Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Davey, SpOoC

Tony S
Topic Author

Revolution spar quality ?

Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:35 am

Just got my new Rev 1 from GWTW, I also ordered SUL and UL spars for it, but these spars don't appear to be the straightest bits of carbon ever made.

Is it normal for Rev bits to be banana shaped ? The SUL bits are worse (one is corkscrewed, the others have about a 5 mm bend). Does this matter ? The assembled leading edge does have a smooth looking curve just hanging under it's own weight.

Any opinions ?

Cheers - Tony

Chris Goff

Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:42 pm

i neva had banna shaped rev bits that i know of

Jason
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:43 pm

It's not normal no, and yes I think it probably does matter. There's a lot of tension on the spars in a rev i.e. being compressed from end to end, if they're bent already they'll just bend a lot more. To send these back to the states is going to cost you most of what you've saved by buying it from the US in the first place.
Jason.

Tony S
Topic Author

Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:45 pm

Thanks for the comments - I'll have a look at the spars again when they are fitted in the sail and see how odd it all looks when ready to fly.

Thanks

spence602

Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:52 pm

If the spars aren't straight, call Steve and have him send you out a straight set, and then send the bananas back.
Spence

Gary Matthews
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:00 pm

Tony try the spars out in flight, my Ul leading edge has a curve under proper tension i think it should have, i thought that when i got it, but comparing it to a SLE theres a big difference,
Vertical spars not to sure about.................just looked, there a bit out, but seems to fly perfectly well though , just try it. Or buy some new ones and keep the Bananas for spares