Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Davey, SpOoC

What Rev to buy ???

Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:47 am

morning chaps,

I have a Rev EXP thing, which is doing a reasonable job of seducing me to the dark side at the mo. I have come to the conclusion tho that a slower, more precise kite might let me improve a bit more than just flying the EXP.

So, from the sales blurb, I would want either an SLE (or potentially SLE, SLE UL, SLE vented), or maybe a Rev 1 (with UL spar set) - based on getting a kite that will fly most days.

The competition circuit appears to be full of SLE's (i.e. safe bet) - does anyone have an opinion on the Rev 1 ? also, are there Rev 1 specific handles, or do the 1.5 size ones work as well ?

Cheers - Tony

Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:18 pm

Tony,

I would recomend the 1.5 SLE as being the best allrounder, however a lot of comp flyers put EXP spars in their SLE's because the extra bendyness makes it more forgiving. If you go for the SLE, you've then got the Icarex sail and SLE spars and can swap the spars round with the EXP to give a range of wind conditions.

The Rev 1 is BIG, it's a bit harder to fly IMHO, well, it's harder to fly well, and pulls hard in gusts. The 1.5 handles are the same as the 1 handles as far as I know. The 1 will be easier to fly on the extended handles though as the extra length gives more control.

Hope this helps,
Jason.

Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:25 pm

Sorry, forgot I wasn't logged in.

Jason
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:26 pm

goddammit!
Jason.

Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:37 pm

Thanks for the advice.

The reason I am considering the Rev 1 is that I find the EXP very "twitchy", and easy to over control - am I right in thinking that the bigger kite would be more stable and give more control ?

Tony

Jason
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:43 pm

It could be down to line length, try setting it up with the brake lines about 1 inch shorter than the top lines, makes the 1.5 a lot more stable.
Jason.

Chris Goff

Sun Jul 04, 2004 5:53 pm

i fly a custom rev sail made by sum one other than revoloution themselves, and it flys so much better than the exp. and that just the sail difference. if u are new to reving then i recomend buying a rev1 and changing the spars to old skyshark, does the trick!

Tony S

Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:36 pm

Thanks again for the advice so far. So it looks like the 1.5 would be the better bet (I might try to fly a Rev1 before making a final decision though).
Question 2 : If I get a 1.5 SUL, can I put a standard frame in the SUL sail and fly it in "standard" wind, or is the SUL sail a bit too light weight to use in normal wind ? From what I have found the leading edge material is different - is that it ?

Cheers, Tony.

Jason
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:27 pm

The LE on the SUL is made from ripstop instead of dacron. The bridle is sometime lighter too, but they're the only differences. I have seen SUL's with dyneema bridles and some with sleved bridle line bridles. I can make you a 1.5 bridle no problems (I have a jig) if you can live with the lightweight LE. Get in touch with Faith (spinning out of control) as her rev is the SUL that she flys with STD spars in higher winds. I made her a slightly heavier bridle but don't know how the LE is holding up.
Jason.

SpOoC
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:02 pm

I have an exp leading edge for higher winds (I didn't really like the feel of the SLE, well not the one time I tired it...) and the UL down spars. Mind you, I havn't flown it so much since I got the Nirvana, but haven't had any problems so far. I guess the sail would stretch, but then I think they do a bit anyway.

I would like to try a Rev 1 as someone somewhere told me that they fly in lower winds than the 1.5...I think :oops:

Anyway, the Jason custom bridle works really well :D
Refusing to use the spellchick!

Gary Matthews
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:06 pm

Tony, if fancy having a go at different combos ,then come to Dunstable Downs kite fest 25th July you can try out Rev 1 ,SLE, UL,etc, different line strength,different handles the whole caboodle (depending on weather of course) your not to far...

Gary the rev
sponsored by revcentre.co.uk
stack uk.
Fresh Air.

Tony S

Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:02 am

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the offer - I am not about for Dunstable festival (hols in France), but would definitely appreciate a try out on the different kites. Don't suppose you are at Brighton this weekend ?

Question for le petit - what flavour "old skyshark" were you referring to ? I guess you mean the wrapped stuff (not Pxxx), but how stiff ?

Cheers - Tony

Gary Matthews
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:59 pm

Hi Tony, yes i am at Brighton this week, as is "LE PETIT" are'nt you Chris,would be happy to show and let you fly,the whole "caboodle"
If you fancy emailling moi i'll give you a run down of who your looking for etc.

Gary the Rev

Tony S

Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:13 am

Thanks Gary - PM sent.
See you at Brighton !