Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

jo
Topic Author

The Feather

Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:04 pm

This afternoon I collected this kite having waited about three weeks on delivery.

The reason for purchase being the desire to not wear the Nirvana UL out, at less than half the price it will be an interesting experience.

Weighing in at 160g which includes 10g of spine ballast it feels, very obviously delicate. The kite has a wind range of 0 - 3 BFT so along with the kite I had some very short lines made up.

It has an Icarex PC31 sail + Mylar, a 3 point bridle and yoyo stoppers.

An interesting point here is that when I have wrapped the Vana UL, at some point the lines have cut into the yoyo stoppers and on occassions the lines will wedge into the cut. Atelier have covered the LE around the stoppers and the stoppers themselves are more akin to the end of the stand-offs.

If this works I am wondering what a bit of attention might do to the other kite with a tad of cover........

Spine and lower spreader are Structil 5mm, The top cross and leading edges are 4mm.
With a wing span of 181 cm it seems a tiny kite.

Build quality seems excellent, the lower spreaders fitting into what looks like, and I could be wrong a Dot matrix T-style bar.
The Masque has small covers over the T-bar (which I havent lost yet) and the lower spreaders fit over it.

It comes with the basic Atelier black bag and instructions in French, I hope they dont say anything important.

It is the Gold version, grey central panel black along the LEs and Gold to wing tips.

I havent flown this kite yet and am thinking that pending my appearance on Sunday, if Jim is there this kite will be up against the 00.

Hoping the weather permits I might take it for a crash on Saturday, failing that it would give me pleasure to find out what others opinions are. If I am extremely lucky maybe Ed would consider reviewing it if he hasnt already. :cool: if his metro makes it.

Initial opinion is it looks good and being well made will hopefully help me through the stages of newbieness.

SteveR
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:19 pm

It comes with the basic Atelier black bag and instructions in French, I hope they dont say anything important.

Jo use this to help: http://world.altavista.com/

it sounds good, lets hope theres no wind on sunday :)

Eddie Green

Sat Jul 17, 2004 1:35 am

Mmmm Metro. Sorry got distracted.

jo
Topic Author

Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:02 pm

Well I didnt fly it too much today at Newbury, but I have to say I would not really say this is a zero wind kite, others may disagree.

It is vastly different to my Vana UL but I think I will grow to like this kite almost as much. Gave me pleasure to see Craig flying it and it seemed with some appreciation.

As a cheaper end UL I think this kite fits the bill, the feedback was it was possibly more tricky than the 00, but the 00 flew better in light wind or zero. So it seems a trade off on this one.

Noted today that there are some interesting build issues with this kite, apart from the cover over the yoyo stoppers the ferrules seem to be moulded (did I spell that right) giving less issues for the lines on the full length of the LE.

I watched others flying this kite and saw it perform well and look forward to trying it out fully myself, and will hopefully come back with a positive review.