Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Davey, Yan, Zippy8

Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:02 pm

Didn't catch this until today, tried to run out and grab some video, but the wife drove off with the camera in the van! Was fun flying anyway, I'll have to catch the next time around

racejoe

Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:03 pm

Sorry wasn't logged in! That last one was me.

randyg

Sun Sep 12, 2004 3:12 am

racejoe wrote:
Didn't catch this until today, tried to run out and grab some video, but the wife drove off with the camera in the van! Was fun flying anyway, I'll have to catch the next time around

We'll look forward to it, Joe!! :D
Randy
My Blog

abw

abw Virtual Freestyle

Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:59 am

I realise I may be too late, but I was working on some video yesterday and managed to find a minute of nearly-all-in-frame video.

Of course, the downside is that the kite is so small, you can hardly make out what it's doing, but it's essentially this: corkscrew, comet, backspin, wrap, lazy, unwrap to tips. Lazy, double axel, backspin mutex, wrap to tailbone and unwrap to backspin. Meteor, axel, fade, wrap, wrap again, belly down, unwrap to nose, unwrap again to fade, backspin, flic-flac to flat spin mutex. Some double axels, a lazy, revert and drop to tips.

Who's crazy idea was this anyway? :-)

http://wardley.org/movies/kites/vfreestyle/sep2004.mp4

A

SteveR
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:03 am

That'll NEVER win ;)

abw

Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:07 am

SteveR wrote:
That'll NEVER win ;)

Where do I sign up for the Virtual National Championships? :-)

A

Zippy8

Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:53 am

Who's crazy idea was this anyway?

I give in. Whose ?

Mike.

abw

Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:47 am

Zippy8 wrote:
Who's crazy idea was this anyway?

I give in. Whose ?

Mike.

Guilty!

Although it wasn't my idea that the kite had to stay in frame all the time... that does make it kinda tricky if you don't have a cameraman handy.

A

SpOoC
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:49 am

Last edited by SpOoC on Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Refusing to use the spellchick!

Eddie Green

Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:21 am

abw wrote:
Guilty!

No it was my idea.

Juha
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:41 am

randyg wrote:
definitely those of us without a cameraperson are in a bit of a strait

I know what you're saying Randy, but there are limitations in this thing for everyone, just different ones. I sometimes have a cameraperson in my disposal (about one session every 2 weeks), but don't own a tripod. That means I have to go with the material shot during that one short session, no matter what - if the wind sucks or it rains just then, I'm out of luck.

Now, for "showcase" type videos, I don't really like tripod stuff, but it's different in a comp like this. I think it's very well possible to display both the technical side and the "flow" of one's flying using a tripod. Also, Mr Tripod has a LOT more patience than your average cameraperson - maybe all this evens the playing field nicely. 8-)

It would be nice to find a way to let flyers put together a two or three clips

Well, IMO that would both add unnecessary complexity to making VF videos (and thus raise the treshold of taking part) and go against the idea of the competition - which is not to display the ability to put together a nice-looking bit of flying, but actually fly it, from beginning to end.

Juha

SteveR
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:57 am

I intend to shoot a 60 second clip with the camera in a fixed position. There will only be about 10 seconds of the kite visible in the frame during the minutes filming, such will be the radical nature of my programme.

Although in those 10 seconds you will *only* see a 540 and half a JL, please be assured that the remining *out-of-frame* content will follow roughly ABW's programme. After all, this is a VIRTUAL event, right? C'mon, give me a break, I'm not coming last AGAIN! ;)

Eddie Green

Sun Sep 12, 2004 12:01 pm

I actually don't think the advantages from being able to put together a few clips into a pleasing whole are that great. Personally I think any 60 second clip should be acceptable and people should be happy to play their advantages - be it living near a field with decent wind or having a decent video set-up, or being able to edit their choppy city flying into a coherant whole. Seems a lot fairer to me.

jimothy

Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:13 pm

Let's not start another debate here, guys. the rules are set - let's try to stick to them for at least a week or two... :D
Amazing
Box of Tricks $
Double Zero
Frenezy
Impact; Vented, Std, UL $
Maestrale $
Nirvana; Std, UL (reframe)
Ronin
Sweety $
XnTric $

$ for sale

Davey
Topic Author

Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:11 pm

Flippsakes! Haven't even finished the first run and the comp-format wolves are on the prowl...

We're doing this for a trial - The guidelines were stated pretty clearly - We're trying to keep the 'flying' aspect at the fore - not the 'editing' aspect. It's appreciated that not everyone will have a cameraman available and the difficulties of keeping the kite in frame. I'd suggest you live with it :p What'll end up with heavily edited clips is that their technical score may be high enough, but the artistic one will be low given the lack of coherent flying.

There are just my thoughts... Heck what should that matter - I'm only the mug who wanted to move this from a 'discussion' and give it an actual go...
Davey
::
Nope, I hadn't fallen off the map. Although one would be excused for thinking so...