Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

DorsetCodger
Topic Author

Wanted Trick or treat (Benson / Souldeeptv)

Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:54 pm

Hope it's OK to make 1st post here! I'm trying to get a copy of Tim Benson's 'Trick or treat' in DVD or mp4 or whatever format! I've been in contact with Tim Benson but he says there are none available. I've got some Benson Fizz kites that I bought in the mid 90's (2 x Phantom Elites + a Reflex) along with a pair of Aerie Airfx's and other kites that my 3 year old granddaughter recently 'discovered' in my house.
I used to fly pairs (one in each hand with a bar) when I lived in Yorkshire, and once put on an impromptu public display many hears ago when holidaying in Dorset (now living here).
I've trawled the internet and found the Prism video's on YouTube together with other short clips, but I'm looking for video's that will help me re-learn (or perhaps learn!) some tricks that my about 20 year old kites might manage. I've read that ToT features the Supernova, and that kite is years more developed than any of mine. I know that my Phantoms and Airfx's were aimed at precision, and my Reflex may be my only 'trickable' kite.
So if anyone has ToT in any format to buy or borrow, I'd be most grateful to hear from you
Many thanks
DC   

krijn
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Re: Wanted Trick or treat (Benson / Souldeeptv)

Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:15 pm

That video is great indeed.

But you could also search youtube for "dpmama74" and "randy greenway", both are linked on the Kiteclique-website: http://www.kiteclique.com/ (attention: there are more video's on youtube than are linked via Kiteclique).

Good luck!
Krijn

bryan beasley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:06 pm

Also, just for info... ToT features the Deep Space and Gemini. It pre-dates the Super Nova by a distance.
I've got a copy somewhere, if I can find it I'll lend it to you so long as you promise to send it back.

Bryan

DorsetCodger
Topic Author

Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:24 am

Krijn and Bryan - wow, I didn't expect replies quite so soon! Thank you both. I had stumbled across the dpmama video's from a forum posting by (from memory) J Barresi. I suppose they're best described as not my ideal way of learning / retaining the knowledge. Now that I have more time available I can watch a video time and again in the (probably futile) hope of retaining it on the field. You are quite right regarding the Deep Space / Gemini - I was relying on my memory of reading forum posts and should have checked again before posting!
I've (downloaded and) watched the Prism 'Advanced way to fly' quite a few times, but the ToT video was highly praised in various forums. References to it became fewer as time passed - understandably since it became harder to locate / procure a copy.
So Bryan, if you do manage to locate your copy, I would gladly pay postage both ways if I could borrow it for a few days please. I promise I'll quickly return it to you. I'm too new to this forum to know if there's a Personal Messages facility, but I'll log in from time to time in the hope that you've found your copy.
Kind regards
DC

RoyReed

Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:31 am

If you do want to PM someone, click on their name/avatar in the l/hand column. There's a PM link there.

And I can also recommend Randy Greenaway's kite trick videos. Here's a direct link: https://vimeo.com/album/1622897
Must fly
Roy
REEDDESIGN Web Design

DorsetCodger
Topic Author

Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:07 pm

Hi Roy. Thank you for the PM info and the link. I've had a look around the PM system with your help - sorted. I'm wondering whether my Reflex (and I) will be capable of some of those tricks. I'm hoping that ToT will be aimed more at 'old school' tricks given that both me and my kites are 'old school'!
I'll post up pictures of some of my kites when I've worked out how to get their file sizes down via MS Paint or suchlike. They are on this pc (not file hosted) and the forum wasn't happy with the file sizes last night.

honchoboy

Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:46 pm

Re: pictures...take a read of this. Think it still applies.
Ian
Northern Monkeys Kite Group

UK STACK Freestyle Champion '18

DorsetCodger
Topic Author

Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:56 pm

Wow. I'm genuinely pleasantly overwhelmed by all of your responses. Thank you
Honchoboy - I've replied to your PM. I'm trying to avoid Flickr etc - more than this old codger can cope with! I'll persevere in trying to find a way of reducing my photo file sizes with my native Windows 8.1 pc. I'll get there eventually.
Dragonfly - I've downloaded and watched a bit of it. Looks just as good as people have been saying. Split screen hands / kite is perfect. If I can't buy or borrow the whole film I'll be badgering you for more!
All the best

bryan beasley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:18 pm

Found it, so PM me your address and I'll get it in the post to you with a return address to send it back when you're finished. You and your Reflex will (with time, patience and practice) be able to perform some really nice flat spins, axels and Slot Machine type rotations. Backspins and Lazy rotations will be there but much more elusive and pitch tricks just not there at all without some modifications and weighting.

Bryan

DorsetCodger
Topic Author

Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:20 pm

DVD resolved a few hours ago. Many many thanks to all that have helped out this Dorset codger so soon after joining this forum. I've been looking after my granddaughter this afternoon (that discovered and rekindled my kite flying interest) so, with fewer demands on my time over the next few days, I'll persevere with trying to get some photos of my kites posted on the forum.

DorsetCodger
Topic Author

Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:13 pm

Bryan - thank you so much but another forum member had come up trumps earlier this afternoon, and at exactly the same moment as I was sending a pm to them your post came in, and it took me a while to unravel what had just happened. I'm absolutely bowled over by the generosity of you and other forum members towards me as a forum newbie. Could I be cheeky and ask that, if the other member is frustrated in his efforts, I might contact you again please?

jaydub

Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:35 pm

Pretty certain my original is scratched, so if anybody can take a copy of a pristine version it would be much appreciated.

DorsetCodger
Topic Author

Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:07 pm

Yes, 'tis a pity. There seems to be quite an interest in 'old school' but I expect that many newcomers (and old 'uns like me) would benefit from this level of tuition. Perhaps a licenced freebie like Prism have done? Yet to actually get it but metaphorically waiting-at-the-gate-for-the-postman.