Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Davey, SpOoC

nic
Topic Author

Confused about Rev flying

Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:25 pm

Just bought a Rev 1 and I'm confused!

On the video that comes with it, the instructor uses small thumb movements when flying the kite. he also uses standard Rev handles.

On the 'Flying Techniques' DVD, James Robertshaw uses a lot of hand movement. he recommends straightening the handles which presumably gives more leverage and makes it easier to keep all 4 lines under tension.

Is this just a matter of personal preference?

Also, any tips on how to undo 10 years of 2 line flying habits so as to fly teh Rev properly?

Thanks

Nic
In the bag:

Growing older is inevitable, growing up is a matter of choice, and I choose not to!

Revolution 1
Revolution 1.5 SLE
Rev B Series
peter hall 8ft
stack of 2 x peter hall 5 ft
tracer (yes I am that old!)
Gemini

misterbleepy
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:43 pm

Why not sign up for one of the "Better Flying Days" - I believe someone is offering multi-line tuition at the Newbury event:

http://fracturedaxel.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2777
Keith B
--
Kite Tricks mind map

bleep bleep bleep

mobius
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:54 pm

Nic.. start with small and then get bigger later! The large movements are to make the kite turn as crisp and precisely as possible... in the early stages this is just going to make things harder for you.
Dave Morley

Nils

Re: Confused about Rev flying

Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:09 pm

nic wrote:
any tips on how to undo 10 years of 2 line flying habits

keep your wrists togheter for the time being

Gary Matthews
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:56 pm

Sorry Dave i have to disagree there :P , the transition from small to large handles is a unnessasary evil , due to re-learning, and getting the wrist stronger, especially on a Rev 1. I would opt every time to go for the larger handles, why learn twice?
IMHO Nic, i would buy a pair of larger handles again with the 1, you may find it a bit difficult to start with, but after a couple of hours flying your get use to it. Also fly with a fair amount of break, this makes the kite a lot more responsive.
I know James and a host of good fliers fly like this as well :cool: .

Just hope you have loads of time on your hands too!! welcome to the "Dark Side" :evil:

Jest_of_EVE
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Location: The exact opposite side of the planet to New Zealand - Bummer!

Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:52 pm

No 'Dark Side' at all.

Rev fliers will continue to amaze me for a long time to come; having tried one and owning an Airbow for a while, it's a different discipline that deserves as much respect as 'master-level' two line flying.

Mark 'on the fence' EVE! (I'm a Libra) :lol:

BF

Re: Confused about Rev flying

Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:24 pm

Slightly off topic, but how about this for a Rev...

Apparently it's going to be in (or was in?) the 2005 AKA Great Kite Auction.

nic wrote:
Is this just a matter of personal preference?

Yup.

nic wrote:
Also, any tips on how to undo 10 years of 2 line flying habits so as to fly teh Rev properly?

Practise, and then you'll end up combining some of the elements of two line flying with that of quad flying anyway.

At Brighton I was chatting to Steve Brill and Andy Wardley about how I was getting into stopping a Rev in mid-flight and at the exact moment I stopped the kite throwing it into a 90 degree turn. "Just like a two line kite" they commented. It wasn't until later as I mulled this over in my mind that I realised that it's easier to stop a two line kite in mid-flight by throwing in a snap turn to stop it. On a Rev the converse is true, it's easy to stop a Rev during any point in its travel without the need to throw in a turn.

I like flying the standard 1.5 Rev on standard spars in a fairly strong wind but with lots of brake line on. Inverted flic flacs and upright flic flacs become a doddle (relatively speaking) but this is more during my times of 'throw it around the sky and take no prisoners' approach rather than the carefully crafted formation of a nineteen person mega-team fly.

My flying technique depends on how I feel at the time. If I have lots of energy to use up and the winds there I'll really go for it. Otherwise I can stand in one place and hardly move my feet doing gentle precise things - ahhh...

Brian