Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

pink
Topic Author

Re: Coffee lover?

Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:15 pm

nothing can replace, taste of real caffe.
Prism Nexus, Chris Matheson - Midi Sandpiper, DIY Le Quartz, R-Sky Diablis, DIY Pink S.U.L
CIM - Fireman, DIY SunDog Fighter

http://pinkfloodesign.com/

mobius
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:29 pm

It depends what you like to drink. If you like espressos then it is a good machine. If you like bigger coffee drinks, then you might want to consider a different machine as you might need to use multiple capsules.

My parents have a Tassimo and that is better for americano style drinks but sucks at espressos and any that require milk froth.

I have a CitiZ with aeroccino. Really nice machine giving you a good range of drinks. The aerocinno is worth it by itself.. producing amazing milk froth for cappuccinos or lattes.

You're not going to beat a proper barista made cup, but this still gives good results.

With 19 crus (capsule types) (and occasional special editions that crop up).. there's pretty much something for everyone I guess.

The only downside (if it is a downside) is that you have to order from their website unless you are fortunate enough to live near to one of their boutique stores.

The website is quick and easy to use and delivery is pretty fast. They'll also offer to give you a replacement machine if yours breaks down.

So overall.. I'm very happy with mine.
Dave Morley

Zippy8

Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:36 am

dragonfly wrote:
What's the verdict on Nespresso? Yeah or Neigh.

The caffeine equivalent of silicone breast implants - still nice but not the real thing. And very expensive for what you end up with in your hand.

Mike.

mobius
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:54 am

You could also try this :shock:

http://aerobie.com/products/aeropress.htm

I think Jason has one.
Dave Morley

Andy S
King of FA

Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:08 am

I have an aeropress but switched to a stovetop for espresso and americano after camping with Piero.

Neither will give great crema, and there's no way to froth milk, but I take my coffee proper, so that doesn't bother me.

I would recommend using a metal filter for aeropress once the bundled papers run out.. much less fuss.

pink
Topic Author

Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:18 am

i mean this:

ImageImage
Prism Nexus, Chris Matheson - Midi Sandpiper, DIY Le Quartz, R-Sky Diablis, DIY Pink S.U.L
CIM - Fireman, DIY SunDog Fighter

http://pinkfloodesign.com/

Zippy8

Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:33 am

The Aeropress© is excellent although if you want espresso style coffee but don't want to splash silly money then get a decent grinder and a Handpresso ? Mine finally died from overuse..... :(

Mike.

stuartF

Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:17 pm

We have a Spong hand grinder, La Pavoni machine (without an eagle on the top) and buy coffee beans from an Italian wholesaler.
Coffee to die for, but still not a patch on what a spotty student can extract from a 10,000 euro machine in a cafe in Florence. :?

Stuart
the lunatic is on the grass

Zippy8

Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:24 am

stuartF wrote:
La Pavoni machine (without an eagle on the top)

I have lusted after their lever machines for years and even took a class in how to drive one. It's such a fantastic way to make something but I've stuck with their Espresso Inn Lusso pump machine until such time as I completely lose all self control :wink:

Mike.

Jason
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:39 am

There was a Nespresso machine at an office I worked at once and it was ok. But the coffee is stale. Any pre-ground and bagged coffee will be months old. The coffee itself is the biggest factor I have found. +1 for the stovetop and the epic results that Piero gets from them. That would be my preference before a Nespresso machine.
Jason.

fworley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:24 am

Jason wrote:
There was a Nespresso machine at an office I worked at once and it was ok. But the coffee is stale. Any pre-ground and bagged coffee will be months old. The coffee itself is the biggest factor I have found. +1 for the stovetop and the epic results that Piero gets from them. That would be my preference before a Nespresso machine.

+3 - you can't miss with one of these, for under $30.

Chasing better coffee reminds me a several other rabbit holes (audio, bicycles) which can get expensive quickly and for marginal gains.

I just can't be arsed with the work involved producing great coffee ... so I'll settle for consistently good-ish coffee (see above).

-Frazer

Andy S
King of FA

Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:40 pm

fworley wrote:
Chasing better coffee reminds me a several other rabbit holes (audio, bicycles)

Kites?

harveystubbs

Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:43 pm

I think the stovetops can make a decent brew, the bialetti brikka does give some crema but it’s not proper espresso and the bialetti moka express is good but it’s not a proper cappuccino.

Some of the other Italian stovetops are worth checking out too. I love (and own) the old atomic machines too …. Very interesting design and story.

I agree entirely with Mike’s comments on nespresso. It is also a bit limp wristed in the flavour department and the machines feel cheap.

La pavoni is a good machine but it usually says more about the purchaser than their love for coffee.

Rancilio still make the best affordable (?) barista home equipment. The grinder is especially good and one of the secrets to great crema. I wouldn’t recommend most bean to cup machines.

I am a big coffee fan in case you haven’t guessed :cool:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Zippy8

Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:10 pm

harveystubbs wrote:
La pavoni is a good machine but it usually says more about the purchaser than their love for coffee.

I resemble that remark ! :wink:

What does my Hario syphon say about me, I wonder ? :-k

Mike.

harveystubbs

Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:18 pm

Zippy8 wrote:
harveystubbs wrote:

I resemble that remark ! :wink:

What does my Hario syphon say about me, I wonder ? :-k

Mike.

I have reached that age where I am intentionally provocative for which I apologise. :roll:

I think the Hario says that you appreciate simple design well thought out design .... or maybe you have a meth lab. I have seen some old versions of these. Does it make good coffee? :cool: