Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, bryan beasley, Keithgrif

Tony S

Re: UK Tricks Party Event 2010

Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:01 pm

Bryan - can you give the judges a list of tricks that are either imposed, or nominated in peoples routines. I feel some preparation is warranted !

Have the imposed tricks been published yet ?

Tony

Infinitive

Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:05 pm

Can we camp on site?

I take it from the lack of hands being shown that the only attendees are those actually flying in the TP plus judges.

I take it everyone is on holiday... :( :(
-------------------------------------- Al --------------------------------------

Yan

Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:43 pm

Infinitive wrote:
Can we camp on site?

I take it from the lack of hands being shown that the only attendees are those actually flying in the TP plus judges.

I take it everyone is on holiday... :( :(

Camping is £7 for the weekend, friday and sat. more info here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10195
I'll be getting there friday early evening....M25 permitting. :lol:

bryan beasley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:29 pm

Direct link to competition pack...

http://www.stackuk.org/files/resourcesmodule/@random4bebda6eb4e6c/1275054748_STACK_UK_TP_2010_competitors_info.pdf

Published a while back TS with the imposed tricks in there. As far as the Ballet tricks go, there's 6 of us - each with 2 lists of 9. You'll be fine ;-)

Don't worry Al, there'll be hordes of folk around - or maybe not ;-) who can tell?

As a side issue, there's a potential shortage of Judges after a couple of messages this last week, certainly Saturday - maybe Sunday as well, so if any extra 'hand raisers' are around who know what they're looking at can help - that would be nice. Otherwise I'll drop out and do it myself.

Bryan

Yan

Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:12 pm

bryan beasley wrote:
Otherwise I'll drop out and do it myself.Bryan

Can't we just share extra judging duty's between us?

Infinitive

Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:17 pm

Yan wrote:
bryan beasley wrote:
Otherwise I'll drop out and do it myself.Bryan

Can't we just share extra judging duty's between us?

That's not very official.

And I don't want to judge.

I would give Chris zilch for everything. O:)
-------------------------------------- Al --------------------------------------

uktotty

Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:46 pm

See you all there :)
Benson DS - Fury Full Size - Rev 1.5SUL - Rev 1.5 SLE - Alpha Plus - Cody - 3 Symphony's - 2 NPW's - Viper - Vento - Wild Thang - Flexifoils - Elliot Mystic

Infinitive

Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:24 pm

Isn't 10am a bit early? There are only 6 of us flying after all...

And why is Rolling Cascade so low and MultiLazy so high on the trick ladder? :-D :-D :-D

Infinitive

Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:21 pm

That was a great weekend, MASSIVE thanks to those who made it happen.

:D :D

Yan

Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:46 pm

A few random pics here.

The pictures really don't do the weekend justice. It was more than just a chance to meet, fly with and test your skills against the best in the UK, there was lots of time for the party side and get to know people away from the kites.

As Al has already said
Infinitive wrote:
That was a great weekend, MASSIVE thanks to those who made it happen.
:D :D

Particular thanks to Bryan for making things happen =D>

Trick Kiting is a great sport, and the best bit is how willing the top flyers are to take in and support the the under dog! Thanks guys. 8)

Bring on TP2011 :twisted:

any chance of two weekends next year?

bryan beasley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:54 pm

Home now, and van un-packed - just waiting on my turn in the bath, so I thought I'd write this up whilst it's fresh... Sitting comfortably? - Then I'll begin.

First off, great big thanks to all thems' that turned up and came out to play - and thems' that turned up, hung around watched and supported. Apprieciated. I hope the show was worth it.

Bigger thanks to Tony and Doug for judging duties, and Mary-Anne for field direction. Can't do it without y'all. Doug stepped into the line of duty last minute after a bit of gentle persuation and really came through for us - nice one. Tony has been and done this more than a few times - appreciated every time, and Mary-Anne ran around like a good-un in a new format she'd never seen before - Well done. Oh, and thanks to the Missus for some deft calculator button pushing. Ta Babe. ;-)

One more Thank You to Keith for making a long day-trip to make the Arena and PA available to us, and remembering nearly everything. ;-)

OK, Saturday.

