Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Davey, SpOoC

mikesp

Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:22 am

It’s really nice to be appreciated at times when trying to organise an event where everyone can come along and enjoy a days flying.

Incidentally I thought it might interest you to know that I’ve been in a meeting all evening which only finished at 11.00, trying to save this ruddy event from another group who’ve tried to up the anti so to speak, so some appreciation wouldn’t go amiss, after all it’s cost me an awful lot of time and doe to keep this event alive for us all to enjoy.

Mike

John
Topic Author

Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:03 am

As the person who started the thread out of good intentions to publicise a local event, I declare it closed. Thanks for all the positive comments,and guidance where toes were trodden on (ouch) etc, now get out and fly and have some fun.

I look forward to you seeing everyone soon. :-p
John

Kitelife

Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:38 pm

iAnW wrote:
As far as the name is concerned, the name was originally for the event which has more to it than just a Mega Team. And if what you say is true you'd better tell John Barresi, David Hathaway and co because they call thier massive team quad gatherings iQuad!

There seems to be a misinterpretation of what iQuad is...

To set the record straight, we don't call these gatherings by that name... OUR TEAM (8 members) is called iQuad, and when we gather in larger numbers, it's iQuad and a bunch of other fliers.

If we flew with the Flying Squad, we'd be the Flying Squad and iQuad... No more, no less. We're simply the first team I've heard of who actively promotes mega flies at every event we go to, because it's fun for everyone.

woody65 wrote:
Just because Baressi etc call there gatherings iQuad doesn`t mean you have to copy everything they do.

See above.

woody65 wrote:
iQuad was inspired by the flying squad in the first place.

This is only partially true... We were inspired by the HUGE gathering of teams at Berck last year, including Flying Squad, Flic, Crazy Drivers and others... Who by the way, DID NOT fly under a group name... They maintained their individual identities as teams, which I am a strong supporter of.

I had a group contact me from the USA east coast last year, wanting to form another iQuad team... I told them the same thing, we're stronger as separate identities, and keeping those intact when we fly together.

And while I'm not inclined to argue the point... WiiQuad is awfully close to iQuad, and I think it'd be much like forming a team or event called WiFlying Squad... Call it Rev Party, or whatever... My team and I generally refer to our larger gatherings as a Quadapalooza, since it's just a bunch of fliers together.

Frankly, I don't have any objection to WeQuad, since there's no alignment at all with the branding our team has established, or the new signature series Rev which also features our logo, released by Revolution Kites this past week at the KTAI show.

See - http://www.kitelife.com/archives/ktai07 ... G_4591.jpg

IMHO, the movement to have a massive Rev team is AWESOME... Just do it in such a way that it doesn't overshadow all the teams who might participate, set it up to promote everyone, and to have a lot of fun.
John Barresi
Editor/Publisher
Kitelife Magazine

iAnW

Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:19 am

There seems to be a misinterpretation of what iQuad is...

To set the record straight, we don't call these gatherings by that name... OUR TEAM (8 members) is called iQuad, and when we gather in larger numbers, it's iQuad and a bunch of other fliers.

If we flew with the Flying Squad, we'd be the Flying Squad and iQuad... No more, no less. We're simply the first team I've heard of who actively promotes mega flies at every event we go to, because it's fun for everyone.

Thanks for your input John but I think everyone has misinterpreted what we are, firstly this is a name given to a section of the overall event and is defiantly not a team,
There will not be anyone joining in with this event who is already a member of an existing team, in other words
just run of the mill unknown average Joe rev fliers.
Secondly this is just a one off event held at this location and has zero chance of going on tour.
If you had knowledge of the local accent to the Midlands then you would see that WiiQUAD would be short for “Wii am Quad flyers” spoken in the Blackcountry accent, then you would realise there can be no mistaking the two.
I hope this clarifies any misunderstanding, good luck with your Mega Flies which you have already stated you don’t call iQuad anyway
Finally I hope you don't expect me to change my user name too because that has a lower cased "i" at the start, after all I did register that user name on 1st April 2004..... :lol:
Last edited by iAnW on Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blue Skies......Clean Wind. :)

Ian Wilson
Midlands Kite Fliers
Heart of England Kite Fliers
WiiQUAD
Wii for the group rather than i for the individual

Kitelife

Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:55 am

Aha Ian, I'd lost sight of the fact this is a one-off event... Duly clarified.

And, I don't honestly expect you to change the name, I was just sharing a lingering sentiment... A bit of honesty about my feelings, although I've clearly stated we're not debating your right to use the name WiiQuad, and still wish you every success with the mega fly.

Yes, duality may be a somewhat rare commodity... But it does exist. ;)
John Barresi

Editor/Publisher

Kitelife Magazine

iAnW

Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:54 am

Hi John,

I had a phone call from MikeSP about 10 minutes after I posted, apparently its too late do anything now anyway.
All of the advertising etc had already gone off to the printers, so we're stuck with that name whether we like it or not.
With just 6 weeks left until the show and the owners of the venue wanting to get their own advertising done,
he went ahead and got all the logos etc done two days ago, he needed to get it done by then because he was going away for a few days in the Isle of Man which is where he rang me from. :)

Ian Wilson

Midlands Kite Fliers

WiiQUAD

Kitelife

Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:48 pm

It really is cool Ian, I was more venting than anything... ;)

We're flying for the same cause anyway, as I see it.

Thanks.
John Barresi

Editor/Publisher

Kitelife Magazine

iAnW

Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:54 pm

Thanks John,

Cheers for the thought. :D
I'll drop you a line when I'm next in the States and we'll see if you're anywhere near to where I am? Usually NC, VA or NJ ;)
Such a big country the US but if you're anything like my cousins they think nothing of driving 7-8 hours straight through....although your Interstates are a lot better than our Motorways :lol:

Ian Wilson

Midlands Kite Fliers

WiiQUAD

JimC

Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:16 pm

Well, I've finally got around to joining 'FA' - so "Hi" to those who know me - and "Hi" to those who don't :D

Just to clarify things:
ALL fliers are welcome to join us at Hatton; no matter to what country, class, creed, political persuasion, religion or kite team/club/group they may belong - nuff said. 8-)

Mike's put a lot of work into this event and we're looking forward to yet another splendid day....

I'm bringing the PA, so I'll be the one to hurl abuse at on the day - not that I'm likely to take too much notice, hide like a rhino me :)

I know it's been mentioned elsewhere, but just in case you've missed it:
Anyone bringing music to fly to - audio CDs are preferred (CDR's are fine) but the player won't read MP3 discs (are you listening Bryan :-D ).
I can also accommodate MP3 players with a standard 3.5mm "stereo out".

Oh, "Emperor Rosko" I ain't (hands up those old enough to remember him) hence I'll be on the lookout for volunteers to wax lyrical about kites the universe and everything on the mike - will candidates please form an orderly queue at the PA tent :cool:

Now I just need to remember the petrol for the generator.......

Lookin' forward to seein' ya there!
Last edited by JimC on Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
JimC

mikesp

Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:12 pm

Hi Jim :sniper:

Welcome to the Dark Side :starwars:

Mike 8-)

bryan beasley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:02 pm

I hear ya, I'll bring the originals - honest.

Bryan

Gary Matthews
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:15 pm

Is this the longest thread in The Quad line section.....Ever! 5 pages worth.

Stone in Shoe Bob
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:21 pm

Gary Matthews wrote:
Is this the longest thread in The Quad line section.....Ever! 5 pages worth.

Yes
Stone in Shoe Bob
Friend and supporter of Kiteworld
Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are.

JimC

Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:18 pm

I hear ya, I'll bring the originals - honest.

Hi Bryan,
Like I said, CDRs aren't a problem if you'd rather not bring originals......
(it's just MP3s on CD that the decks can't read)

and:
"Hi Mike" :)

Well, that's the thread a little longer :shock:
JimC

mikesp

Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:43 pm

Hi Jim :cool: