

Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:45 pm

bryan beasley wrote:
Oh, and where pray tell is said footage?

Bryan

:lol: - Better go searching for that tape ;)

VF3: 'The Valentine's Day Mass-axel' will be starting very soon... The deadline will probably be end of February, but I'm wary of confirming everything at this point until I've got my head round 'exactly' what I want to do this time out...

Things have been a bit busier for me than I'd planned, leaving me running a bit behind. I'm still considering exactly what to do with the 'classes' etc. at the moment, but there have been a good number of early registrations so all 3 classes may well stay as they are.

Prizes are still being worked on, and I'd like to be able to get everything out in the open from the outset, without having to announce/modify anything part-way through the round.

Looking forward to getting it running again :D
Davey
::
Nope, I hadn't fallen off the map. Although one would be excused for thinking so...

Davey

Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:51 pm

kevin wrote:
You don't end up w/ as many winners, but I *really* like the idea of scoring this way.

Kevin

As mentioned by Roy though - the idea was to give as many folk as possible the feel-good factor in topping their class. I was excited to see the novice scores come in, and it was a close run finish with Jim a couple of points ahead of me to top the class - I'll get him next time ;) - So even coming 2nd in my class gives me some improvements aspire to, even though I'll never be less than a million miles behind the experienced guys.

Oh and there's always 'extra' winners, in that any prize offered will be drawn from all active competitors - I want to have a reward for taking part that everyone has a fair chance of getting (except me - coz it'll look like a fix ;)) which I hope will encourage as many as possible to take part.
Davey
::
Nope, I hadn't fallen off the map. Although one would be excused for thinking so...