Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, bryan beasley, Keithgrif

mobius
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:01 pm

Everyone seems to putting up good arguements to keep everything as they are! :)
Dave Morley

mobius
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:03 pm

Do we agree there is a problem?

Do we agree change is needed?

Do we still want to have competitions?

Are we all only in this for fun?
Dave Morley

Peter

Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:54 pm

I've just sat down and read all the messages here in one go.

There is still another question (alright, two Q's)here, where do the new flyers come from (and go without seeing this aspect of the sport), and what is the motivation to go into the competitive arena?

One aspect when I was learning and progressing into the sport proper was the involvement of the local club, do we still have that?

I know from my personal experiances in WHKF that this is now minimal, and I have many thanks to go to Dave Thomlinson for his encoragement for my progression (yes, and you Jason, amonst others!).

could it be we need more lower classed fun comps (winter league for one).

All here are mostly experianced flyers that have been around the circuit, I would like to hear from the newer fliers on their thoughts.

LoopyAppleCaron

Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:12 pm

As I see it, a lot of the newer fliers are (or could be) kids. Kids are used to competing in other things anyway, and go to the events because their parents do so. I'm thinking of Cam, Enzo, Michael, Danny, Joe and Cam's friend Josh. If things were more kid friendly and fun, the next line of champions would be on the way through as a matter of course. Maybe some kid centred get togethers, or just quieter fun events to encourage them in a bit more?

Of course, breeding shouldn't have to be the only way to get new competitors ;-)

Keithgrif
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:24 pm

So Caron, what you are saying is:

"I believe that children are the future"
:band:

I'll get my coat...
Keith
STACK UK
National Director 2006-2012

ExGrads pairs, fourth in Europe 2011!!!
Airheads team, 10th in the world 2012

LoopyAppleCaron

Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:35 pm

You clearly don't spend enough time with my two... I'm sending them over with name tags round their necks...

LoopyAppleCaron

Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:27 am

This sort of belongs on this thread, and sort of not, so I'll put it here and am prepared to be shot down in flames...

I was thinking about the kids thing this morning. My (and loads of other) kids spend a lot of the summer holidays doing tennis / football / whatever camps where they go every day to do activities based around what they love. Sort of a non-residential mini boot camp for different activities.

How about a kids summer kite camp each year? It gets them some training, they have fun, the parents get a break, and they get introduced to some gentle competition :)

Keithgrif
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:50 am

Nice idea in theory, and I don't want to be seen to shoot it down in flames.

Initial issues though:
Will need CRB checks for this sort of activity for the staff
For non-residential, is there enough interest in one area for it to work.

I'm willing to look at it as a possibility for next year, we should talk...
Keith
STACK UK

Andy S
King of FA

Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:00 pm

CRB checks shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't have anything shadey in your past.

Parents are always looking for things for their kids to do in the summer. If the events are listed in suitable places, like local newspaper summer activity guides, or listed with the council or whoever organises these things I reckon you'd see a fair amount of activity.

DaveyH

Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:33 pm

Could be talking rubbish here, but the thread quite rightly seems to have centred on the future of competitive flying and its promotion. Other than recruiting from within which always has its limitations and slow march to certain death, Is it possible for the top designers (who for obvious reasons sponsor the top flyers) along with the organisers of the sport to get some sky air time through a documentry or similar? Kite flying is not going to be a top watched sport on TV, but a few half hour pieces could attract a lot of interest ( and advertisement for British manufactures). Like a lot of flyers I gained interest by chance and internet. If I had seen what was possible years ago (a more advanced way of flying than single line) I like many people would have started a long time ago. English baseball is played in 2 cities. Liverpool and Cardiff. The players and families are passionate about this sport. Outside, few have heard about it. Familiar?
There are many paths to the top of the mountain, but the view is always the same.

Keithgrif
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:15 am

Yes, I agree that publicity outside of the normal kite festivals will be key to getting more interest. Th that end we will be doing a round of competition at the British Leisure Show this coming year.

I am hoping to get some good footage together from EuroCup and have it turned into a DVD, maybe this will interest an independent TV company enough to do a short film.

English baseball is played in 2 cities. Liverpool and Cardiff.

That'll be BRITISH baseball then. In fact, Liverpool is practically the capitol of North Wales so it could be WELSH baseball :P
Keith
STACK UK

booty

Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:04 am

Regarding raising the sports profile perhaps you could contact Mike Bushell from the BBC http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/b ... 840846.stm
Just a thought

Andy S
King of FA

Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:50 am

What we need is an interest story. Someone overcoming all odds to become UK champion. Or maybe an intense sibling rivalry. I can almost hear the Hollywood trailer voiceover now.

Keithgrif
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:55 am

@ Booty - thanks, will look at that.

@ Andy, shame Carl and James are so nice really isn't it :-)
Keith
STACK UK

DaveyH

Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:24 pm

Keithgrif wrote:
Yes, I agree that publicity outside of the normal kite festivals will be key to getting more interest. Th that end we will be doing a round of competition at the British Leisure Show this coming year.

I am hoping to get some good footage together from EuroCup and have it turned into a DVD, maybe this will interest an independent TV company enough to do a short film.

English baseball is played in 2 cities. Liverpool and Cardiff.

That'll be BRITISH baseball then. In fact, Liverpool is practically the capitol of North Wales so it could be WELSH baseball :P

Don't know the origins of the name but we used to have some great visits to Cardiff. It was always very competitive but those folk knew how to party.
There are many paths to the top of the mountain, but the view is always the same.