Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

JaysonB
Topic Author

Questions on Trick Kite

Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:52 pm

So here is my questions... From what i have read the Carl Robertshaw Fury is a Pattern, Competition Kite first and a trick kite second. What would be its opposite or the best trick kite out there and i know the responses are going to be biased but lets try and be honest... What is winning all the free style competitions right now?? is there a kite that is just dominating? Thanks for the feed back and i look forward to hearing all your responses!

Jason
Santa Clara, CA
Flyin High!!

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:20 pm

Here in the UK the Fury .85 in the hands of Chris Goff, but no one else can trick the .85 like Chris.

I'm sure that on his day he could fly >insert your kite of choice here< and he'd still win, it's about the flyer rather than the kite.

Zippy8

Re: Questions on Trick Kite

Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:20 pm

JaysonB wrote:
Fury is a....Competition Kite first and a trick kite second.

That's a good enough summary.

What would be its opposite or the best trick kite out there

What is winning all the free style competitions right now??

Two different questions with two different answers. A trick kite for me is just not meant to fly figures; it might be possible but it isn't what it's for. Try a Deep Space, try an Akuji. If you believe some people, try a Widow Maker :shock:

Comps. (even the new fangled trick comps.) tend to be won by slightly more conservative kites as predictability is also needed. Nirvana, Fury .85, Cosmic TC....

TBH there isn't going to be one answer. There are plenty of choices and "'cos it looks nice" is probably going to end up as the clincher as to why you buy one kite rather than another.

For me... if I want to trick-out and sod the lines and corners, the Akuji UL has leapt to the front of the queue. If I was going to enter a competition (I'm not), it'd be the Sin.

Your (and everyone else's) Mileage May Vary
:wink:

Mike.

Nils

Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:56 pm

I'd say Christian's diablis. As soon as you look at that thing, it rolls up into a yo-fade. :shock:

Mark E Mark

Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:43 pm

What if you just want to JL, do you have to avert your eyes and keep your hands in your pockets?

Jason
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Re: Questions on Trick Kite

Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:38 am

JaysonB wrote:
From what i have read the Carl Robertshaw Fury is a Pattern, Competition Kite first and a trick kite second.

Agreed.
JaysonB wrote:
What would be its opposite or the best trick kite out there and i know the responses are going to be biased but lets try and be honest...

It could be argued that it's the Gemini, purely on the points of it being so recoverable and the fact that it was at the top of it's game for so much longer than anything else out there.
JaysonB wrote:
What is winning all the free style competitions right now??

Have a look at the virtual freestyle videos, there's lots of Deepspaces, Cosmics, Talons and some others.
JaysonB wrote:
is there a kite that is just dominating?

Not really, it's more the flyer I'd say and whatever they have chosed to be their kite-du-jour.
Jason.

yogegoy

Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:55 pm

Hey Jay sorry we haven't had a second fly meet but it's unpredictable. Are you usually out at Baylands around 5pm? Maybe I could take the Light Rail just like Richard Debray's video with my Nirvana UL :dude: