Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

Vee
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Re: Challenger Sails demo tour

Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:12 pm

I'm looking forward to trying these again this week (holiday) but if I don't manage it, I'll pass them on anyway.
Love Veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Needs to fly more, now that I can.

Zippy8
Topic Author

Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:15 am

jaydub wrote:
I think Mike was referring to Aerie having been used before

Nope. The kite is called a K2. That it was made by Aerie means that some people will get most upset if another kite by that name turns up, just like they did with R-Sky's Next which turned into the Next Up in the USA only. But they're only Americans so it's OK to annoy them :P

It's not a big point either way. Just... you know. :?

Mike.

mistert

Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:48 am

@ Vee: thanks for letting me know. no problem at all if you want to keep them longer. buon volo

@ Mike: will the Americans forgive me if they kew i named it that way after watching a documentary on the K2 mountain ? :?
i made chs aware of this and i am waiting to see what they'll come up with.

paolo

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:24 pm

mistert wrote:
will the Americans forgive me if they kew i named it that way after watching a documentary on the K2 mountain ?

...and not because of the 2 K's, looks nice btw.

Vee
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:27 am

Well, I took the Miro (& the Mondrian) out yesterday & flew in the aforementioned stupid winds, about 15-18. I haven't really much to add to my report on the Miro previously. It flew well, was still in it's happy flying niche. I chickened out of flying it when the winds picked up to 25. Flying in more gusty conditions showed me it is really a beach kite, in that it flies lovely in smooth winds, but inland with turbulence it is less comfortable. A long way from unflyable but it doesn't smooth out the stalls and jerks of uneven winds, again I'd suggest that it will help you to learn how to deal with rubbish wind, because it's momentum will drive you through the empty patches & It's weight means it is a slow accelerator, but it's careful & precise design means it does respond to everything.

The Miro: well I haven't played with it in it's happy wind range, which I guess is higher than standard. In low winds it was too heavy for me to run and fly, amongst the SUL's it was like a stumbling drunk in a ballet. In 15-18 yesterday it was overpowered, but still flyable, but only in a zoom around the sky way. Right at the edges of the window I could get it to trick, it was fast and performed at least as well as my skill level, which remains poor. I got a couple of good sharp half axels out, with minimal window dropping, which is quite an achievement for me. I think I would get on really well with the Miro if the brief glimpse I had was typical, but the issue, as always, would be that I live in an SUL area, but the kites are clearly for a much heavier wind.

If anyone else wants them, please post & I'll send 'em on. If not, then I'll send them home after Christmas.
Love Veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Needs to fly more, now that I can.

Stan Doff
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:58 pm

These kites actually made in Italia?
If this was the Seventies the bridles would be a complex nightmare and the frames would rot. :wink:

mistert

Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:36 am

Stan Doff wrote:
These kites actually made in Italia?

designed, sewn and ... bridled in italia

ciao
paolo

mistert

Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:20 am

Hi there,
any update from Ireland ? Looking forward to it.

Please let me also know how's the demo supposed to develop. Any test flying scheduled or are the kites making their way back home after this ?

ciao
paolo

mistert

Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:05 pm

Hi Jurgen,
thanks for all.
In case no one is willing to have a go with the kites could we arrange their flight back to italy ?

Please let me know.
Bye for now

ciao
paolo

Zippy8
Topic Author

Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:33 pm

mistert wrote:
In case no one is willing to have a go with the kites could we arrange their flight back to italy ?

So that'd be last orders then. If anyone fancies a go with these universally praised kites then let it be known now or they'll be returned home with FA's thanks. Try 'em - you will like 'em. :)

I hope that Challenger have gained some useful information from this and some well deserved exposure.

Mike.

mistert

Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:42 am

Zippy8 wrote:
I hope that Challenger have gained some useful information from this and some well deserved exposure.

That's for sure. Chs got a lot of feedback from all of you guys. In developing the latest kites all your comments have been taken in great considerations. they tryed wherever possible to meet your suggestions and to do things accordingly.

i think i can take this opportunity to thank all of you once again on behalf of CHS for your committment and for sparing some of your time in writing reviews, making videos, taking pictures ecc. all very much appreciated.

Special thanks to Craig and Mike for taking care of and setting up the demo tour.

Ciao
Paolo