Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

kareloh
Topic Author

Mini-review: Step-by-step Le Quartz

Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:51 pm

Minireview: Le Quartz by Cristian Derefat
(Build-your-own-trickkite-step-by-step version)

After building the kite from Tom's website i've been flying it the entire weekend.
One thing is clear: this is a really fun kite and quite different from any other kite i own.

My version:
I've build the kite with a different frame compared to the bulding description. Structil 6mm was used in the Leading Edges and Skyshark P300 for the spine. After i was done building the kite i noticed my centercross is 1 cm higher of the spine. Also added: 3mm glass Rollbars (Benson-style) and 5 extra grams of weight.

Flight:
The Quartz feels nice and light on the lines but has enough feedback to feel in control of the kite. The turning radius is a bit wide with the default bridle setting. Overall precision of the kite is average/good. Even in high gusts of wind the frame stays in shape without shuttering tips.

Tricks:
This is where it gets intresting. First of all, it 'locks' into a fade unlike any kite i've ever flown and rises very easily. With my current tailweight it sits deep and steep. This means flicflac's have to be done with care. Agressive inputs just make the fade rise very fast without the nose dropping down towards the flare. Flicflacs are possible offcourse, but need to be done just before the fade locks in. Backspins can be done nice and flat with some walking forward and backspin-cascades are no problem at all. Double backspins with one input are there as well. Axels are also flat and double axels are within reach when enough slack is given. Next is the backflip. This is where the kite excels. The kite sits deep in the backflip but recovers very easily from lifters, lazy susans and multi lazies. Cyniques are there and don't need to be done agressively. Only a small pop will roll it up from backflip position. Single input rollups are a bit slow compared to todays stretched, wide kites but certainly not difficult. Frontflip tricks like crazycopters and yofades tend to pitch quicker. 540's are a bit of a problem because of the rather slow pancake. It needs loads of slack to set it up for the flatspin. Slotmachines are a bit easier, but also need quite some slack management. With the Taz i had only a few lucky hits, but for me that's normal :).

Conclusion after only one weekend of flying:
All i can say is: build this kite! It's rather easy to build using Tom's website. It's cheap, especially when build with a pultruded carbon frame, and so much fun to fly!
Well done Christian, another sweeeeet open source kite.

Video of first weekend of flying Le Quartz:
http://www.ickytv.org/
Last edited by kareloh on Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DWayne

Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:55 pm

Good review. I've had pretty much the same results with mine. I made mine with .75oz nylon and framed it with P200 ULE and P300 LLE. P100 top cross and P300 spine. I've got 20gms in the tail. This was my first attempt at building and it was really easy to do. The kite is just plain fun to fly. I did change the bridle a bit. 47cm upper, 43cm lower, 63cm inner, and 9cm turbo. It tracks a little better and turns a lot sharper.

Denny
Rehab is for Quitters

kareloh
Topic Author

Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:08 pm

Ah, i'll try that bridle as well.

ObijuanKenobe

Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:24 pm

Looks really great, guys. At some point, I need to save the money from couple kites and get an old machine...and try this.

I'd feel alot better about flying aggressively if I was building that which I could potentially destroy.

Great review. Thanks!
obi
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

kareloh
Topic Author

Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:04 pm

Added a little video of our first weekend flying Le Quartz:
http://www.ickytv.org/

ObijuanKenobe

Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:19 pm

Groenlo...small field...veel gezelligheid.

Thanks for the film. Lovely long slow pancake on that one. :)

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

ObijuanKenobe

Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:23 pm

I had another look at this vid...after reading a post on the dutch forum.

Indeed, there is a 540 exit from a rolling cascade...and I think I also spotted the rolling susan shove it.

Damn!

obi

kareloh
Topic Author

Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:29 pm

Lucky shots! ;)