Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Davey, SpOoC

David Ellison
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

rev handle wire loops

Fri May 12, 2006 1:17 pm

I'm trying to make some of the triangular stainless steel loops that are on top and bottom of rev handles for securing the lines to.
Been using 3/32 inch stainless bar which seems to be what the original handles use. But using pliers and a vice I can't bend the bar well enough to get anything close to a triangle.

Anyone out there with expertise in bending steel?

Andy S
King of FA

Fri May 12, 2006 1:20 pm

David Ellison
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Fri May 12, 2006 1:25 pm

yup, and I've also tried turning it off and then turning it back on again :P

misterbleepy
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri May 12, 2006 1:37 pm

would a split ring (key ring) work?
Keith B
--
Kite Tricks mind map

bleep bleep bleep

misterbleepy
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri May 12, 2006 1:41 pm

there are some interesting bits and pieces here:

http://www.berkeleypoint.com/products/h ... index.html

maybe 'bow shackles' would do the job (put the pin through the holes at the top/bottom of the handle)?

http://www.berkeleypoint.com/products/h ... ackle.html
Keith B

--

Kite Tricks mind map

bleep bleep bleep

Andy S
King of FA

Fri May 12, 2006 1:43 pm

I've seen this sort of thing in the local fabric shop (Fabric Land). You know the kind of place with a million rolls of ugly material, knitting needles, buttons and velcro etc? They were dirt cheap.

Ian Newham
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri May 12, 2006 2:00 pm

I guess the rev ones could be temperred after theyre bent? SS is a pig to work with, can't you use some softer alternative? So long as the bits inside the handle bend forward softer wire would do.

Alternatively you could drill the front side of the handle, put in a metal gromet then pass a lenght of cord through the grommet and knot on the inside. I have some powerkite handles like that, no reason why you couldnt do it for a rev handle.

Play365
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri May 12, 2006 2:11 pm

May I ask why you want them as i and a lot of other Rev flyers take them off and just put line thro insted :D :D

Andy S
King of FA

Fri May 12, 2006 2:16 pm

Play365 wrote:
May I ask why you want them as i and a lot of other Rev flyers take them off and just put line thro insted :D :D

Then all the other Rev flyers can send the ones they've removed to David! Problem solved! No need to get Uri involved after all! :lol:

Play365
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri May 12, 2006 2:18 pm

Then all the other Rev flyers can send the ones they've removed to David! Problem solved! No need to get Uri involved after all!

You can have mine no probs :D :D :D :D

David Ellison
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Fri May 12, 2006 2:18 pm

thanks for replies
I've previously tried split pins, shackles, split rings etc but not found anything that works successfully.
I guess Rev came up with the s/steel triangular d-ring for a reason, after trying many alternatives.

@Ian - is the purpose of a gromet to line the holes in the s/steel tube of the handle so that it does not fray and cut the cord? This has been the biggest problem with home-made handles. Do you know where to find something that could do this - what it might be called?

Play365
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri May 12, 2006 2:23 pm

Kevlar line mine have not frayed

David Ellison
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Fri May 12, 2006 2:49 pm

Well could be just my bad luck but the kevlar core "Vectran" cord that I've been using wore thru' and snapped last time I was out flying.

I've PM'd you Gary -

Stone in Shoe Bob
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sat May 13, 2006 5:47 pm

I showed you what I did when we met at Luton.

Plastic Rawlplug in each end of the tube. Then a round head screw into the Rawlplugs. Make sure you use screws not threaded right to the head. Leave 2 or 3mm of clearance between Rawlplug and screwhead. Feed the cords through the end caps, tie the cord to the raised screws. Tighten the screws if necesssary and replace the end caps. Job done.

What's the problem, I did mine last Autumn and have been using them all winter, the lip at the top of the Rawlplugs protects the cord from any sharp edges on the ends of the tube and once you tighten the screws any movement is negligible and without movement there is no wear.
Stone in Shoe Bob
Friend and supporter of Kiteworld
Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are.

Ian Newham
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sat May 13, 2006 6:18 pm

David Ellison wrote:
@Ian - is the purpose of a gromet to line the holes in the s/steel tube of the handle so that it does not fray and cut the cord? This has been the biggest problem with home-made handles. Do you know where to find something that could do this - what it might be called?

Yes its to stop fraying. My handles were bought like that, the grommet/eyelets I had were part of a press stud type connector for earthing mats - I'll see if I can find them but I don't hold out much hope. Otherwise see if any craft / sewing type shops have any eyelets for leather or similar.

Sorry that was late I thought I'd already replied :?