Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Davey, SpOoC

Browser
Topic Author

Can I expect learning to fly a Rev to drive me nuts?

Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:16 am

Took my Shockwave out for the first time yesterday :oops: Seemed more of an excercise in controlling the severity of it's crashes than flying it. I was trying not to blame the wind but my flying field is quite small and has lots of trees round it, and the wind wasn't steady so it can't have helped. I was also trying to fight my in-built two-line flyers urge to control left and right spins by pulling/pushing the control handles. I can see once I get used to it it will be great, but did all of you Rev flyers go through this?
Jeez, this wind's a bit gusteeeeeeeeeee!

Ogre

Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:19 am

Am still going through it......
"With tuppence for paper and strings..."

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/Ogre1/?

Browser
Topic Author

Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:33 am

Forgot to say, am I urinating into the breeze learning to fly on 25m lines?

flyer

Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:37 am

I sold my first Rev, because every time I flew it it gave me a headace.

But 3 weeks later I got another,(i will controll it this time).
No Plugs on my postings.

Bugly

Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:07 am

I found it easiest to pick up on the basics flying a Rev1 rather then its smaller and faster brethren. The other thing that helped was to learn in 12 to 15 mph winds. 25m lines should be fine.

I have had a complete newb fly my rev 1 (basic control, up down left right turns etc) after about an hour in good steady 20mph winds. Mind you, he did complain about sore shoulders the following day.

Wockey

Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:35 pm

Got my Rev 1 after flying "power" for 6/7 years. Soon as you grasp the "handcuff" method of flying and moving it about (similar to steering a car I think......not yet flew with anybody experienced)
Only had mine for a month or so but found it sooooooo easy to fly and had a great session on saturday on the beach in an off shore breeze dunking it in the water :-) Only slightly I may add!! Working my way through the "basics" on the Revolution web site at the moment...really helpful cos there isn't many around to watch and learn.

John

Wockey

Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:40 pm

Forgot...... I'm flying on 25mt mainly in a gusty situation. Like all kites,a clean wind is always best but we learn to live with gusty conditions,they can be fun :?

Browser
Topic Author

Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:52 pm

I need to learn to fly the bloody thing first, then maybe I'll be able to cope with gusts #-o :D
I must say a big thankyou to my ever patient father in law who di re-launch after re-launch for me. I did manage to do one nice, controlled landing =D> I do think there was an element of fluke involved though :satisfied:

Ogre

Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:56 pm

Here you go - now you can practice indoors on those "too" windy days.

http://www.godset.dk/rolf/javarev.htm
"With tuppence for paper and strings..."

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/Ogre1/?

nic

Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:57 pm

Browser - I think there's an inverse relationship between how easy it is to learn to fly a Rev and how skilled you are with a two line. Because I only ever flew precision (except for one fluke Axel), I found it quite easy.

I know of several very good 2 line fliers who found flying a Rev a real problem.

One think I did find - if you have the dvd that comes with the Rev, learn the basics from that, flying with smal hand actions before trying to learn the Robertshaw way which is on the Flying Techniques DvD. James R is a very kewl flyer, but his style is his own! When I try large arm movements such as his, I look like a very pissed octopus!
In the bag:

Growing older is inevitable, growing up is a matter of choice, and I choose not to!

Revolution 1
Revolution 1.5 SLE
Rev B Series
peter hall 8ft
stack of 2 x peter hall 5 ft
tracer (yes I am that old!)
Gemini

grantyg

Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:15 pm

I have flown revs on and off for years but now I`m sewrious about it since getting a 1.5 sle - one thing I did was to try it on 10 metre lines and I quickly noticed that I was reacting to my inputs and there fore creating pilot induced osscilation.
Think that is the correct term!

Play365
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:20 pm

try some bondage i:e a belt round your arms so you can only move your wrist's then try it will be a lot easyer :D

nic

Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:56 pm

Gary

I'm trying to get a mental pic of either Carl or James doing that - all I get is carnage! :lol:
In the bag:

Growing older is inevitable, growing up is a matter of choice, and I choose not to!

Revolution 1

Revolution 1.5 SLE

Rev B Series

peter hall 8ft

stack of 2 x peter hall 5 ft

tracer (yes I am that old!)

Gemini

Gary Matthews
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:05 pm

I can remember the time Gary had that belt on........(looked very camp!!!)

The only thing that worked for me was practise, practise, practise, there isn't really a short cut, people can show you but, but you will get frustrated at time's it's only natural, if you can't get something, then try something different then go back to it later....doing this at the moment with the Comete...done a couple now, getting annoyed, but i will do other stuff and then go back a quater of an hour later...soothe's the soul
somewhat doing it that way i find...i know it will come eventually.

Practise thats the key
i

Play365
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:25 am

Rubbish you were a twinkle in ya dads eye when I did the belt thing :D :D :D :D