Moderators: Craig, Davey, SpOoC

sftonkin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Rev extended handles; Rev video

Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:49 pm

Hi folks,

I've just acquired a second hand 1.5 SLE. Just about everyone seems to think that the extended handles are highly desirable. They seem to cost about £35, which seems a bit steep for what they are. Is there an alternative? Or, are there idiot- and ham-fist-proof plans for them available?

Also, I keep seeing mention of "the Rev video" -- from where may this be obtained? (Or, is there one I might borrow?)

Jason
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:08 pm

They're £27 from the highwaymen here http://www.highwaymenkites.co.uk/handles,_straps.htm Do check though that the ones you already have are not the extended ones. The "Extended" became the "Standard" quite recently.
I will look under my bed for a video for you, see if I've got any left.
Jason.

Morticiaskeeper

Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:12 pm

Take the lower endcap off the standard handle and shove a bit of Skyshark P series spar untill it won't go any further, then cut to size.
Handler of Morticia

Airheads demo team '09

sftonkin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:39 pm

Thanks, both.

@Jason: Yup, they are the shorter ones. I've seen the extended and they are significantly longer.

Stone in Shoe Bob
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:48 pm

Morticiaskeeper wrote:
Take the lower endcap off the standard handle and shove a bit of Skyshark P series spar untill it won't go any further, then cut to size.

If you’re going to do that I would suggest you glue them securely and it also might be a good idea to cover the join with heat shrink to tidy-up the join.

BTW the video is now a DVD, there is also a Low Wind Flying Techniques one they supply with the SUL, PM an address and I will put them in the post.

Welcome to the dark side :starwars:
Stone in Shoe Bob
Friend and supporter of Kiteworld
Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are.

Play365
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:38 pm

Or just make your own ....... over to you Bob :D

sftonkin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:50 pm

Some questions:

If I do it with P200 (the only Pxxx I have to hand):
(a) Should I stuff it with 6mm for extra strength?
(b) Is there a tried & tested way of attaching the line to the P200? (Presumably drilling it and fitting a metal triangle as per the original is not a good idea)

cut to size.

Small (-ish) point: What is "size" in this instance? (I don't have another example to compare to.) 13" seems to ring a bell -- would that be tip to tip of handle?

Stone in Shoe Bob
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:54 pm

Play365 wrote:
Or just make your own ....... over to you Bob :D

Why me, you're the one who told me how to do it, I just figured out a better way to attach the pigtails.
Stone in Shoe Bob

Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are.

Stone in Shoe Bob
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:11 pm

But since gary asked try-

Making handles here.

And

Attach the pigtails [url=http://fracturedaxel.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=47159#47159]here
[/url]
Stone in Shoe Bob

sftonkin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:37 am

Thanks! Probably best if I try to make new from scratch -- I have no faith in my ability to rawlplug P200 without splitting it. :)

Took the endcaps off the short handles last night. What lovely workmanship lay beneath -- if you ever need a quick source of vicious swarf....

BF

Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:23 pm

sftonkin wrote:
Took the endcaps off the short handles last night. What lovely workmanship lay beneath -- if you ever need a quick source of vicious swarf....

Yep, know what you mean. I've just re-strung my rev handles except this time I took the end caps off and deburred the holes properly.

sftonkin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:26 pm

Tube obtained. Still one outstanding Q from above, if someone can help:

cut to size.

What is "size" in this instance? (I don't have another example to compare to.) 13" seems to ring a bell -- would that be tip to tip of handle?

Play365
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:18 pm

13 in is the extended Rev handle that most of us use but Rev now do a 15 in handle which is ok for light winds but a pig in a good wind :-D

sftonkin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:19 pm

13 in is the extended Rev handle that most of us use

Thanks, Gary. One last (I hope) question. How is the 13" measured? Is it the overall length of the rod before it is bent, or is it the straight line distance between the attachment points?

Play365
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:26 pm

Ah I will have to look.... Right Rev Ex Handles are 14 in long 13 in between the pigtails/lines :D :D hope this helps :D :D