Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Davey, SpOoC

Flying Fish
Topic Author

'Chinese Revs'?

Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:43 pm

Does anyone know anything about these Chinese Rev-look-alikes which pop up on eBay regularly (e.g. item #180402454989). They're a lot cheaper than Revs, and, to me at least, look a lot more appealing in terms of colour patterns. Anyone any experience with them to say whether or not they're similar/inferior when it comes to flight characteristics?

Andy S
King of FA

Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:49 pm

Grabs popcorn, sits down...

This should be good.

oldflyer
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:08 pm

They also make dual line kites as well. Now what does this one remind me of?............. 180395087950

I agree - the Rev take offs look great - much nicer graphics. No idea if they are any good though. Also, how long before we have rip off Cosmics, Talons and Deep Spaces for sale? I'm not keen on the development of copied kites.

That's my piece said. :D

Jest_of_EVE
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Location: The exact opposite side of the planet to New Zealand - Bummer!

Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:09 pm

Andy S wrote:
Grabs popcorn, sits down...

This should be good.

Yah, but Bob's now around now :(

Mark

hezz

Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:01 pm

You can have any graphic design you want now, courtesy of Los Hermanos (Pedro & Esteban Gonzalez from Spain) who have special licence from Revolution to make printed Revs. OK so they're a bit more pricey than your Ebay ripoffs but totally customisable to your design requirements.

Mind you, for £100 for a ripoff kite it's not exactly cheap, a new EXP is no more than £100?

Have to agree with oldflyer, why pay some Chinese ripoff company when your money should really go to supporting the original designers? (irrelevant of size of company, turnover or "everyone else is doing it")

Hezz

Flying Fish
Topic Author

Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:20 pm

You can have any graphic design you want now, courtesy of Los Hermanos (Pedro & Esteban Gonzalez from Spain) who have special licence from Revolution to make printed Revs.

Didn't know that, and have immediately bookmarked their web-site; thanks!

Infinitive

Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:30 pm

oldflyer wrote:
Also, how long before we have rip off Cosmics, Talons and Deep Spaces for sale?

Well, those kites are actually difficult to make properly, and about seventeen people want to buy them (because trick kiting is about as popular as naked pogo-sticking, and the sad few who do like it demand that the kite is made properly), and besides, all seventeen of those people already own one.

Whereas a mongoose with lumbago could make a passable Rev, and seventeen hundred people want to buy them and not many of those people want to give three-figure sums to a company which is neither capable of designing an attractive sail design, nor of avoiding the obvious pitfall of emblazoning the word "Revolution" garishly across their kites as if it is some putrid energy drink.

8) The Cosmic is safe I feel.
-------------------------------------- Al --------------------------------------

oldflyer
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:36 pm

Infinitive wrote:
because trick kiting is about as popular as naked pogo-sticking

How did you know I was in to naked pogo sticking? don't knock it until you have tried it Al :P

Gary Matthews
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:46 pm

avoiding the obvious pitfall of emblazoning the word "Revolution" garishly across their kites as if it is some putrid energy drink.

Bit like Aston Martin, putting that ridiculous DB6 badge across the bonnet and rear.... :cool:

Stan Doff
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:51 pm

Infinitive wrote:

8) The Cosmic is safe I feel.

...but for how long?

Let's play "Spot the design influence"
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/kitetrade/m.html ... rom=&_ipg=

Infinitive

Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:26 pm

Gary Matthews wrote:
avoiding the obvious pitfall of emblazoning the word "Revolution" garishly across their kites as if it is some putrid energy drink.

Bit like Aston Martin, putting that ridiculous DB6 badge across the bonnet and rear.... :cool:

I feel the art of subtlety, at least in logo design, has been mastered by the folks at Aston Martin. The graphic design acumen at Rev HQ leaves room for improvement.

-------------------------------------- Al --------------------------------------

jaydub

Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:35 pm

oldflyer wrote:
Infinitive wrote:
because trick kiting is about as popular as naked pogo-sticking

How did you know I was in to naked pogo sticking? don't knock it until you have tried it Al :P

I wonder if Keith can find you a slot in the third arena this weekend. I'm sure Vee would be more than happy to judge the synchronicity of your movements. :lol:

autopilot

Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:48 am

Yep, those Chinese rev copies look much better than real rev's, which are frankly revolting. In fact i often mistake the 80's style 'Revolution' logo as 'Revolting'. (love to fly mine though).

Maybe they could do something with the Prism designs too :p

I thought the Chinese invented kites, so dont knock them until you try them. I think they look worth a punt.

Beachbum

Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:06 am

Infinitive wrote:
...and besides, all seventeen of those people already own one.

Eighteen, I got mine last Saturday.

NEX

Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:02 am

hezz wrote:
You can have any graphic design you want now, courtesy of Los Hermanos (Pedro & Esteban Gonzalez from Spain) who have special licence from Revolution to make printed Revs. OK so they're a bit more pricey than your Ebay ripoffs but totally customisable to your design requirements.

Mind you, for £100 for a ripoff kite it's not exactly cheap, a new EXP is no more than £100?

Hezz

I saw the Squids new printed kites at Portsmouth, bloody cloth layout is fine if you want flappin edges after a bit of use, all the edges with cloth cut on the diagonal, bout time they got that right.
The EXP, the borin as hell EXP is £160.00 at Kiteworld
I also saw one of the Chinese kites at Portsmouth too a red one it looked good and well made the bloke who had it reckoned it flew as well as his B series.