Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

Stan Doff
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:20 pm

I like my sleeves.
Different colours,helps me get orientated.

StuartB

Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:52 pm

Stan Doff wrote:
I like my sleeves.

I used to think this was pretty important until I realised that it is easy see which side of the kite a line goes to by just putting a little tension on it.

I still have different colours on most of my lines though, and when one of the lines has green sleeves I put it in my right hand (nautical analogy) just in case I am too preoccupied to check the lines before take off.

My Shanti sleeves are black and white and I still haven't worked out a politically-correct analogy or mnemonic for this pairing, so I just put them on at random.

Jest_of_EVE
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Location: The exact opposite side of the planet to New Zealand - Bummer!

Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:56 pm

Personally, I use de-cored bridle line braiding as sleeving.

Works fine and is very cheap.

Stuarts tension thing lets you know what's what after that.

Mark

Stan Doff
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:40 pm

StuartB wrote:
Stan Doff wrote:
I like my sleeves.

I used to think this was pretty important until I realised that it is easy see which side of the kite a line goes to by just putting a little tension on it.

I still have different colours on most of my lines though, and when one of the lines has green sleeves I put it in my right hand (nautical analogy) just in case I am too preoccupied to check the lines before take off.

Not just nautical,aircraft also carry green lights to starboard and red to port.
My Eolo has red and grey straps so I always fly with the red strap in left hand and the line attached is the one with red striped sleeves so I know which one to attach to the left side of the kite.
And my Climax lines are orange sleeved on one line,green on the other.
Of course the lines on a Prism winder marked Gold Dual that came with the Gem are sleeved black and white just to be helpful.

Tugging at the lines to check handedness?
Waste of good flying time if you ask me 8-)
Last edited by Stan Doff on Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slow Dog

Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:10 am

audiorob wrote:
there are often imperfections in the line (or damage) that will cause the line to break elsewhere way before the knot will, especially if the knot is tied properly.

Pah. Mine broke +2 m from the centre, and the knot recut within 30 seconds on my next flight. Which means Rob's telling me I don't tie my knot's properly. :P

Stan Doff
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Re: Skyline Horizon

Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:42 am

StuartB wrote:
Solution: a double knot on the loop or a knot at each end of the sleeved sections before they are knotted into a loop (I have tried both but not for long enough to be sure that both methods have fixed the problem).

Looking at my lines,which all came pre-sleeved on winders:
Basic dyneema with Eolo kite-sleeves kotted at one end then loop secured with two distinct knots a few mm apart.
Climax Protec-no knots at ends,loop secured with err..big knot
Lines on 'Gold Dual' winder-knotted both ends of sleeve,loop secured with single knot.

sftonkin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:18 am

StuartB wrote:
, and when one of the lines has green sleeves I put it in my right hand (nautical analogy)

Ah. Using the nautical analogy, I do exactly the opposite. If the green is in my left hand, then the kite, which I visualise as flying towards me, has a green flash on its starboard side.

datenland
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:48 am

Ah. Using the nautical analogy, I do exactly the opposite. If the green is in my left hand, then the kite, which I visualise as flying towards me, has a green flash on its starboard side.

This is mean. I am using Stuart's analogy and now I've got to think it all over again. :cry:

Erik
You can make your neighbours think that you have fluorescent lights in all the rooms in your house by quickly turning the lights on and off several times before leaving them on.

jaydub

Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:06 am

sftonkin wrote:

Getting into convoluted territory here. If you're going to get all nautical, the kite would have to be upside down to resemble a hull shape and the upper (leeward) side of the sail would be touching the water. The nose would be the bow and the right hand wing (as you face it) would be the starboard side and green on the right wing would be correct.

Perhaps we're thinking about this a bit hard and should keep it simple.

I've noticed that most kite fliers fly with red sleeving on the right hand side. Not sure why, but I don't think there's any nautical influence. It's probably because red and right both begin with the same letter. :D

misterbleepy
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:37 am

jaydub wrote:
I've noticed that most kite fliers fly with red sleeving on the right hand side. Not sure why, but I don't think there's any nautical influence. It's probably because red and right both begin with the same letter. :D

I do it that way - I got it from how audio leads (phono/RCA) are coloured, so red is right, white is left.
Keith B
--
Kite Tricks mind map

bleep bleep bleep

Stan Doff
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:09 pm

jaydub wrote:

I've seen that in some kite flying instructions somewhere on the web.

I always think of port as being red after seeing a glass of the stuff and coming from the generation who grew up with "Captain Scarlet" I always say "S.I.G." or "starboard (Spectrum) is green".

Slow Dog

Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:34 pm

misterbleepy wrote:
jaydub wrote:
It's probably because red and right both begin with the same letter. :D

I do it that way - I got it from how audio leads (phono/RCA) are coloured, so red is right, white is left.

Red is Right, agreed. But when I'm using my black/white sleeved set, it's "White is Right", from rhyme, and chess boards.

StuartB

Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:22 pm

Red Port wine Left on the sideboard

We've come a long way from a review of a set of kite lines!

Stan Doff
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:42 pm

StuartB wrote:
Red Port wine Left on the sideboard

We've come a long way from a review of a set of kite lines!

In my experience 'thread hijacking' is a time honoured custom of internet forums. :lol:

Jason
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:00 pm

Have you tried turning it off and turning it back on again?
Jason.