Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Davey, SpOoC

SpOoC
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Figures...

Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:03 pm

As I have mentioned somewhere or another, I am interested in the precision end of flying at the moment.

I am not quite ready for figures but want to be steered in that general direction, so if anyone out there is a whizz on flying figures, where does one start? Is there a progressive way of learning them? Information, please :D
Refusing to use the spellchick!

RoyReed

Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:49 pm

It's a shame it's too late in the year for the Winter leagues. You can learn so much from them. Everyone helps. The very first competition I ever did was a league at Hackney. Chris Matheson (not around any more, but VERY BIG then) had organised it and was head judge and Carl Robertshaw (then having just won his first world championship with Airkraft) was acting as field director. They couldn't have been nicer and both gave me tips on flying.

You are ready to start figures, because that's what you're thinking of trying. Fly as much as you can with other flyers. Pick their brains. Watch what they do and if you can't work out how they're making the kite do something, ask them. They'll be only too happy to share.
Must fly
Roy
REEDDESIGN Web Design

Jason
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:14 am

Have you looked on the Revolution website? I won't put a link as I'm not sure if that's ok or not, but if you go to revkites dot com and click on the "Advanced Flying" tab at the bottom of the page, it's a good place to start. I noticed at Southampton that you already have the long handles which help a lot with control, have you tried adjusting the brake line length at all. I noticed the decorators have their kites set up with really short brake lines so that the kite barely flies forward, apparently this is to stop gusts in the wind making the kite move around, ie makes it a lot easier to hold the kite in one position.
Jason.
Jason.

Davey

Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:18 am

Have a peep at http://www.stackuk.org to have a look at the compulsory quad-line figures.
Davey
::
Nope, I hadn't fallen off the map. Although one would be excused for thinking so...

SpOoC
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Sat Mar 13, 2004 3:20 pm

Jason wrote:
I noticed at Southampton that you already have the long handles which help a lot with control...

You were at Southampton? Erm, where we formerly introduced? If so, I confess I don't remember :(

I have put on the bridle modifications suggested by Steve, but only got the 80p worth of dyneema from Tradewinds yesterday to do the handle end. This will make it easier for me to try out different combinations. I still haven't got the sticks though, which means as today is one of those 'rare' higher wind days I can't take the Rev out for a spin!

I have taken a look at the Rev website but I confess it confused me a bit, not the ideas, but the how to achieve certain things. Anyway, I have been working on the hover as the first step to 'taming' the kite and as I said it has helped to I thought I would look at the figures as a goal post for what to achieve next.

Dave, I am going to follow your link :-D

As always, all comments/hints are appreciated so thank you.

SpOoC
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Sat Mar 13, 2004 3:22 pm

Ewwwww, looked at figure one, circle from ground line, looks like I have work to do!

Jason
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:37 am

Sorry, my fault. I'm not very good at just going up to people and introducing myself, terminal shyness I'm afraid, :oops: (or maybe it's a self-worth thing) I'm ok once I start talking to people and did come over while Steve was flying your Rev but felt a bit invisible, especially when Steve refered to me as "that other bloke" when I was stood right next to him. I was flying the blue/green/white Rev on shortish lines and a grey Benson Matchbox. I did have a good chat with Martin and Andy and Craig before I went but felt a bit silly coming over to introduce myself and say goodbye at the same time. Note to self; sign up for assertiveness course.
:tank:

I've PM'd you about your bridle.

Cheers,
Jason.

SpOoC
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:38 am

Ok, I got it, sort of :D

I must admit I was really trying to get to grips with what Steve was saying at that point so my concentration was pretty taken up. I do remember seeing you flying the Rev out the corner of my eye, but don't remember seeing you flying a dual line, but then I was running around after CJ as well.

Don't worry about feeling silly, I feel silly most of the time, you get used to it after a while :D

I've PM'd you back about the bridle and thanks.

Andy S
King of FA

Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:38 am

Faith - you'll remember the Benson hat if nothing else ;)

Jason - I'm much the same in real life, I only get arrogant and pushy online ;)

SpOoC
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:51 pm

Thanks again Jason for your help, I should have taken notes while you fitted the bridle though :D

Martin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Mar 14, 2004 5:06 pm

Well i am just as arrogant and pushy in real life too, (i also hate newbies)

www.fracturedaxel.co.uk

Jason
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:20 pm

No problem Faith, you can make notes next time when this one falls to bits, er, I mean... Only joking. I've only ever had to replace a Rev one, none of mine have ever broken to my knowledge. Fingers crossed.
Jason.

aphelps
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:08 pm

Faith, we'll be running through things like this next weekend. I am not sure if we will get onto figures, although it would be nice. We'll certainly aim to boost your basic control skills etc. I am sure that Steve will run you through a couple of the precision moves.
:D
Andy

SpOoC
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:08 pm

Well, I got shown how to do some of them anyway :D

I gotta get more practice...

...am I a better flyer after today? No, but I will be :D