Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Davey, SpOoC

Jason
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Hard to do...

Sat Mar 27, 2004 10:03 am

Here's something to try with a Rev... It seems quite hard for some people and easy for others but should help with control somehow.

Hold the kite in the centre of the window with the LE facing right and try and hold as still as possible. At this point your hands should be holding the handles in the vertical position but most people started doing this the first few times with the handles following the kite. So for this exercise hold the handles with the left above the right (or vice versa if the LE is facing left) in a horizontal plane. Then try and hold the kite as still as possible again.

Now the hard part. While keeping the same amount of brake on each line and the same distance between left and right (the upper wing will be nearer you to maintain the hover) rotate both arms 180 degrees anti clockwise and try and maintain the hover. Now the tops of the handles are pointing left towards the bottom of the kite, your brain will hurt and if you're still in control you're doing well.

Jason.

aphelps
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:50 pm

What on earth were you smoking when you dreamed up this one?
I must try it though, it sounds like a total mind-f##k!
:D
Andy

Dorsal

Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:12 am

Jason, you should try dog-stake flying, to put your mind in high gear.
Screw one of those doggy stakes into the ground, 40 or 50 feet UPWIND. The stakes with the large triangle handle work great for this.
Now, run your 80 or 100 foot quad lines UPWIND, thru the handle of the stake, then DOWNWIND back to where you were standing. Then connect the lines to your Rev.
Begin flying, and try not to hit yourself with the kite.

SpOoC
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:00 am

Team Flic did a lot of that at Portsmouth last year, it was pretty amazing to watch.

However, as I still haven't quite figured out how to fly the thing in the usual way, I think I might give these things a miss for a while :D
Refusing to use the spellchick!

Dorsal

Fri Apr 02, 2004 4:36 am

I've never dog-staked a kite yet, but when I do, I think I'll try putting the left handle in my right hand, and vice-versa. Standing behind the kite, I think the hand-eye co-ordination would be unchanged from normal flight.
Maybe. :-k

Jason
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:33 pm

Anyone need a full set of spars yet?

I haven't tried the dog stake thing with a rev before, did it once with a 2 liner and that was bad enough...
Jason.

mobius
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:00 pm

I had a go on Flic's dogstake... was good fun, though they said i cheated by swapping the handles over.
Dave Morley