Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

bionic
Topic Author

UL kite wanted! Open to suggestions

Wed May 10, 2017 12:46 pm

Hey all - looking for a light wind kite to use on lighter wind days. Any suggestions or kites for sale? I particularly like my benson deep space.

misterbleepy
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Re: UL kite wanted! Open to suggestions

Wed May 10, 2017 7:43 pm

I find the Deep Space UL even nicer than the standard, if that's any help - so no, I'm not selling mine ;-)
Tim will make you one...
Keith B
--
Kite Tricks mind map

bleep bleep bleep

bionic
Topic Author

Wed May 10, 2017 8:00 pm

Hows the gemini UL? Would be interesting to get a different shape

jaydub

Wed May 10, 2017 8:08 pm

I have a Vortex UL that I might be willing to let go.  It's an open source kite designed by Christian Derefat and the sail was made by the man himself.

kareloh

Wed May 10, 2017 8:55 pm

The Vortex UL is a very capable kite and different enough compared to your DS.
I would certainly recommend it!

This video shows some of it's capabilities:
https://youtu.be/1-ln8tiBH-U

OC Pablo

Wed May 10, 2017 11:16 pm

Typical good wind day for me can range from 3-9mph, so UL's are perfect!

My go to kite right now is my Lumo Vital S UL. It is Benson quality and I really connect with it. I am also very interested in a Sport Kites Design Level 7, I have a MX Comp and those two Kites are always in my car.

Love my Transfer XT.R UL, and a recent pick up that has me really impressed is a Flyings Wings Duende UL. Two completly different Kites, especially size wise, but both really fun to fly.

To be totally transparent, my skills are not anywhere near some of those on this board, but the feedback I have found to be spot on and very valuable.

Deep Space UL... very nice kite.

My personal piece of advice, find other flyers who have Kites that you might be interested. Each design has it's merits, and limitations. You need to find one that is visually appealing, but also has a flight characteristic that makes you want to find a reason to fly any chance you can!

bionic
Topic Author

Wed May 10, 2017 11:26 pm

Would be great to fly with other pilots but dunno where any are near me!I'm also on a full time study course at the moment and don't much opportunity to leave for a couple months. What kind of wind range does the vortex UL have?

jaydub

Wed May 10, 2017 11:34 pm

The Vortex UL is a true UL, so goes pretty low.  I'd guess at 3mph.  It's quite lightly framed so tricking becomes difficult above 7mph, particularly if it is gusty.  It certainly gives you an option to fly when you won't get a standard off the ground.  It's upper end is slightly academic as you are well into standard kite territory by then.

Palmahnic

Thu May 11, 2017 10:19 pm

I can also vouch for the Vortex UL capabilities. I built one for myself and it is one of my favorites. Where are you from? Maybe someone on the forum lives near you...
Thank you kindly,
Iftah.

fworley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri May 12, 2017 12:37 am

If you like your Deep Space ... you can try lightening it up for UL days.

Option1: Remove the upper spreader. The kite will change shape slightly and the the framing a little more floppy, but trust me
it is fine to fly the DS this way, I've done it on numerous occasions and all the tricks are still there, just a little slower.

Option2: Remove the tail weight - or decrease it.

Option3: Both of the above.

I can't recommended the DS UL highly enough, I think its an even better kite than the STD - and is capable of flying to SUL type winds.

-Frazer

bionic
Topic Author

Fri May 12, 2017 1:56 pm

Might have to consider a custom DS UL when I start work again. What about superfly UL?

jaydub

Fri May 12, 2017 2:19 pm

I like the SF UL much better than the DS UL, but is less a true UL than the DS UL.

The DS UL has a definite dead spot in the flare and JLs need careful timing on the pull back to the fade.  IIRC Frazer's was a one off raffle prize and predates the release of the DS UL by a few years.  It may well be that it has slightly different flying characteristics to the production DS ULs.  The SF UL in my view is a better all round kite but won't fly as low on those real low wind days.

We all like different things in our kites, so the best bet is try and find someone one has either or both of these kites and try them.

... or take a punt on a Vortex UL. ;)

fworley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri May 12, 2017 4:05 pm

Its true I have the very first DSUL which prolly does have some minor differences from the production version.

But I do also have a production version, I don't have nearly as much time on it - but I'm headed to the beach in a couple of weeks so I'll take 'em both and see what differences I notice.

As for the SFUL, its a great kite too. I won't fly as low as the DSUL, but you use those same options to fly it in marginal winds - and use shorter lines of course. Its a more modern/capable design, some tricks are easier to on it but I still prefer the floaty speed and feel of the DSUL, which is just about the perfect kite (for me at least)

-Frazer

Hawkerhunter
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sat May 13, 2017 7:40 am

Jest Of Eve Talon UL is another option, if you can find one.
Steve

In the bag
Talon UL, Talon standard(x2), Talon vented, Talon SUL Prism Q Pro, Elixir, Zephyr, E3, E2, Hypnotist, Nexus, 3D, Micron

http://www.facebook.com/northernmonkeyskitegroup.nmkg

misterbleepy
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun May 14, 2017 6:23 am

Definitely worth trying what Fraser suggested with the DS, and it's something I do with the DS UL too, when the wind gets really light - upper spreader out, weight off, and hey presto, an "almost SUL".
If you're ever down this way, you're welcome to try my DS UL out.
Keith B

--

Kite Tricks mind map

bleep bleep bleep