Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Davey, Yan, Zippy8

ObijuanKenobe

Re: VF 17 Videos and discussion

Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:42 am

Funny how all the new guys are complaining about angles and whatnot. Like we haven't covered this in previous rounds. :roll:

Really too bad I missed this one. I had footage, but forgot the deadline was last week already.

I would not have competed with the kings, but I can also save this as a backup for next round.

Good luck to everyone.

obi
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

Sub

Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:15 pm

Jon Ward's video was interesting. Police stopped a car :lol:

jaydub

Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:42 pm

Sub wrote:

That explains my flying. Got a bit distracted. :lol:

spike

Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:58 pm

score sheet just left my mailbox
i found it verry hard to judge course there was some great flying

Ca Ike

Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:19 am

ObijuanKenobe wrote:
Funny how all the new guys are complaining about angles and whatnot. Like we haven't covered this in previous rounds. :roll:

Really too bad I missed this one. I had footage, but forgot the deadline was last week already.

I would not have competed with the kings, but I can also save this as a backup for next round.

Good luck to everyone.

obi

I'm sure you have covered it before and I didn't mean it as a complaint but as a new participant still learning I do find some tricks like cascades and cometes as well as figures (if added to the routine) hard to judge from a dead on side view. If you have any tips please feel free to give them.

Ca Ike

Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:58 am

jaydub wrote:
Sub wrote:

That explains my flying. Got a bit distracted. :lol:

Heh I watched it a few times looking for someone being tossed in cuffs.. All in all I think everyone that entered did some great flying.

Yan
Topic Author

Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:40 pm

With about half the scores in, the top spots are all being fought quite hard. Only 10 points between 1st and 2nd place, 9 between 2nd and 3rd and only 1 point between 3rd and 4th.... :D

kostaaa

Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:15 pm

Score sent!
It was difficult to judge.... so many good videos!

ObijuanKenobe

Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:36 pm

Took a gander at the entries, and I have to say...it's a good round! I really found myself enjoying some of the videos for their aesthetic qualities as well. I would like to give particular props to Alex B: Albeit a low resolution video, the whole shot...the factory...the sun off camera right...the angle and distance combine to give me the impression that you are flying an impossibly huge kite on impossibly short lines...just loved it. I would be interested in an HD version of that one for sure.

I also thought it was interesting that Tom P. flew in sunshine on grass...while his son on the same field flew in snow. That was cool.

And as was already mentioned, the variety of kites was great this round. Fantastic turn out!!

Overall, I'd say that after watching the videos, I am more disappointed I missed out on joining this round. It's an epic round full of new talent and one for the archive for sure. Well done, Yan and VF17'ers.

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

Yan
Topic Author

Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:15 pm

Well it's certainly a hard fought round, with the addition of 3 sets sets of results first and second place have swapped... :D third place remains the same but now only 5 points behind....just under 1 week left for all those who haven't got their scores in yet, but the sooner all the scores are in - the sooner I can do the prize draws!

kalle

Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:31 pm

Now who belongs to the group of top5 pilots? ;) :P :D

ghfisanotti

Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:18 pm

ObijuanKenobe wrote:
I would like to give particular props to Alex B: Albeit a low resolution video, the whole shot...the factory...the sun off camera right...the angle and distance combine to give me the impression that you are flying an impossibly huge kite on impossibly short lines...just loved it. I would be interested in an HD version of that one for sure.

obi

I told Alex almost the same, I think his routine is top notch, but the artistic content of his video is amazing. And as a plus, he is doing that excell ent performance while it is snowing, with a temperature of -10 degrees! I wouldn't even get outside in that weather!
He did upload a better resolution version of that video to youtube, look for this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3PTZ0GNO8M

Sub

Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:50 pm

Ca Ike wrote:
I'm sure you have covered it before and I didn't mean it as a complaint but as a new participant still learning I do find some tricks like cascades and cometes as well as figures (if added to the routine) hard to judge from a dead on side view. If you have any tips please feel free to give them.

If you're interested, why not create a new topic here in the Virtual Freestyle forum where people can discuss methods of rating the competition.
I'm sure everyone has their own methods so it will be nice to pick up some hints and tips, whether you're a novice or expert.

Going back to your original comment - the solution is simple, if you can't make out what's going on then it don't get any points for it. Can't be any farer than that can you? :P

Ca Ike

Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:20 am

Sub wrote:
Ca Ike wrote:

If you're interested, why not create a new topic here in the Virtual Freestyle forum where people can discuss methods of rating the competition.
I'm sure everyone has their own methods so it will be nice to pick up some hints and tips, whether you're a novice or expert.

Going back to your original comment - the solution is simple, if you can't make out what's going on then it don't get any points for it. Can't be any farer than that can you? :P
Thats pretty much what I did :P Thanks for being pragmatic and not condescending. This was my first VF and I had a lot of fun with it. For a novice flyer like me its been a good experience and hopefully my flying will improve for the next round :lol:

Yan
Topic Author

Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:50 pm

Two more entry's received today, leaving two people joint second... with five sets of scores still to come it could go any way...