Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Davey, SpOoC

aphelps
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Rev 1.5 Bridle

Fri May 13, 2005 6:40 pm

There are a lot of tweaks for Rev 1.5 bridles. The kite can be made to flik-flak a lot easier than it does on the standard bridle. Would anybody care to share?
Andy

Gary Matthews
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun May 15, 2005 12:06 pm

Andy , you saw my flick-flacks at Rougham, no change has been made to the bridle, i find that if you place your hands a little further down the handles that seems to help, i think it gives you more leveridge for some reason..........oh yes, really got to practise, i'm getting about 6-7 out of 10 right, the other 3-4 seem to get a tip wrap on the lower vertical spar connection, maybe like you say if the bridle is tweaked then 9-10 will be the order of the day. If you want to do that that trick of Lams, then yes i think the bridle will have to be changed...done it once..but really difficult to get anywhere near it..............

Gary the Rev

blackout

Mon May 16, 2005 9:39 am

Andy,
when you talk to Guido Maiocchi, he will tell you why he uses a rev without a special bridle on the kite and also long handles:
the kite flys more direct and performs radical tricks is much easier.
As Gary said, flik-flak also works with standard rev-equipment. But for more radicl control you need longer handles. Add 7cm to the lower end of the handle and enjoy :dancing: .
All the other rev-bridles I have seen move the point of connection for flight lines to the outer side. In result the kite offers better control in spins and rotations. But all these new bridles make me feel the rev to be more indirect in control. Not the best choise for radical trick flying.

aphelps
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Mon May 16, 2005 8:47 pm

Thanks guys. I can Flik-flak a Rev 1.5 no problem. However, if you watch the likes of Steff Ferme and Guido Maiocchi they can flik-flak reliably, quickly, and with the kite at any angle. I once discussed it with Gregory Reynes (who is similarly able). He explained to me that the difference was in the bridle, but I never got the chance to find out more.
Steff Ferme's Rev bridle is radically different from a standard one (did anybody else spot it in Cap D'Agde?), and of course Guido does not use a bridle at all.... But then the kite has different dimensions also.
:D
Andy

Gary Matthews
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon May 16, 2005 9:12 pm

We will have to experiment then, would be an interesting pursuit, getting it right......i will dig out an old Rev and have a play.....results shortly, after MW1.
Gary the Rev

Sparhawk

Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:21 pm

Ok I have a Rev 1.5

Would someone please explain to me WTF a Flik Flak IS?

Or at least point me to a site / reading which will explain basic tricks with this damned kite :) :D

I love it - but the inverted hover slides are starting to get boring :-S (Cos I cant do it :( )

Gary Matthews
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:44 pm

Sparhawk, it's quite an advanced trick, if your only learning slides and hovering then, you may be a while off of this trick, there is no film of it, anymore, Guido Macchochi was the only version i have seen of it...don't think it's online anymore..(i may be wrong).
Flying Tecniques is on Dvd, that will give you a few more basic moves to try........the flick flac anywat is a trick that turns the front of the Rev to the back of the Rev, by pushing the brakes back and then pushing them forward...easier to show than to describe.
keep practising.......!!!!!

Gary the Rev

woody65

Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:05 pm

woody65

Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:50 am

Sparhawk

Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:58 am

Great!!!

Thanks for the replies!

Now any PC tech heads out there wanna explain to me how to get the Videos to work?

Ive downloaded the DIVX thingy but I get a QuickTime window in a web page - which appears to play - but no sound nor pics?

Sparhawk

Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:09 am

Edit:

Worked it out : Thanks again Guys - They look AMAZING!

More practice required methinks :-S

And Gary? I was joking about the Hover Slidy thing ;)

kitejan

Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:31 pm

Maybe not much use against the masters of Rev flying, but I've uploaded a short video to my website of some (not very snappy) Flic-Flacs which may (or may not) help.

large: http://www.kitejan.me.uk/video/rev_flicflacs.wmv 1.4Mb
small: http://www.kitejan.me.uk/video/rev_flicflacs_s.wmv 414Kb

Jan

David Ellison
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:54 pm

Thanks for the film Jan - good stuff

Are you using the standard bridle setup or have you moved the top tow points outwards?
Are you still thinking of having a go at stack multiline competitions? Newbury 3 weeks time........go on, the more the merrier!

kitejan

Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:39 pm

No just the standard bridle (at least it's the copy of the original Rev EXP I started with). I have noticed that it's easier with the vented kite - so much so I'm wondering about doing away with the leading edge vent and having a small vent in the center of each wing & using that as the 'standard' Rev. Or maybe not - we shall see!

And as for competing... well.... after watching part of the FlexiWallop1 STACk things I half wanted to have a go, and half was terrified! I think watching Chris Goff and Garry Matthews showed me that I have a few things to learn still!

I'm not around for Newbury, and travelling long distances would be difficult, so maybe something 'oop north' would tempt me to have ago!

Jan

Gary Matthews
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:19 pm

Yeah great stuff Jan, harder to do in the vertical plane, just got to get it right side of the window....David Ellison kindly gave me his dimensions on his bridle, which really helps to make the flic-flac easier, that said, it does make some of the easier tricks a little less manoverable....thanks David for that again.....is it worth tweaking, just to make one trick easier???

Gary the Rev