Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Davey, Yan, Zippy8

Bakardi

Re: Artistic content?

Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:00 pm

I'm not a fan of commenting 'how bad my conditions were' before, during or after a VF entry.
We've all been there and you deal with what your given.
It would be a shame if entries have been scored...differently.... because of it.

Mike

ghfisanotti

Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:52 am

Yes both were nice vids but settings like that aren't available to everyone and video editing isn't suposed to count if i understand correctly.

You understood correctly, there is no "strictly artistic content" category in VF, I was just hypothesizing, I mean, if there was a category like that. Of course, I understand that it wouldn't be pilot-related, somebody may hire a professional cameraman and video editor and get a great looking video even when the flying was not great.

I share with Yan his opinion about Alex's video, he surely deserves extra points for flying in those extreme weather conditions! On the other hand, I should say that I guess it isn't very difficult to achieve a good looking video if you're flying in a beach by the Mediterranean.

ghfisanotti

Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:00 am

Yan wrote:
Very nice touch, but I wouldn't score Davide's video higher because of it.

I agree with you 100% and I didn't score it higher for that, anyhow, I enjoyed his video a lot.

Bakardi

Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:08 am

ghfisanotti wrote:
...he surely deserves extra points for flying in those extreme weather conditions!

Well done for going out in those conditions but why should extra points be given?...we all fly in difficult conditions, some choose to mention it, other don't. It shouldn't have a bearing on the score unless it forms part of the scoring criteria.
It's hard enough scoring the darn thing as it is...

Mike

Ca Ike
Topic Author

Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:10 am

Bakardi wrote:
ghfisanotti wrote:
...he surely deserves extra points for flying in those extreme weather conditions!

Well done for going out in those conditions but why should extra points be given?...we all fly in difficult conditions, some choose to mention it, other don't. It shouldn't have a bearing on the score unless it forms part of the scoring criteria.
It's hard enough scoring the darn thing as it is...

Mike

This is another thing thats not equal. Extreme weather where I am is 30F and raining on one end and 115F on the other so why should someone get a higher score because they live in freezing snowy areas? The only conditions that should matter is wind speed and type of kite IMO. Flying a STD that has a low end of 5mph in 1-3 mph and getting it to perform well(and stay in frame) is a skill in itself and really that would show in the flying where as an SUL in 1-3 isn't nearly as difficult but still takes skill not to over control it. Same conditions different set of skills. I wish I had a true SUL or 4D when i made my entry but my Zeph was what I had in and winds were a steady 0-1mph with gust to 3mph and some say just the fact I was able to fly in that deserved some points along with the few tricks I could get out of it. You do what you can with what your given for the most part, but thats technical skill more than art imo.

ObijuanKenobe

Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:18 pm

Videos shot on beaches with sun and temperatures above 25C should be penalized on principle.

No points for cold, but penalties for sunshine and beach wind. That makes much more sense. Really...it does. :)

obi
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

Ca Ike
Topic Author

Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:48 pm

ObijuanKenobe wrote:
Videos shot on beaches with sun and temperatures above 25C should be penalized on principle.

No points for cold, but penalties for sunshine and beach wind. That makes much more sense. Really...it does. :)

obi

I think this is meant as a joke but care to elaborate anyway :P

Stan Doff
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:53 pm

ObijuanKenobe wrote:

:lol:

ObijuanKenobe wrote:

obi

The wind blowing on-shore can be so sweet,but too often it just blows hard.
Last Easter my cousin's teenage daughter,on their traditional Eastertime beach-walk,was most amused at her ablity to jump straight up and land some distance from where she had started.
The flag on the beachfront,which gives a rough idea of wind velocity,has born too much of these sort of gales;when last I saw it it comprised barely enough material to make a midget's handkerchief.