Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Davey, Yan, Zippy8

Ca Ike

Re: VF 17 Videos and discussion

Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:19 am

Zippy8 wrote:
We are not arguing :evil:

[/joke]

• Just FYI.... I don't think I got one video that I even suspected of having been edited. People do seem to have understood that particular point.
  • I would hope that we all agree that a return to the original notion of out-of-frame = out-of-VF isn't going to be welcome.
  • Conversely whilst a free for all would almost certainly lead to greater participation but you've got to wonder about the worth of some of extra entries and I, for one, wouldn't be too happy about trying to score fleeting glimpses of a kite. And I'd be colossally annoyed if a video like that strolled off with a prize.
  • Counting frames/instances of out-of-frame constitutes cruel and unusual punishment. You want Yan to stick around for a bit, don't you ?
  • I really would stick a few hard and fast rules in though - if you simply fly straight out of frame at the start (sorry David) then you might as well have started in the air and if you exit one side of the frame and re-enter through another.
  • Do the other competitors really want to have to decide about DQs as well ? Are we not happy with the benign dictatorship that has characterised the way VF has been run to date ? Forming a committee doesn't feel like a good move.
  • 20MB means the videos can be e-mailed so no issues finding upload locations. It also keeps the overall download size of each round down to non-insane levels. My camera spews out FullHD video at 60fps - that'll be a 300MB file per entry. If you really want a quality war then bring it :biggrin: It also means we can stick whatever music we like on 'cos the files aren't on YouTube or Vimeo who occasionally take offence at these things.

I think VF is just groovy as it is. I can easily accept a few changes here and there and still be happy with it.

Mike.
All good points here Mike and as a novice myself the OOF debate is the one rule that prevented me from sending in some better footage I had(better overall flying in better conditions but with several OOFs) . I think yan has a good handle on what OOf is acceptable and it seems to be close to what you allowed when you ran it.

must86

Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:08 am

Ca Ike wrote:
Zippy8 wrote:
We are not arguing :evil:

[/joke]

• Just FYI.... I don't think I got one video that I even suspected of having been edited. People do seem to have understood that particular point.
  • I would hope that we all agree that a return to the original notion of out-of-frame = out-of-VF isn't going to be welcome.
  • Conversely whilst a free for all would almost certainly lead to greater participation but you've got to wonder about the worth of some of extra entries and I, for one, wouldn't be too happy about trying to score fleeting glimpses of a kite. And I'd be colossally annoyed if a video like that strolled off with a prize.
  • Counting frames/instances of out-of-frame constitutes cruel and unusual punishment. You want Yan to stick around for a bit, don't you ?
  • I really would stick a few hard and fast rules in though - if you simply fly straight out of frame at the start (sorry David) then you might as well have started in the air and if you exit one side of the frame and re-enter through another.
  • Do the other competitors really want to have to decide about DQs as well ? Are we not happy with the benign dictatorship that has characterised the way VF has been run to date ? Forming a committee doesn't feel like a good move.
  • 20MB means the videos can be e-mailed so no issues finding upload locations. It also keeps the overall download size of each round down to non-insane levels. My camera spews out FullHD video at 60fps - that'll be a 300MB file per entry. If you really want a quality war then bring it :biggrin: It also means we can stick whatever music we like on 'cos the files aren't on YouTube or Vimeo who occasionally take offence at these things.

I think VF is just groovy as it is. I can easily accept a few changes here and there and still be happy with it.

Mike.
All good points here Mike and as a novice myself the OOF debate is the one rule that prevented me from sending in some better footage I had(better overall flying in better conditions but with several OOFs) . I think yan has a good handle on what OOf is acceptable and it seems to be close to what you allowed when you ran it.

The OOF rule prevented me from entering since VF12, except for the rejected entry for VF15, up until this round. Keeping the kite in the frame is one of the hardest tricks I've done so far, and I hope it wasn't just a stroke of luck this time.
~Rob.

WinterDaze

Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:01 am

As much to say I was here...

IMO

VF is VF, the 'F' bit says it's a kite flying comp, so it's about flying kites, and for the entrants, hopefully as well as you can, (which ever way that is).

A necessary part of the comp is submitting an entry which is in video form, the 'V' bit...

So...

Video is part of it and it is a skill in it's own right.

To have a valid entry you need to be on the way with these 2 skills (V and F), both of which we aren't born with and which need to be learned, so to the learning we go, and when we are there enough with both we are rewarded with an opportunity to be in the running.

If you get to this point you get a chance to have a valid entry, and being there are juicy prizes to be had, then fitting into the rules is fair and reasonable.

Here's my hard and fast rule... If at any point I freeze a video and there's no kite in it then there is no kite flying going on and is :evil: punished :evil: in the voting as a crime against kite control

I think there should always be a kite in the video doing what you want it to be doing!

Just one mans opinion....
Tako Kichi Gai

Stan Doff
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:03 am

WinterDaze wrote:

Here's my hard and fast rule... If at any point I freeze a video and there's no kite in it then there is no kite flying going on and is :evil: punished :evil: in the voting as a crime against kite control

Flyer A has a fixed camera and goes slightly out of his planned performance area and hence OOPS,he is penalised.
Flyer B struggles for control and continually drifts further away from his start point,but his camera-person keeps the kite in shot so nobody cares.

WinterDaze

Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:18 am

Stan Doff wrote:
WinterDaze wrote:

Flyer A has a fixed camera and goes slightly out of his planned performance area and hence OOPS,he is penalised.
Flyer B struggles for control and continually drifts further away from his start point,but his camera-person keeps the kite in shot so nobody cares.

All good Stan, that's covered in my general scoring which covers 'random 'not really flying your way' wobbly flying' and falls into another :evil: punishment :evil: score zone (there are quite a few crime's against kite control)

I think I have a utopian view on scoring, I like to start each video scoring session by giving everyone 10/10... and as they fly and do things I don't like I take points off

Doesn't everyone?

:badgrin: ;)

/EDIT TBH my bias would favor the extra difficulty in flying with only Mr Tripod, that would be in the skills section of my score sheet, a well tracked shot should gain extra points in flow/art column I would imagine, if only because of the reduced restrictions on their 'mojo'.
Tako Kichi Gai

WinterDaze

Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:12 pm

That being said, Yan you're in the drivers seat, I will line up with everyone else on the next calling, whatever the 'rules' are.

=D> VF for President! =D>
Tako Kichi Gai

ObijuanKenobe

Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:52 pm

VF is a kiting competition.

The 'V' is for virtual, meaning 'on the interweb computer'.

The 'F' is for freestyle, meaning 'flying the kite in your style, whatever that is'.

It is not a video competition, is a kite competition which uses videos to allow the competition to take place on the interwebs.

[/beating a dead horse]

obi
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

Ca Ike

Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:18 am

must86 wrote:
The OOF rule prevented me from entering since VF12, except for the rejected entry for VF15, up until this round. Keeping the kite in the frame is one of the hardest tricks I've done so far, and I hope it wasn't just a stroke of luck this time.
~Rob.

Too bad were on opposite side of the country or I'd meet up for a fly n film session.

must86

Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:58 pm

Ca Ike wrote:
must86 wrote:
~Rob.

Too bad were on opposite side of the country or I'd meet up for a fly n film session.

Yes, 300 miles would be one thing, but almost 3000 is quite a drive ! I'd get my wife to film me, but she's not very good with the camera ! :lol: