Moderators: Craig, Andy S

bryan beasley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

'Vertical' by Didakites

Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:42 pm

A what? - by Who?

Ok, I'm a touch sceptical about this, but here we go...

Tony at Go-kites has a bunch of these on the shelf and hasn't sold many, so handed one over for a road test and for sharing around - I'll put it in the library as soon as I've done a bit of video.

It's the sort of thing that 'we' (the experienced freestyler) wouldn't take a second glance at because it's a cheap, mass produced brand. At £77 or so though, it's not the sort of thing that a parent is going to buy a for kid on a whim. Other stuff in the range is a fair bit cheaper. So this then, is the top end of the range.

It gives itself a 3 star rating for 'traction', 5 stars for 'tricks', 4 stars for 'needs experience', 4 stars for 'light wind', 3 stars for 'speed' (?) and 3 stars for precision. Yup, it's that sort of kite with all the relevant information on a handy piece of card in the sleeve.

Out of the bag, this is actually quite a nice looking thing. There's some pretty decent dyneema lines and soft wrispt straps. Ripstop and (big chunk of) mylar 210cm sail that's nicely put together and 6mm carbon throughout. Sure, it looks a bit plasticy and the sticks are a bit - ermmm - well, 6mm carbon really, but it's not that shabby.

So, I'm expecting this to fly like a brick - if there's a reasonable gale to keep the thing in the air at all.

However, 5 - 8 mph on Sunday morning at Chester is what I had to play with, so that's how the 'Vertical' was tested and d'you know what? It actually does stuff.

Pretty sharp axels, nice stable fade and backspins were there and seriously, turtle based spins that were really nice. I'd got lazies and multies, rolling cascades and insanes and a few cyniques nailed down in the first couple of minutes. As something to learn a few tricks on (and it would have to be a next step type thing, 'cos it don't fly itself if you know what I mean) it's pretty good. I actually found myself enjoying it and smiling a bit. I'll get some footage next chance out, and show you what I mean.

I would suggest, that this is never going to appeal to a 'serious' flier (it is when all said and done, mass produced and obvious), and there are plenty of options out there for the aspiring trickster on a budget, not yet willing to financially commit to a 'serious' kite but, as a flick about beach kite, or as one of those cheaper options - it's worth a look.

Would I buy one?
Well, no, not really.
Would I recommend one?
In the right circumstance - absolutely, it's allright is what it is, allthough the price range (£50 - £100) does include things like the Lvl One 'Jump', and it's bordering on Eolo 'Over', Flying wings 'Silver Fox' and 'French Connection' territory. So would I still recommend one?

Yup.

Bryan

Stan Doff
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:09 pm

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/GoKites-Online ... idZ2QQtZkm

if you want to see Tony's stock of Didakites.

Didak site here http://www.didak.com/

AND on your point about similar kites,Eolo do the RTF 2.14m Neox for about £80 and Bristol Kitestore want only £75 for a 2.3m SilverFox (w/o lines)

lowerdfool

Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:14 pm

StuartB

Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:37 pm

lowerdfool wrote:

Nah! Must have been one of the many other Belgian firms that make beginners kites.

Still, just on the off-chance, it might be worth replacing the lower spreaders with 5PTs.

(That's quite a classy set of plans there as well!)

Aeri

Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:13 am

wel,

in my experiance... they are toys...
bridles come loose, connectors break, stitching is lousy, protection falls of after some time and so on...

the're perfect for a kid thats on a onetime holliday near the coast and thats what the're made for.... and good for to :-)

eolo makes them with better quality and for a better price, so does HQ...
Old school was a great school