Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

DonSketch

Re: Prism Zephyr

Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:39 am

After reading all these posts about the quality issues of Prism's CHINA SYNDROME ZEPHYR series sport kite that was introduced many many many "MOONS" ago. I GOTTA CHIME IN HERE! =D>

Also many MOON'S ago..at least more than a few (EVEN A FEW OUT AN OPEN CAR WINDOW)....
A fellow addicted BLUE MOONer kite flyer competitior friend of mine..PLUNKED DOWN HIS $200+ for one of those new made in China Zephyr's.

I was invited to try out the NEW CHAMBERS BAY PLAYFIELD FLYING SITE and also to test ride his BRAND NEW ZEPHYR.
OPPS!
It took about 30 seconds of air time to come to the conclusion that Mark's beautiful ZEPHYR UL, design was MORE THAN A HIGHLY COMPERMISED mistake? Add in that suspect workmanship and needless LOFTYEXCESS WEIGHT that actually tipped the scales more than any kite in my bag that day.

Bottom line:
I remember that the wind that first day was actually pretty good....(my Radio Shack sailboater's wind meter ran about 4 mph with gusts to around 8 to 12.) I took a few flights before leaving...but I heard that the following day....that my good Boeing wind tunnel kite addict Ron managed to trade off that New China Zephyr for another slightly used but not abused light wind kite made by Jon & Marianne that was an honest UL.

Over a week ago...FINALLY FOUND A BRAND NEW ZEPHYRS ON A CLOSE OUT DEAL...PRICED RIGHT AT ONLY $125.00...and it arrived just in time for a two day get away to Cannon Beach for two days of FUN IN THE SUN.

BARE BUTT BOTTOM LINE:
After working with this new Prism Zephyr... AND although it still weights more like heavy standard wind range kite.....

this made in China, has found its rightful fun place in my kite bag...IT'S A HOOT N' A HALLA' TO FLY AND NOT CRY ABOUT ATTEMPTING...RADICAL RISKY BUSINESS...
such as WIND TIP WATER SURF DRAGS...ending with letting that kite sink until just the nose is peekin' out of the water..even let a few incoming surf waves over ride the kite...and then quickly draggin it up out of the water...up into the air...snap stalling it...and then followed by a HEALTHY SHAKIN' TO BLOW THE WATER OFF THE KITE.
Simply beautiful...as the setting sun shines through that awesome LIME green sail..with water spraying off behind the kites path as it flies across the wind window.
Even managed to KITE STICK THAT KITE AGAINST THE ECOLA INNS BIG PICTURE WINDOWS OF OUR MOTEL.
For only $125.00 bucks...IT TRULY IS A FANTASTICAL' FUN KITE!
Even more fun....the last HIGH was to take that salt and sand laden kite, STRIP NAKED and then jump into the shower. Humm? my beloved wife still doesn't understand my fettish...NOTHING FEELS QUITE AS GOOD AS WET RIPSTOP AGAINST MY BARE SKINNY OL AZZZZ!!! :shock: :twisted: :roll: ;) :?: :oops: :oops:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by DonSketch on Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

DonSketch

Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:42 am

OPPS! brain and finger fart....OK! Craig and Andy! Edit or remove this post....WHEN I THINK ABOUT SPORT KITES...WEIRD THINGS START TO STIR IN MY BELABORED OLD BRAIN. :oops:

Zippy8
Topic Author

Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:15 am

Caffeine is a hell of a drug. =;

Mike.

fworley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:52 pm

Zippy8 wrote:

Mike.

But not hallucinogenic, so its not the problem in this instance.

-Frazer

Zippy8
Topic Author

Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:49 pm

You clearly don't consume it in the quantities or strength that I do. :shock:

Mike.

DonSketch

Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:39 pm

Zippy8 wrote:
You clearly don't consume it in the quantities or strength that I do. :shock:

Mike.

=D> Mike!
I really love that photo on your SUBJECT heading title!
Just for the record...attached here is my KATHY & TODD GOODWIND SUL ZEPHYR that helped glean me a few Competiton awards at local NW kite festivals...
This shot of me at the 1993-or 94 Lincoln City, Ore summer fest with my and my purty pink and Aqua kite.
Interesting that that kite always received waaaaay than my share of Wuzzzie-Razzin' for my choice of colors.
(By the time this photo was taken...that beautiful BRIGHT HOT PINK & AQUA SAIL and FADED BADLY from too many hours sitting and flying for endless hours on bright sunny beaches and BOEING CEMENT TARMAC during lunch time breaks at the windtunnel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

harveystubbs

Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:37 pm

At $125 I would be tempted but there is too much nicer sounding stuff coming out at the mo' which is demanding my attention.

Nice fanny pack by the way.

DonSketch

Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:59 pm

"FANNY PACK'S-BUTT PACKS-NAD PACKS-GUT PACKS" (just to name a few) in the early 90's were pretty much used by all kind of nerdalldo's included some addicted kite addicts---even worse was the consistant teasing about my faded pink hat and kites.

Years ago...Rob Scribner of the original "CUTTING EDGE KITE TEAM" and I chose these HOT NEON colors for all our competition kites, because just how BOLD AND BEAUTIFUL THEIR PRESENCE APPEARS AGAINST A ROYAL BLUE SKY..not only that but HOT PINK when flying, especially when flying with other team members that have a habit of wandering all over the flying field... HOT PINK in motion really helps with a human-noid's perifual' vision.
Sadly....
In those early days with NEON FABRICS...AS WELL AS PAINTS...FOUND OUT JUST HOW QUICKLY THEY FADED TO A WUZZIE SHADE OF PINK!However these faded pink & aqua packs were picked up by a number of kite teams for this very reason...i
Not only did CUTTING EDGE TEAM use these faded pinkee' color combos..but others as well, including the amazing SAN FRANSICO "LAVENDER WINDS" kite team. (as I remember at a Longbeach festival..this Team even wore matching "TU-TUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ *)

DonSketch

Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:32 pm

harveystubbs wrote:
At $125 I would be tempted but there is too much nicer sounding stuff coming out at the mo' which is demanding my attention.

Nice fanny pack by the way.

By the way...here is the shot that I took of Rob Scribner and the original kite team...
Blame me...for his addictions to kite flying...he was a supervisor at Boeing. We used to take long lunch hours and practice our routines in the Boeing Parking lots!
That was soooooooooooooo long ago.

Hard to believe that I could so easily addict Rob, his wife Sherry, and her brother....
Rob even quit his high stress n' paying Boeing job...to start up his own Kite shops.
The rest is history.
Check out his beautiful custom made RAM JET kites made by the amazingly gifted Rod Guyette of Tacoma Wa.
http://www.rangerrob.com

DonSketch

Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:51 am

Zippy8 wrote:

Mike.

MIKE...A HUGE THANKS GOOD KITE BRO'..on that post of yours in the GWTW forum web site and for helping me rid those little blue n green mini icons attached to every thumbnail photo on my computer. ...of those annoying little BLUE N GREEN ICONS.
=D> =D> =D> =D>