Wind was ermmm... variable and challenging, whilst not being harsh enough to cause too many problems. Pretty much STD conditions - a bit of sunshine and a bit of cloud. T'was allright really - can't remember being rained upon much.

TP Imposed Tricks - Spike, Comete, Rolling Cascade, Slot Machine.

1st - Chris Goff (Fury .85) - 29.5 (73.75)
2nd - Piero Serra (CTC) - 28 (70)
3rd - Jon Eales (CTC) - 20.5 (41.25)
4th - Bryan Beasley (CTC) - 16.5 (41.25) :roll:
5th - Al Tanner (CTC) - 10 (25)
6th - Yan Spooner (Se7en) - 1 (2.5) - 1st day nerves and arena wobbles ;-)

It was kind of agreed that this set of imposed tricks was tough for a kick off set - certainly a challenge to hit 'em well.

TP Ballet

1st - Chris - 107 (105.9)
2nd - Piero - 94.5 (93.56)
3rd - Bryan - 85 (84.15)
4th - Jon - 71.5 (70.79) This for me, was an object lesson in exactly was TP Ballet is all about. Sweet flying - simple tricks, executed cleanly and well with a smooth flow to the whole thing. Nice fly Jon.
5th - Yan - 56 (55.44)
6th - Al - 54 (53.46)

The wind, as described, wasny perfick - but there was some great performances in here. It really highlights strengths and weaknesses in control, Arena Craft and the ability to know limitations where they are.

Overall day 1 then.

1st - Chris - 179.65
2nd - Piero - 163.56
3rd - Bryan - 125.4
4th - Jon - 122.04
5th - Al - 78.46
6th - Yan - 57.94

We did some other stuff to fill time and drew a horde of 4 or 5 appreciative spectators.

Trick Ladder. (Big fun this BTW, with everyone on the field at the same time and DJ Doug Superfly on the mike. ;-) )
Open to all...

Yan dropped out first - failing on Insanes.
Keith was next - missing his 540
Tony fell next having lost his backspins - or was it the fade that was lost?
Al and Jon both missed flic-flac (That's CTC's for you ;-) )
That left Chris, Piero and Bryan.

The next bit ain't really worth talking about - inconsequential - doesn't matter at all - Meh!

Oh, OK, Chris hit his Taz on the .85 and both Me and Piero missed 'em on the CTC's. I mean really, F - F - S. Couple of nice Twix's though. ;-) Ermm. Chris won.

So, seedings applied and the TO went like this...

Chris v Tony - Chris wins
Keith v Jon - Jon wins
Bryan v Yan - Bryan wins
Al v Piero - Piero wins

Semis.

Chris v Jon - Chris wins
Bryan v Piero - Bryan wins

Final.

Chris v Bryan - Chris wins.

Nice day Saturday - all reasonaly relaxed, everything went through pretty smoothly, well done all. Piero had sorted out Al's hoodie early on and some mad scientists were blowing up Oxy-something-or-other balloons to music later on, which was entirely unnecesary and way too loud, other than than, 's all good.

Sunday.

Sunshine and lighter, more favourable winds - looked like being a nice day.

TP imposed tricks - Cascade, Rolling Susan, Slot Machine, 2 pt landing. Them there nice judges had obviously listened to the requests for easier ticks then, except that when it comes to it nothing is that easy with a couple of blokes yielding clip-boards behind you demanding you do it there and then.

