Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Davey, SpOoC

Mikey
Topic Author

a Rev problem

Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:58 pm

hi, i have statred learning how to fly by brand new (second hand) perfect condition rev EXP and am having some serious problems keeping it where the wind blows (off the ground :P) i can do solo launching, but it just keeps going up, swirling about and crashing - this is mainly due to my experience and lack of controll of the kite

i have recieved some very usefull tips on flying them (which i still need to put to practice-this weekend hopfully) but i believe the best way to learn is from another rev flyer

i have also been advised by a amazing preson to tell you my flting experience so far:

- i have been flying 2 line kites for ages but only recently learned about tricks like stalling (i know, LAME!!!!) - have been doing loops for years :P

- i have sucessfully performed a 360 face grind with a brand-new flexifoil rage

- and my most recent try is the 4 hrs of rev crashing experience :(:P:)

so this is basically a call to any one who
- can fly a rev
- is willing to try to teach me how to fly one too :):):)
- and most importantly flyes at epsom downs!

the last part is fairly important cos its the only place i know where i can fly kites thats close(ish) and not get attacked by chavs :P

ok i think thats all :S
thank you in advance for any replies and i hope i have given enough info

thanks

Mike :)

Gary Matthews
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:16 pm

First thing you have to check is, make sure all 4 lines are the same length....if they are then all you need to do is practice, practice, practice and a bit more practice, yes, you can get some coaching from other's but it really doesn't get much more basic then that really........sorry.

But glad to see you have made the leap into the darkside of kiting.

Stone in Shoe Bob
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:19 pm

Hi Mikey
Welcome to FA and welcome to the Dark Side :starwars:

If you’re flying an EXP I would advise waiting until the wind dies down a bit. I’ve been flying a vented SLE this afternoon and that’s been pulling me about a bit. Your EXP has a lighter frame and no venting if you are not careful in this wind, you will looking at replacing spars. Take Gary’s advice and check your lines.

And don’t forget to smile it’s supposed to be fun. :-D
Stone in Shoe Bob
Friend and supporter of Kiteworld
Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are.

Play365
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:50 pm

You could allways get in the car and come over to Dunstable Downs there are quite a few Rev flyers there and I'm sure someone will give you a few tips :D

Mikey
Topic Author

Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:55 pm

ok thanks for the info - lucky i was warned bout the wind - almost tried but i forgot my rev

hehe - darkside oooooo

lines are definatly are same length - checked them just now

kk well thank you all for the info

dunstable downs will now be a possability i will have to look on the map - might b able to get there on this wknd :)

thanks again :D :D :D :D

Stone in Shoe Bob
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:17 pm

Mikey wrote:
dunstable downs will now be a possability i will have to look on the map - might b able to get there on this wknd :)

From You M25, M1 J10, follow your nose though Dunstable and just as you reach the outskirts of Dunstable it’s a turning on the left signposted “The Downs” if you go as far as the gliding club you’ve gone too far.
Stone in Shoe Bob

Friend and supporter of Kiteworld

Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are.

Play365
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:35 am

Going to be windy this weekend so maybe next week ?

:D

big bri
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:03 pm

Hello Mikey,a friend had a similar problem with his new EXP.Ted,who is a great fella in his SHSSHSHSseventys :-D .
The problem he had was.the top knot where you connect your line with a larkshead[same on both sides],just behind it where both pieces of the bridle meat,they should be secured together with a knot[larkshead on mine]on Teds one of the sides had no knot and had slipped past it anchor point.This caused the kite to be very unpredictable and hard to control.The bridle parts slid around on the untied side so caused an uneven feel and flight.Once we sused it,it took a while to see the problem,it was HAPPY TED TIME.I hope thats as clear as mud and i hope it solves your problem.
Best of luck
BRIAN...

Mikey
Topic Author

Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:30 pm

ok than ks dude have checked it but it seems to be fine - thanks any way :)

still waiting on a good day to fly that im not busy - not many around :(

meh - hoping to fly during the week somtime

cross fingers and hope :)
Mike

and the lord said, LET THERE BE WIND.....
Kite bag:

-Revolution EXP
-Flexifoil Rage 4.7 - wasnt big enopugh... upgraded to...
-Flexifoil Blade 4.9 :)
-Dot Matrix
-Prism 3D... for when its raining outside...
-Flexifoil Stacker 6 X2 - MORE power :)
-Buggy.. FUN :)