Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Davey, Yan, Zippy8

Davey
Topic Author

Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:12 pm

PaulG wrote:
Frankly because it makes me wonder! It took away a good chunk of credabillity regarding the contest.

I truly am sorry you feel that way Paul - but I'll ask again, what's the best way to deal with this??? How do we make the contest more credible? How do we deal with the issues of 'editing' - or rather cheating by 'editing'? How would 'cheating' be defined?

And as stated, this is a discussion on subject and NOT personal!

At least it's not personal... If the discussions were getting personal I'd really begin to wonder why I put my neck out on the block like this... :-( As it is I'm just about holding in there...

The result gave the comp the worst start it could get, and I think its wise to discuss the matter and bring it out in the open in a clean manner!

Not really... the worst start would have been for noone to enter, or for there to be *soo* many protests the whole thing stopped being fun. As you stated earlier - This was meant from the outset to be a 'fun' competition. The rules were thrashed out to really put some sort of structure in place - and make it credible. At the minute I'm feeling a bit like Andy Phelps after the T-O series this year... Trying to establish a viable competition format, keep it fun, and yet still balance the opinions of both competitors and non-competitors.

As for the 'no editing' rule being too strict - I just don't know how to deal with that to be honest... Do we allow *one* edit, or for each edit deduct a set number of points from the final scores??? Or keep with it and try to capture the feel of a real competition which was the original hope...

The leagues/groups suggestion is one that was being discussed early on - as we get more competitors it's believed that it'll be less intimidating to the novices (such as myself) in that they won't be dumped down the list as more experienced flyers take part. That said - mathematically speaking - Mr Wardley's only about twice as good as me :lol: so there's hope for me yet!
Davey
::
Nope, I hadn't fallen off the map. Although one would be excused for thinking so...

jimothy

Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:19 pm

Keep yer pecker up mike! (nearly :rolleyes:) everyone thinks you did a great job!
Amazing
Box of Tricks $
Double Zero
Frenezy
Impact; Vented, Std, UL $
Maestrale $
Nirvana; Std, UL (reframe)
Ronin
Sweety $
XnTric $

$ for sale

jo

Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:23 pm

you lot are worse than women :lol: :lol: :lol:

randyg

Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:45 pm

I think you have made the right decision, Davey, though I did not agree with you before the comp. It is very limiting for me and others doing the tripod thing. :-P

So Paul, my good friend, I hope this doesn't turn you away from this comp format. I think we all want you, and many others in the next one. Might we see the debut of the Big Bang in the next comp?

BTW, I'm guessing we'll have around 15 competitors next time depending on the time frame of the next comp. I am almost certain you will see 5 vids from the southeastern US next go around, 4 of which are no slouches around a pair of line straps (the 5th being me, LOL!!).

Davey, are you contemplating a time frame yet?
Randy
My Blog

PaulG

Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:50 pm

aerialis wrote:
Please cut this crap!

Not sure what you mean by that! Do you think it to be wrong to vent this?

And Davey, hang in there you are doing a great jobb!

On the issue on how to prevent cheating by editing, its quit simple really!
60 seconds starting with takeoff, is plain and simple just that. Two cutts allowed, 1 at the start and 1 at the end. Nothing between the two "cutting poins" is to be tempered with in anny way other than adding music and\or addjusting brightness\color\contrast.
Fail to meet those requsts then the video is out of the comp!
I honestly don't think anyone wants to cheat! But we must have rules that are simple and not open for any interpretation. As long as we can compete on the same terms I'm in for the funpart of it.

And yes I agree your scenario with few or non participants is far worse!
Paul.

-=I think my spaceship knows which way to go=-

Davey
Topic Author

Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:52 pm

S'ok - I feel that this being discussed now will get it all out and dealt with before the next round starts (which is soon btw...)

The ambiguity came in my own wording in the guidelines on the 'official' site... Although the guide did ask for the unedited clips, I only advised against 'special effects such as slow-mo...' The clip *would* have been DQ'd if I'd honestly felt that I hadn't been ambiguous (it almost was as ABW nearly forgot to vote ;) ) - but I'll chalk it down to experience, make a note of it and do my best to try to assure future competitiors that everything is being run as fairly and as fun as possible.
Davey
::
Nope, I hadn't fallen off the map. Although one would be excused for thinking so...

PaulG

Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:55 pm

:P tnx Randy! I think I'll enter with a stack of BB's next time :lol:
Paul.

Juha
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:58 pm

randyg wrote:
BTW, I'm guessing we'll have around 15 competitors next time depending on the time frame of the next comp.

For the next round we also expect more competitors from Britain & Finland, and hopefully from Germany, France and Norway too (once VF gets properly announced on their forums). 8-)

As for the limiting things that most everyone taking part faces in one way or another - let's just accept they're gonna be part of this kind of contest. Be it using a tripod, having 20 minutes every 2 weeks to shoot, falling ill, camera batteries running out, continuous bad weather... some of these can't be avoided. But the goal IMO is to have the best possible compromise for everyone while preserving the basic idea of the competition - having fun while approximating real-life competition circumstances.

Juha

randyg

Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:58 pm

Sound very, very good, Juha!! anyone expecting some of the big names to come out and play?
Randy

My Blog

jo

Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:45 pm

I think it is great that across miles of sea and stuff there is a bit of fun in the sense of a competition. The rules seem pretty obvious and for those that need to bend them well you need to get a life, The rules are the same for all, so the limitations are the same for all. I really enjoyed watching you chaps and judging in my ignorance and think its ace that whether you are crap or ace u had a go, power to your elbow etc.
It seems that kite fliers are laid back dudes....................................from what I have seen I aint so sure. I enjoy watching crap fliers trying and achieving and from knowing some on here would rather watch 60 seconds of a novice having a bit of a crack than a pro being retentive.

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:04 pm

randyg wrote:
anyone expecting some of the big names to come out and play?

but Randy your already in it :wink:

randyg

Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:11 pm

Craig wrote:
randyg wrote:
anyone expecting some of the big names to come out and play?

but Randy your already in it :wink:

Laugh! LOL Nice one Craig. :winknkiss:

I think it is great that across miles of sea and stuff there is a bit of fun in the sense of a competition.

I do too!! :rockout2:
Randy

My Blog

Martin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:48 am

Davey, you have done a stirling job of keeping this going, though i was party to its conception, i have had no input since...well my advice is keep going the way want it to go, Paul doesnt know what he wants, on the one hand he is complaining bout the fact that ABW edited, then he is complaining that the no edits rule sucks, i think it is fundamental to the comp

www.fracturedaxel.co.uk

SteveR
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:52 am

Paul,

As one of the competitors who:

1) entered a video
2) was not my "best" i.e. not planned for the comp
3) I came at the bottom end, as EXPECTED

I have two comments:

I am more than happy with the "rules", the "spirit" of the competition.

You will (at the moment;)) allways beat me on both scores

So dont take the piss out of what I and the other competitors did. Its for FUN. I really respect your flying, but not your opinion (any more) Reflect, and take part next time.

Well done to ABW, if you think he should have "lost" because of a 10second flip FFS you again miss the whole point of kites, let alone freestyle "concepts" etc etc.

Rant over.

Edited for typos

PaulG

Sun Sep 19, 2004 2:03 am

I give up!
Just read my postings Martin I'm pretty clear on what I want!
And Steve I'm not trying to piss on anything, not sure where you got that from.
And could we plz keep it off the personal level?
Paul.