1st - Chris - 31.5 (78.75) We could have really done with him missing one at this point though!
2nd - Piero - 26 (65)
3rd - Bryan - 24.5 (61.25) (I've gotta learn how to land a CTC properly ;-) )
4th - Jon - 20 (50)
5th - Al - 17 (42.5)
6th - Yan - 12 (30) Better, but 2nd day nerves and Arena Wobbles again. ;-)

TP Ballet

1st - Chris - 142 (140.59)
2nd - Piero - 135 (134.15) Absolute class flying all weekend BTW, Sublime control and style - Brilliant, especially this ballet.
3rd - Bryan - 99.5 (98.5)
4th - Jon - 83.5 (82.67)
5th - Al - 74.5 (73.76)
6th - Yan - 50 (49.5)

Superb performamces in here again, helped by the kinder conditions but the definition and actual ballet performances really started to shine through. Top flying, even if you're not at all interested in competing, it'd be worth coming along to next years event just to watch this as a showcase for what we're all about. Good stuff guys.

OK, overall for the day then...

1st - Chris - 219.34
2nd - Piero - 199.15
3rd - Bryan - 159.75
4th - Jon - 132.67
5th - Al - 116.26
6th - Yan - 79.5

Sooo, our TP 2010 National Champion is... well, it's Chris - except he's got a certificate to prove it now. and a Troph... oh wait, no, he's got Jaffa Cakes - except we ate them all. ;-) the gap between 1st and 2nd place over the weekend though, was 30 points (and that's out of 600) - that's like, 2 trick scores difference over a weekend!

OK, we did fill some time on Sunday...

Trick ladder.

Adrian fell first failing his lazy susan (good to see you though)
Yan was next to fail on his Insane (same place as Saturday!)
Jon missed the rolling cascade
Tony missed his comete
Al fell at the Wap doo Wap

That left Chris, Piero and Bryan again. 's all change now though, 'cos Chris missed his Wap as well and DJ Superfly sent him packing off'v the field. ;-)

I missed the Crazy Copter and Piero nailed it and so won through no problem.

Trick out seedings applied - except Craig (nice to see you Craig - freestylin' - 's good for blowing all the shite out of your head on a weekend ;-) ) took my place.

Piero v Jon - Piero wins (after a fly-off though - mighty close)
Yan v Al - Al wins (best flying of his weekend though from Yan! sheesh. ;-) )
Chris v Adrian - Chris wins
Craig v Tony - Tony wins

Semis

Piero v Al - Piero wins
Chris v Tony - Chris wins

Final

Piero v Chris - Chris wins - Absolute Masterclass this, nailed down yo-fades included - Awesome show.

Ok, bathroom is clear, so that's that. One more thank you all to everyone involved - and a mention for Roy and the Northants guys for welcoming us along. Decent Purley uniforms BTW ;-). I do have everyones scoresheets here still, so if you want to see you're own results - drop me an e-mail and I'll punch the numbers in and send 'em on.

Oh, and well done Chris.

Bryan

Keithgrif
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:33 pm

Big thanks to Bryan, not least for the offering to step down from flying to do judging when it looked like we were down to one judge. Thanks to Doug for being persuaded into doing it instead.

Thanks to everyone that did make the effort, STACK just about broke even on this so I'll be willing to try it again next year.

Big slap on back of 'ed to me for forgetting the trophies, You will get them guys, sorry.
Keith
STACK UK
National Director 2006-2012

ExGrads pairs, fourth in Europe 2011!!!
Airheads team, 10th in the world 2012

PaulW

Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:13 pm

Hi Guys,

Just a show of appreciation for the awesome flying that you did at the Jolly Up. My wife and I were two of the hoard of spectators who watched the Saturday Tricks Ladder. I have to say, that particular slot was entirely captivating.

Mainly because as a new flyer like myself or a general public crowd member like my wife, it is difficult to recognise specific tricks in individual routines. However in the Tricks Ladder you not only get a competitive thing going between flyers, you see each trick several times and you can soon become a crowd judge allowing you to get involved.

I think that there is great potential to entertain crowds with the TL slot or something based on that format.

Thanks guys,

Paul.

Yan

Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:51 am

Hi Paul,

Were you the guy with the camera? If you were is there any chance of a look at some?

Glad you enjoyed the trick ladder.

Yan

PaulW

Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:13 pm

Hi Yan,

Sorry it wasn't me with the camera.

cheers

Paul.