Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Davey, Yan, Zippy8

Davey
Topic Author

Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:59 pm

*sigh*

Sorry about the tone of some of the above post... Not in character for myself...

As has been stated the rules are up for (constructive) discussion... At least after the first attempt.
Davey
::
Nope, I hadn't fallen off the map. Although one would be excused for thinking so...

Eddie Green

Sun Sep 12, 2004 3:58 pm

Sorry, m8, it wasn't meant to be a go ... just an ongoing discussion about a new format.

Those of us who struggle under the present system have still posted something, and I do feel I have some investment in the whole thing otherwise I wouldn't be offering easy upload space ...

Martin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:08 pm

The one continous clip was actually my idea, i didnt want this to be about video editing, i wanted it to be about kite flying, IMHO if you start letting people get creative with the editng software then the comp ceases to be Virtual freestyle....

www.fracturedaxel.co.uk

jo

Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:18 pm

Actually it was all my idea I just forgot to mention it :badgrin:

Zippy8

Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:21 pm

How about two classes: editted videos (we can call it Masters) and uneditted (we can call it Novices).

Of course, the Masters videos will be better but the people taking part will only be doing it for relaxation and the acknowledgement of their peer group, while the Novices will approach it competitively and be expecting some sort of reward for their efforts.

Got legs as an idea ? :blush:

Mike.

Juha
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:40 pm

Martin wrote:
The one continous clip was actually my idea,

I don't much care whose idea it was or wasn't (and the same goes for the whole comp, by the way), but IMHO it's the ONLY sensible way to do it. In fact, I personally wouldn't participate in any competition where you're allowed to edit several clips together, as I see no point in that whatsoever. See my reply to Randy above.

Let's just see if we can get this thing off the ground before stomping it to death, ok people?

Juha

abw

Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:39 pm

Martin wrote:
The one continous clip was actually my idea,

Just in case there's any confusion, I didn't mean to suggest it was a bad idea.

I think it's a good idea for precisely the reasons Martin stated, but it's just damn tricky to get the kite in frame for 60 seconds and big enough to see.

But yeah, let's just go with it. We learn these things as we go along.

A

jo

Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:04 pm

Tie the camera to your head and watch the kite :lol:

Davey
Topic Author

Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:23 pm

jo wrote:
Tie the camera to your head and watch the kite :lol:

Genius Jo - Sheer blooming genius... I love it! - Works for sky-divers :D

Now then... Where's my duck tape?
Davey
Nope, I hadn't fallen off the map. Although one would be excused for thinking so...

Eddie Green

Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:25 pm

Yeah, to 2nd ABW's point .. It would just be easier for me :) ... I can understand the reasons for not doing it ...

I was thinking more of two or three 'clips' put together rather than a fully edited type thing, cos if I could take a flying session and cut out the off cam stuff then it would make my life a little bit easier ... :p

Martin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:37 pm

maybe the fact that you need a buddy to help is a good thing, will help forge bonds and frendship and maybe we could come up with a "tag team" element to the proceedings

Martin

www.fracturedaxel.co.uk

SteveR
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:39 pm

plus having a second person to film you acts as a validation that it was 60 seconds of real time flying....as if we need it of course as we all love each and wouldn't dream of editing out the mistakes ;)

randyg

Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:37 pm

I did not mean to start a huge debate. It will be very tough for me to compete in the present format in the future. I also did not know the kite had to stay in frame for the entire video. :o It will be tough to comply with such limiting rules for this flyer.

Of course, this is you guys comp so do whatever you please with it and I will try to comply the best I can. :) I agree it has been fun and I would like to do it again. In future videos, just don't complain about not being able to see the kite at such a distance like others have over on GWTW. :P

Juha, how much do tripods cost over there? Some of you guys act like they are expensive or something, LOL! :shock:
Randy
My Blog

Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:45 pm

Randy, it's not that the kite has to stay in frame for the full 60 seconds - It's just that no-one can see what you're doing outside that ;)

There's no penalty for not being able to see the kite all the time.

Davey
Topic Author

Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:46 pm

Oops - that was me...
Davey