Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Davey, SpOoC

Stephen Hoath

Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:26 pm

NEX wrote:
I saw the Squids new printed kites at Portsmouth, bloody cloth layout is fine if you want flappin edges after a bit of use, all the edges with cloth cut on the diagonal, bout time they got that right.

We shall see how well they hold out but as they are SUL sails and a bit of bag in the trailing edge is not necessarily a bad thing I am not worried yet. So far the benefits from the skin being all one piece are far outweighing any negatives.

If you know of another way of laying out the material so it can be printed on one piece I would be interested to hear your ideas. Does anyone know what the stretch characteristics of Icarex are?

As for the Chinese kites, you get what you pay for. However, I am not aware of any kite designer who is happy that their kites are being made by someone else and sold for cheaper. I can't imagine Mr Benson being impressed if some one started making DS in a similar way, even if you could get a colour choice that Tim doesn't make. From my experience the complexity or otherwise of the original kite is not an issue when it comes to the reproduction market.

It would be interesting to find out if anyone knows the legal implications of knowingly buying a copy of a kite. Would you be personally liable for any losses the original manufacturer might believe they have sustained?

Flying Fish
Topic Author

Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:17 pm

This does raise the question of when is a kite a copy and when isn't it. Is every quad-line kite with one horizontal and two vertical spars a copy of a Rev? Guess not, but how different does it have to be from a Rev not to be a copy? And in general, we do not consider all delta-shaped dual-line kites with two spreaders and two stand-offs in each wing as copies of each other, so again, same question: what is the minimal difference to avoid accusations of copying?

I tried (but failed) to find a copy of the Rev patent, to see exactly how it's described; anyone know where I can find it?

Altocirrus

Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:33 pm

Infinitive wrote:
8) The Cosmic is safe I feel.

Hmmm...

Andy S
King of FA

Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:01 pm

Dromel wrote:
This does raise the question of when is a kite a copy and when isn't it. Is every quad-line kite with one horizontal and two vertical spars a copy of a Rev? Guess not, but how different does it have to be from a Rev not to be a copy? And in general, we do not consider all delta-shaped dual-line kites with two spreaders and two stand-offs in each wing as copies of each other, so again, same question: what is the minimal difference to avoid accusations of copying?

I tried (but failed) to find a copy of the Rev patent, to see exactly how it's described; anyone know where I can find it?

Try this patent for a Kite-like flying device with dual handles and four point control.

Interestingly there's also this patent for a Kite-like flying device with independent wing surface control, although I can't get the images to load.

Vee
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:02 pm

jaydub wrote:
oldflyer wrote:
Infinitive wrote:
because trick kiting is about as popular as naked pogo-sticking

How did you know I was in to naked pogo sticking? don't knock it until you have tried it Al :P

I wonder if Keith can find you a slot in the third arena this weekend. I'm sure Vee would be more than happy to judge the synchronicity of your movements. :lol:

I'm more a field director, than judge, but I'm willing to branch out... :lol:
Love Veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Needs to fly more, now that I can.

Visage

Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:07 pm

I own two Barresi’s and I’ve had a good go on a Chinese quad, but I’m not saying to much as my friend has got himself banned from the Rev forum for talking about them on his site........ lets just say Revelation have good reason to be worried.

I’d give a link to the site but it appears to be down. :?

EDIT: sites back:-

http://www.thekiteden.co.uk/page19.htm

Revue at bottom of page and more info about the ban on page 7
Member of BKF & KKF
aka – fair weather flyer

Zippy8

Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:49 pm

Andy S wrote:
Interestingly there's also this patent for a Kite-like flying device with independent wing surface control, although I can't get the images to load.

Unable to handle a .TIF file ? [-X

Mike,
loves a challenge.

Zippy8

Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:54 pm

Visage wrote:
Review at bottom of page and more info about the ban on page 7

I was then informed by John Baressi that I was banned for life from the rev forum and that this has come from higher up the rev family.....

Don't ever take sides with anyone against the family again. Ever.

Mike.

oldflyer
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:03 pm

Anyone know where I can buy a pogo stick to be ready for my performance in Arena 3 on Saturday?

Infinitive

Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:46 pm

Hey I found a vid of you practicing, pity youtube has such draconian obscenity laws, or you could have put the real deal up there.
-------------------------------------- Al --------------------------------------

Andy S
King of FA

Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:43 pm

Zippy8 wrote:
Unable to handle a .TIF file ? [-X

I just get a Quicktime loader and then nothing (YES even on my Windows machine, thank you.)

Thanks for the jpg though. Is there anything interesting in the pics of the other patent?

oldflyer
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:23 pm

Infinitive wrote:
Hey I found a vid of you practicing, pity youtube has such draconian obscenity laws, or you could have put the real deal up there.

Superb! :shock:

Infinitive

Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:24 pm

ok I stand corrected there are Cosmic rip offs out there, but the people who buy them would not know what the real thing is, nor be willing to pay up for the bonafide product if they knew how much it cost, so Kitehouse aren't really losing any trade over it. Is that sound logic? :?
-------------------------------------- Al --------------------------------------

atho

Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:33 pm

Let me get some more popcorn !!!

Zippy8

Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:45 am

Andy S wrote:
Is there anything interesting in the pics of the other patent?

You're asking me if it's interesting ? :wink:

Beyond the DoublePuppetMasterMindFuck concept; no, nothing interesting. It's another highly specific design described in as broad as possible terms to maximise potential patent coverage.

∞ wrote:
there are Cosmic rip offs out there, but the people who buy them would not know what the real thing is

Just on a personal note.... of all the things that I might wish to copy about the Cosmic TC, the sail "graphic" isn't even on the list.

Copying specific designs = bad.
Using out-of-patent-protection design elements = perfectly OK.

Mike.