Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Davey, Yan, Zippy8

Davey
Topic Author

Round One - Post match analysis

Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:06 pm

Couldn't afford Andy Gray or whoever so I'll do it myself.

Firstoff - a thanks to those who took part, with the submission and voting etc. It's a big step to put your flying out for everyone to see - And it's appreciated.

My thoughts on round 1 and a few things that I want to clarify:

Don't vote for yourself: You can't really be objective about your own flying, so don't do it. This is about how you rate the competition.

Competitor's voting is pretty much compulsory: Looking at it mathematically everyone who submits really should vote. If not everyone votes then the scores are skewed with a non-voter basically sitting back and soaking up the points that everyone else is giving them. So to keep it fair it was agreed that anyone not voting would be treated as if they had withdrawn from the comp. After all everyone has gone to the trouble to d/l and watch your video, may as well be polite and return the favour.

This is about flying - not editing: It is taken as read that a number of flyers use tripods and may not be able to keep the kite in frame for the full segment, and it's appreciated that they still submit even with this 'handicap' - what I don't want is for this to become an editing game, with kites being kept in frame by fastforwarding, awkward landings etc being skipped in order to keep the kite 'visibly' in the air and in frame all the time. Taking this to it's conclusion this could easily become a montage of tricks in 2 second intervals, killing the whole principle of the comp format.

Just to be clear - clips should be unedited, edited clips will be DQ'd from here on - Nuff said.

Launches should mark the start of the clip: To keep some level of structure to the flying, any clip submitted should begin with a launch of any type. It's really to make a defined 'start' to the routine you're flying.

Clips should include 60 seconds of flying: Short or long clips will miss out to a degree - An overly short clip should affect the score accordingly, where an overly ong clip shuld have anything over the alloted time ignored for scoring purposes.

That's it for now... I'm sure there'll be some more when I've time to think about it a bit further...

Comments, please?
Davey
::
Nope, I hadn't fallen off the map. Although one would be excused for thinking so...

Zippy8

Re: Round One - Post match analysis

Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:59 pm

Davey wrote:
Comments, please?

Much respect to Davey and his backroom support for setting this up.
Equal respect to those who put something in and made up the competition.

They should all be a lesson to us all. Perhaps a precautionary lesson in some cases, but a lesson nonetheless.

Mike.

Andy S
King of FA

Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:11 pm

Wasn't this all specified in advance anyway?

abw

Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:13 pm

Andy wrote:
Wasn't this all specified in advance anyway?

I think he's re-iterating it for those of us who weren't paying attention first time round. :oops:

A

randyg

Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:49 pm

It has been said but I want to reiterate my appreciation to Davey and all who had a part in getting this off the ground. Kudos to actually pulling it off. It went very well IMO! 8)

It might be a good idea to place a locked "sticky" to the top of this VF section with a list of all the rules for the competitors to cover requirements for the actual video and the parameters for voting. It, IMO, should be kept simple and straightforward as I feel fun is number one and winning down the list a bit.

Also, I did see one video that had fast forwarded sections but I assumed the competitor was fuzzy on that so I did not deduct for it.

Congrats to abw for his win! I am looking forward to the next competition and hoping we get many more competitors involved. Maybe a prize for the winner next time. 8)
Randy
My Blog

Davey
Topic Author

Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:57 pm

randyg wrote:
It might be a good idea to place a locked "sticky" to the top of this VF section with a list of all the rules for the competitors to cover requirements for the actual video and the parameters for voting. It, IMO, should be kept simple and straightforward as I feel fun is number one and winning down the list a bit.

I'll pop a sticky here and keep the VF site fresh as far as rules etc. are concerned. There's a couple of suggestions (e.g. links to players / codecs etc) that'd be worth putting in place.

As for 'prizes' - I can't promise anything 'big' but I've had a few suggestions and have an idea or two of my own.
Davey
::
Nope, I hadn't fallen off the map. Although one would be excused for thinking so...

randyg

Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:05 pm

This is getting better and better. \:D/
Randy

My Blog

abw

Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:58 pm

randyg wrote:
Also, I did see one video that had fast forwarded sections but I assumed the competitor was fuzzy on that so I did not deduct for it.

Yep, on mine the kite was out of frame for about 10 seconds, so I sped that bit up. I assumed that was within the spirit of the rules and thought the speedy up was better than a direct cut that might suggest I took two different sections and glued them together.

My thanks also to Davey and all the other competitors. For the first run of a competition I think it's been a great success.

I am of course greatly flattered to have won (and a little surprised given the poor quality of the video), but thanks for your votes anyway. I must admit I was rather surprised to see Andy so far down. I had him in first, then Randy, Juha and the others the same order as they finished in the official votes.

Maybe I'm just biased towards videos with itty bitty kites that you can hardly see. :-)

Anyway, good job everyone!

A

Andy S
King of FA

Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:35 pm

Well done Andy!

I think my kite was just a little too itty bitty perhaps. I'm going for the RandyG look next time, up close and personal. Perhaps some shooting during timeouts at the Wild Thangs where we can all film each other might be in order.

Good work Davey and Juha who really put a lot into it after the initial ideas had been thrashed out, and Ed for hosting my file, amongst others.

It was good fun, and surprisingly exciting at the end (considering it was completely online and we're collectively hundreds and hundreds of miles apart).

Roll on VF II!

aerialis

Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:44 pm

randyg wrote:
...Maybe a prize for the winner next time. 8)

I might come up with something from my shop :-)
Sven A
--
AERIALIS Kites
http://kites.aerialis.no/

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:08 pm

abw wrote:
I must admit I was rather surprised to see Andy so far down.

me too, but then my vote don't count

Juha
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:15 pm

Well, that was fun. :D

I think we got a very good start for VF overall. Congratulations to Andy for winning and a big "well done" to everyone, particularly those who were brave enough to put their flying online for the first time. It's not as easy as it seems.

Juha

Andy S
King of FA

Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:19 pm

I'd also like to add that the flyers coming in last shouldn't feel in any way discouraged to enter again... Every single video had something good to offer, was worth the download and the watch. This is the sort of thing that pushes your game. If I hadn't spent the summer in TO there's no way I'd be half the trick flyer I am at the moment.

"I didn't get where I am today...." ;)

I'm going to archive all these away on my h/d somewhere...

John Welden

Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:46 am

This forum sucks. Anything the panzy ass admin doesn't agree withe gets erased. I guess it goes along with the typical kite community BullSh*t attitudes. You can only talk about rainbows, magical elves and how much you love everyone. I'll watch the Disney channel if I want to hear that kinda bull.

woody65

Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:33 am

I'll watch the Disney channel if I want to hear that kinda bull.

I think the Disney Channel is a bit to intellectual for you.