Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Davey, SpOoC

David Ellison
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Rev handle foam

Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:04 pm

I'm messing around with making my own extended length Rev handles and need to track down some of the high density foam that they use. Anyone know where it comes from?

Andy S
King of FA

Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:05 pm

Try handlebar foam from Halfords? Might be a bit loose, but it's designed to be tight on the bike bars.

David Ellison
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:10 pm

Been chasing up various bike handlebar products - not found a good substitute for the real thing yet.

Match

Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:17 pm

David,
The foam is the stuff they use to cover fishing rods, so you will get it from a fishing shop. Hole diam is 10 mm. Its exactly the same stuff Rev uses.

belblade

Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:26 pm

Match is spot on with this one............ GOD how i dont miss my fishing days
Kris

Gary Matthews
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:59 pm

Hi Guys, but how do you stick the foam to the handles then?? contact adhesive, or superglue or what???

belblade

Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:26 am

Gary with Fishng rods you can use epoxy glue must be the same on handles but try on a peice first
Kris

kitejan

Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:40 am

I'm thinking of making some extra handles, but not sure what tubing I need. So what tubing do I need?

Thansk for the info on the fishing rod handles - I never would have guessed that!

David Ellison
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:22 pm

I've been experimenting with various versions of homemade Rev handles. Trying to keep the weight down whilst extending the length ( :shock: ) has been an issue. Best version to date uses 8mm diameter, 1mm wall thickness, stainless steel tubing. This is a bit thinner than the Rev tube but seems to work fine. You can get it online from "metalsontheweb".
Have now bought some Hypalon high density foam handles from a DIY fishing rod company. The external diameter is the same as the standard Rev foam but the internal diameter is 12mm. Packed out the difference by winding masking tape onto the steel tubing and then securing with Araldite glue. Apparently this is the way that they are glued onto fishing rod blanks.
End result is a handle that's pretty much the same weight as the Rev handles but has the extra 2-3 inches length that I wanted to fly with. Best give them a workout now before Eurocup!!

Bru

Handles instruction

Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:31 pm

Dear Dave, I'm probably late, but have you seen my site? In
http://www.micro-design.it/microaquilot ... andles.htm
there are instructions to build handles. The foam is from a bicycle shop, and I glued it with liquid soap. The instructions are in italian but I think the pictures explain enought. Ciao.
Bruno.
Bru.
Kites in Italy and 4 lines info.
www.micro-design.it/microaquilotti

David Ellison
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:23 pm

Hi Bruno
thanks for the link - good photos

Good to fly with you last week and to share knowledge

best regards
ciao
David

Browser

Re: Handles instruction

Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:36 pm

Bru wrote:
Dear Dave, I'm probably late, but have you seen my site? In
http://www.micro-design.it/microaquilot ... andles.htm
there are instructions to build handles. The foam is from a bicycle shop, and I glued it with liquid soap. The instructions are in italian but I think the pictures explain enought. Ciao.
Bruno.

Thanks from me for the link Bruno. I've just asked elsewhere for exactly what you have detailed here, thank's for putting it into the public domain. Now all Ive got to do is ask me mate Enrico (now UK resident, originally from Milan) to translate it for me :-D
Jeez, this wind's a bit gusteeeeeeeeeee!