Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

SteveB
Topic Author

Element - first impressions

Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:43 pm

30 second review -

Mine arrived yesterday and we had an hour to play in light winds (3-5mph)

The first thing you will notice when you put it together is how much flatter the sail is than most modern kites. Very old school. You know it's not going to fly like anything else in your bag. You are wondering... will it do beautiful flat spins and axles... and still be able to pitch like a modern kite.

Well, I'm thrilled to report that, probably due to the deep cut and hence small sail, the answer is a resounding yes. The timing is all over the place and I will need a fair bit more time to get used to it, but this clearly is an extremely capable kite. The flat stuff - on its front, 540s, slots taz machines and axles are elegant and easy. and on is back, backspins and multilazys are similarly straightforward. And despite having a light feel to the frame, once it starts rotating it just doesn't want to stop. And yet the kite doesn't oversteer when just flying about

You will notice the kite loves to be on its back - almost to a fault. And similarly it locks into a fade wonderfully, although I found that much easier to get into from a flic flac rather than a fractured axle. Half axles, cascades and cometes I found a touch tricky. Probably because of the flat sail, the nose really goes away, so recovery is harder. I guess I'll have to work on the timing and slack for those.

So finally I came to the pitch and wrap tricks. I have always struggled with these but I found yo-yos, wap-do-waps, and lewis' easily within my grasp. The cable-tie yo-yo stops work well. And in the hands of a more capable flier I'm sure multiple wraps and yo-yo 540s ad the like are just as easily within reach.

I have a feeling we'll see some really exciting flying on the circuit with these around this summer.
Gotta fly,

Steve

Zippy8

Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:18 pm

Thank you very much =D>

I shall now go away and fire up VF12.

Mike.

Eddie Green

Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:53 pm

Mmm this kite reminds me of the Darkside I modded up with weights and yo-yo bits.

What a strange beast.

Axels and Flatspins want to keep going. Cascades are very tender. Yo-Yo's are frequently unexpected.

Look forward to flying it in some cleaner wind.

Zippy8

Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:16 pm

Eddie Green wrote:
Mmm this kite reminds me of the Darkside I modded up with weights and yo-yo bits.

The Albion kite of lore ? I must say it sprung to my mind too, especially as I have a tidy Darkside lying around.

Mike,

Eddie Green

Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:04 pm

Zippy8 wrote:
Eddie Green wrote:

The Albion kite of lore ? I must say it sprung to my mind too, especially as I have a tidy Darkside lying around.

Mike,

Although the Element is certainly a class above the Dartkside in many ways.

Better Frame, straighter leading edges, and a modern finish. Just want some wind now.

Keithgrif
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:23 pm

Surely you're a bit busy this weekend?
Keith
STACK UK
National Director 2006-2012

ExGrads pairs, fourth in Europe 2011!!!
Airheads team, 10th in the world 2012

Andy S
King of FA

Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:06 pm

Keithgrif wrote:
Surely you're a bit busy this weekend?

I was thinking it was funny that Ed had re-appeared at what should be his busiest period, and with a revamped banner and site!

fishface
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:48 pm

Mmm yes,just dug my Darkside out of the loft space,original format,but will see how it looks/compares over the weekend.

Peter

Eddie Green

Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:49 pm

Surely the weather would have more to do with it. And Carl badgering me?

Had a really nice day with the Element today. Takes a while to tune into. Not sure how to describe it really.

Stan Doff
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:56 am

Eddie Green wrote:
Not sure how to describe it really.

Expensive?
Elitist?
http://www.fracturedaxel.co.uk/phpBB2/v ... php?t=8540
:lol:

Eddie Green

Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:08 pm

Yes it is those.

Eddie Green

Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:41 pm

Okay been flying the Element again, in it's repaired state.

Changes, well the bridle is on Red - it has been very light winds. In this set up the Element feels like a UL-STD rather than a STD. Saturday when the wind was really low was harder work.

Last night I added a yo-yo line. Not for yo-yo's (it is a bit too long and too far back for that) but to cut down tip-wraps when trying to do new stuff. It really makes a difference on the frustration score.

Cascades have come together. It will do some really nice variations, including french nose down jobs, but also 3/4 rotations with diagonal slides or stalls between the next axel. Standard cascades are more flip floppy. A lot of the time you have to make the kite fall rather than stay in the middle of the window. Probably my bridle settings.

Rolling up? Very very easy mate. Even in the more curved circular flying style I prefer. The yo-yo line does help here as it makes rare missed stops more recoverable. I have managed three wraps without any problems. Seems very safe and locked in when wrapped.

When rolled up and locked 540's are lovely and don't pop out unless you give the kite some input. More tricky stuff is beyond my flow at the moment, but I am sure it will come.

Lazy Susan and Turtle stuff is great. Never got my .85 tuned for these tricks how I wanted. This is more like a Transfer. Yes it likes to spin. But I am being careful with these tricks as I have already broken one spar!

Haven't held a fade with it yet, but backspins are great fun. Flat and fast and the kite rises. Not tried cascading them yet. Just spanking it.

The Element is really fun to play with just off the ground. It loves low side slides, tip landings, coin tosses and variations. With the settings I am on it likes to lift which is great for old-school groundwork.

Flat spin tricks are lovely. Easy to pop a 540 on the kite anywhere in the window, and often it will keep going helicopter style. Repeating 540's are surely built in, if I could remember the inputs. I am not a 540 facist, but the Element is lovely and flat in belly down rotations with minimal effort. If that sort of thing makes you smile then this kite will make you grin like grinny person on national keep grinning day.

Cometes and axel on axel combinations. Well I managed 2 comete blocks before I messed up the timing. Which is progress. The yo-yo line helps with the practicing as tip wraps don't happen so much and you get to fly another day. But comete syle tricks don't seem to be as accessible as the yank and spank Fury or the float and gloat Deep Space. I am sure it is a matter of tuning in, and others have found cometes easy. I am probably just very rusty indeed. But this is recreation right?

Some notes. After flying the Element I couldn't get anything out of a Nirvana and struggled with the Pilot (hey Jack get your VF entry in!).

Is Simples. Is a different style of kite.

Yan very kindly (I think) said that after watching me fly it he could see the difference between trick flying and freestyle (can - worms - open). So the Element can certainly be flown in a sloppier more reactive relaxed style.

Is this the best kite I have ever flown? Who cares. It is the one I am flying at the moment.

Eddie Green

Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:00 pm

Oh.

Took it out. Blowing a Gale. Silly Wind. About 15mph.

Settings closer to black. Comete type things easier.