Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, bryan beasley, Keithgrif

bryan beasley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:42 pm

Nice debate...

FWIW, I really hate the IRB comp schedules - horrible pilots meetings that drag on for waaay too long, sceduled ground crewing and line judging and all that malarky. I do it 'cos it's worth putting up with in order to compete (though I can understand why some (many) would be put off) - and I enjoy the challenge and test of competition, win lose or come 6th. I do however, have massive respec' and gratitude to the few that do make it happen and create the schedules and such - largely for no thanks at all.

I'm struggling just a bit with 'freestyle' competition generally. 'kin impossible to judge unless everyone knows how difficult or easy any given move / combo is with any given kite in any given conditions, and it's all far too subjective and open to interpretation.

TP is worth looking at a bit harder. As long as competitors are comfortable with the fact that it's a 'this is the way it's done' set of judging criteria. It's not freestyle - it's specific tricks performed in a specific way.

We are hoping to set up a TP-UK resource base and run 1 stand alone TP each season. If you'd like to be involved in this in some capacity or another (and we haven't allready spoken) please just shout - in the meantime, the UK specific rules are coming together (quite slowly 'cos I'm a bit busy at the mo) and we're looking out for suitable venues and dates and such...

Bryan

Gary Matthews
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:02 pm

like the multiline trophies, get lost in someone's attic.

Not mine, mine are displayed for everyone to see..... :cool:

jad

Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:02 pm

Recent FA survey showed 55% alway fly alone. I don't think I'd want my only time with other kiters to be focused on comps. I've only been to 6 or 7 events total
and I mostly wanted to watch, bs, look for interesting stuff. Add poor skills and no small time competition with friends as practice and getting me to compete would have very little to do with format. Format is way down the road.

I think this also comes out to the reality of too few people involved or on the cusp of being involved to do a survey that will establish a better method. Not enough info to decide whats wrong or right.

People going to all the trouble of organizing events should (IMHO) just set it up as they choose as that's as good a way as any and might actually be the best thing to increase participation if only by keeping organizers from low morale caused by trying to influence things they really can't.

Take a bow for what you do.
JeffD

Keithgrif
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:05 pm

:thankyou:
Keith
STACK UK
National Director 2006-2012

ExGrads pairs, fourth in Europe 2011!!!
Airheads team, 10th in the world 2012

backspinfreek

Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:23 pm

how about...

we host all competition on one weekend. that way the schedule is decreased and concentrated, meaning that there is less pressure on taking time off, travelling around the country etc - you only have to prioritise once

if all competition is on one weekend, everyone would make the effort (in theory) so there should be a strong turnout

if all competition is on one weekend, the budget for the whole season can be put into organising one super event (meaning more money for advertising, stalls, supporting events - think bristol)
sash

NEX

Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:19 pm

backspinfreek wrote:
how about...

we host all competition on one weekend. that way the schedule is decreased and concentrated, meaning that there is less pressure on taking time off, travelling around the country etc - you only have to prioritise once

if all competition is on one weekend, everyone would make the effort (in theory) so there should be a strong turnout

if all competition is on one weekend, the budget for the whole season can be put into organising one super event (meaning more money for advertising, stalls, supporting events - think bristol)

February 29th is good for me. :P

Zippy8

Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:17 pm

backspinfreek wrote:
we host all competition on one weekend.

Mike.

Jess

Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:33 pm

u realise the effort that would take?

Tony S

Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:31 pm

some of us might feel that a years practice for one event is a poor return - probably serves us right for practising .....

Tony

Keithgrif
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:25 pm

Jess wrote:
u realise the effort that would take?

Yes we do, don't we... EuroCup!
Keith
STACK UK
National Director 2006-2012

ExGrads pairs, fourth in Europe 2011!!!
Airheads team, 10th in the world 2012

mobius
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:57 pm

backspinfreek wrote:
how about...

This is what the French used to do with their 'finals'.. three rounds over a long weekend.

The last one I did in Paris I think had 16 Junior entrants that had to 'qualify' to get there.
Dave Morley

Vee
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:36 pm

backspinfreek wrote:

:shock: If this ever happens I quit. It doesn't mean it shouldn't be a topic of conversation & if there is enough support for it, it should happen.

BUT, it sounds like my worst nightmare. A years worth of pressure in two days! What happens if there's no wind, or your kite breaks or you get the flu. What happens if the judges picked are the ones who hate your routine or your ground crew fouls up, e.t.c. What happens if there's a thunderstorm & it gets cancelled or the venue pulls out at the last minute.

The big problem is there is no contingency, so if there is ANY problem it leads to an unequal competition at best, no competition at worst.
Also the way that funding goes, it would lead to an extra couple of hundred pounds in the pot, not the thousands it would need to put on something like Bristol.
Love Veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Needs to fly more, now that I can.

Peter

Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:09 am

Having to stand out there most of the day for a weekend judging is bad enough, constant work over 3/4 days is a real pain - as mentioned, think Eurocup!
Anyone who's organised a festival would say no. too much work, I sometimes ask myself "why"??? Being on a club committee I'm often involved in organising and attending events, I think I've an idea of what is required.

mobius
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:31 pm

Vee wrote:
BUT, it sounds like my worst nightmare. A years worth of pressure in two days!

How do you think Olympians feel after 4 years worth of full time training?

But personally.. I think a 1 shot wonder is going too far.
Dave Morley

Tony S

Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:45 pm

Olympians get to do other competitions during those 4 years - like their national competitions ........

I could see an argument for a big single Nationals event if we had regional rounds as qualifying competitions (AKA nationals style), but if we had enough competitors to make that structure a success this debate would not be happening !

Tony