Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Davey, Yan, Zippy8

Zippy8

Re: Virtual Freestyle round 24 results......

Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:27 pm

Yan wrote:
:shock: (looking for the jaw dropping smiley :-D )

Closest we have, I think.

Mike.

kostaaa

Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:37 am

Yan wrote:
What sort of personal statistics?...

like.... how many rounds you have enter till now, what is the average score that people gives you in every round (number between 0-10 for Technical and Artistic) and in all rounds, the lowest & the highest score, average position in all rounds.
Also, "Rank" that will express the sum of all received points, counting from 1st of January to 31th December... and "Top Score index" (better name?) which means how close are you from the top. For example if in one round there are only 5 entries the TSI will looks like this:

1st place -> 100%
2nd place -> 75%
3rd place -> 50%
4th place -> 25%
5th place -> 0%

This can be helpful for tracking your progress ("Where do am I compared to the others!?") in every round.... and also in the whole year/season -> Average TSI.
At the end of the season the guy with the biggest Rank will be the Absolute Winner of the Year! :D

fourmatic

Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:05 am

wow :D

waiting for a big debats soon.

The only question is: who makes all that statistics? It seems to be a little bit complicated to our organiser(s).
Is it necessary in VF content frames?
There may be no one wants to be a looser of the year. :lol: In public announcement.

Yan
Topic Author

Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:48 am

kostaaa wrote:
like.... how many rounds you have enter till now, what is the average score that people gives you in every round (number between 0-10 for Technical and Artistic) and in all rounds, the lowest & the highest score, average position in all rounds.
Also, "Rank" that will express the sum of all received points, counting from 1st of January to 31th December... and "Top Score index" (better name?) which means how close are you from the top. For example if in one round there are only 5 entries the TSI will looks like this:

1st place -> 100%
2nd place -> 75%
3rd place -> 50%
4th place -> 25%
5th place -> 0%

This can be helpful for tracking your progress ("Where do am I compared to the others!?") in every round.... and also in the whole year/season -> Average TSI.
At the end of the season the guy with the biggest Rank will be the Absolute Winner of the Year! :D

A VF league? 8-)
but as Alex says I'm not sure Adrian or I have the time to make this happen. Unless there is an easy way to link the results in some kind of computer generated doohickey and get the stats delivered on a plate?

kostaaa

Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:21 am

hmm.... I had not thought about the biggest looser of the year! :mrgreen:
Only the top 20 pilots can be announced..... so, even on the last place it's cool to be one of the best. :cool:

I have an idea how it can be done.... (Yan, check your PM inbox).

bryan beasley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:55 pm

Apus package arrived in the post today... all safe and sound.

I'll get photos when I can find the camera, but 'tis a thing of simplistic beauty. Kudos Peter, great looking kite and kindly gesture. Appreciated.

Bryan

Zippy8

Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:00 pm

As a quick aside to the earlier request for some data mining.... I've taken a look at trying to represent a sequence of results and if there is anything even half way reasonable to be got from this. I took the last 5 rounds of VF as a data sample. Straight away an issue presented itself.

In rounds 19 to 24 there have been 48 separate entrants (OK, a couple could be duplicates but I don't know) and trying to present that amount of data sets coherently isn't easy. Any sort of graph with that many traces on it will be unintelligible.

Any data to be worthwhile has to be presented in context. You must be able to compare your numbers to others and even over those five rounds only 7 of the 48 competed in each round. Looking at a chart I made it looks like they all had a poor round 21 but there were just more entrants so their relative position was largely unchanged.

Anyhooo.... in my "expert" opinion you just aren't likely to get anything more worthwhile than Quite Interesting out of scouring the results for meaning or enlightenment. Feel free to demonstrate my error if you wish.

Mike.

ObijuanKenobe

Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:31 pm

I believe the primary motivation for any further data processing would be to crown a 'winner' over a year.

That seems very unworthy of VF.

If that is what you are after, then you have to go by place points of some kind. 5 points for first, 3 for 2nd, 2 for 3rd, and 1 for fourth, and add up everything you got over a year to determine the winner.

Personally, I think it is much cooler to think over longer time scales. In that case, there is but one King of VF...and only one way to unseat him.

King of Kong was a great movie, by the way.

obi
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

Zippy8

Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:29 pm

ObijuanKenobe wrote:
I believe the primary motivation for any further data processing would be to crown a 'winner' over a year.

That seems very unworthy of VF.

Not something I will be spending any time doing. :-|

Personally, I think it is much cooler to think over longer time scales. In that case, there is but one King of VF...and only one way to unseat him.

Hmmm..... if it were me I'd use the normalised scores (ie; top score is 100, all other relative to that) but I'd probably also have two rankings - one absolute (as an All Time Leaderboard) and another decaying older results with time to produce an up-to-date ranking.

Who knows... the evenings are drawing in, I get a lot of time off work. I might have a run at it.

Or not. :wink:

Mike.