Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Davey, SpOoC

coyote
Topic Author

Rev 1 Newbie!!!

Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:57 am

Hello,

Im new to this forum and have been flying power kites for a number of years now. I have just picked up a Rev 1 :cool: and am looking forward to using it soon. The kite is complete including the DVD and instructions which I am going through at the moment. Can somebody please give me a indication of the wind speed that I should attempt to learn to fly this kite in, also any pointers to help me from trashing it on the maiden flight would be welcomed.

Cheers
Steve
Last edited by coyote on Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bugly

Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:42 am

I found that learning to fly the Rev easiest in moderate winds, say 12 to 15 mph. If you have prior experience with quads then you may go lower than that.

good luck

Gary Matthews
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:43 am

Hi Steve welcome to FA, try to keep the kite high in sky, you'll have more time to react if things go wrong, make sure the lines are the same length.
Keep doing the infinity move (number 8 on it's side) to learn the control, apart from that it behave's similar to your power kite, but without the "pull".
If it's Rev one, then you can go as low as say 5 mph to 15 mph.

coyote
Topic Author

Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:45 pm

Thanks for the replies, it is a Rev one and the wind is 6-15mph today so im off out for a quick fly, ill let you know how I get on.

Keep the kite high - I'll try... As a keen buggier I need to try to be a bit more gentle with this kite than I am with the usual race kites I fly. If it all goes wrong ill be on the lookout for spars tomorrow :P

nic

Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:44 pm

so Steve, how did it go?
In the bag:

Growing older is inevitable, growing up is a matter of choice, and I choose not to!

Revolution 1
Revolution 1.5 SLE
Rev B Series
peter hall 8ft
stack of 2 x peter hall 5 ft
tracer (yes I am that old!)
Gemini

coyote
Topic Author

Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:28 pm

The wind died out.... and........ I ended up on a golf course :(

Ive had a good look at the kite and it really is good as new so it looks like i have found a bargain - the idiot who i got the rev off hadnt even opened the instruction manual so it looks like he set it up and got confused :? (plonker!!!)

Heres hoping for more wind tomorrow

Play365
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:56 am

Come over to Dunstable Kite Fest this Sunday there will be plenty people to ans any qustions you may have :D

coyote
Topic Author

Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:55 pm

Play365 wrote:
Come over to Dunstable Kite Fest this Sunday there will be plenty people to ans any qustions you may have :D

Cool - Is it at Dunstable Kites? or where?

Steve

Stone in Shoe Bob
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:13 pm

No - Dunstable Downs.
It’s just west of Dunstable on the B4541. the Downs are sign posted from the centre of Dunstable, but If you know Dunstable Kites (at Edlesborough) take B489 towards Dunstable past the gliding club and turn right at the second roundabout you hit in Dunstable (by the petrol station and big Chinese restaurant) up the steep hill to the Downs

Alternativley
From the A505. Turn right (then within 10 yards) left for Tottnehoe at the second speed camera after Leighton Buzzard. Through Tottnehoe then left at the first roundabout then right at the second and up the steep hill to the Downs.

Have a safe Journey.
Stone in Shoe Bob
Friend and supporter of Kiteworld
Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are.

coyote
Topic Author

Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:31 pm

Thanks for the details and map, i'll see you there. Ill be the idiot bouncing a rev along the ground :P

Ogre

Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:06 am

Ill be the idiot bouncing a rev along the ground

That'll be 2 of us then :cool:
"With tuppence for paper and strings..."

coyote
Topic Author

Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:23 pm

Time for an update

I took the rev out for a fly last night, I set it up as per the instructions and launched it - what followed was a bit uncontrollable so I checked the line lengths and sure anough they were not even. After adjusting the lines I launched again - much better :D Whilts the kite was high I was doing the infinity sign with no problems, next I tried a spin - bloody hell these things are fast!!! Im sure after a few more hours flying ill get to grips with it.

All in all a successful maiden flight - still in one piece :P

nic

Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:34 pm

Looks like we have another budding addict!

Keep smiling

Nic
In the bag:

Growing older is inevitable, growing up is a matter of choice, and I choose not to!

Revolution 1

Revolution 1.5 SLE

Rev B Series

peter hall 8ft

stack of 2 x peter hall 5 ft

tracer (yes I am that old!)

Gemini