Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

Ellie
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Fury- a novice perspective

Mon May 03, 2004 5:23 pm

As a fairly inexperienced flyer (less than a year flying and far too little practice!) I had just about nailed push turns, axels and pancakes. However keen to develop my skill level I had found myself stuck in a rut. Eager to move on to axel to fade, and the wealth of tricks that stem from it, but unable to snap stall well enough, moral was low and action needed to be taken to fill in the gaps in my learning...

Enter Fury (Skyshark) at the suggestion of Richard (one of the very patient coaches at Newbury Stack coaching workshop).

The large sail area was the first bonus for me as it slowed everything down and gave me time to think about what do next. (Time is everything to someone with the hand/eye coordination of a newt!) My input in order to get the kite to do what I wanted had to be clear and deliberate, and in return it did what I wanted and was stable, lacking the oversteer of some kites which can really throw me when I am trying to learn something new (Is it me or is it the kite!!!)

It needed firm handling but responded well and rewarded me with snappy accurate precision figures and punchy snap stalls. My axels were coming by the end of the day and I felt my understanding of how to execute tricks had moved on considerably, and I am sure will continue to do so. It is probably not the right kite for you if you like the "hanky on a string" experience as you always know it is there, but as a novice that makes it easier to see where you are going next.

It flew in surprisingly low wind due to its huge sail although my only wish would have been to have had an ultralight so when the wind dropped completely I could have kept going! I also found it easy to recover on the ground which avoided the inevitable beginners "walk of shame" and meant I spent more time flying and less time running up and down the lines to set it up.

As an inexperienced flyer I really liked the Fury. Having watched Carl execute every trick in the book effortlessly on it, I know it is a kite that can grow with you as your skill level progresses and as a girlie aside I also think the purple colourway is dead sexy too! ;)

SpOoC
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon May 03, 2004 6:15 pm

Thanks Ellie, nice review.

I didn't have the same ammount of flying time on a Fury, but did get the chance to try some pairs (At pre novice level :D) with Dave and a quick go on the Flexi version.

I totally agree with you about finding it easier to work with a kite which doesn't oversteer and the being able to slow everything down.

I can't justify the expense of buying one for now, I have the Rev to work with and that's probably enough. However it has made me realise that at some point I would like to learn how to fly two line properly so it could well be something I will look at in the future :D

Sadly, the girlie purple colourway isn't in the Flexifoil version :(
Refusing to use the spellchick!

jo

Mon May 03, 2004 8:51 pm

I thought there was a girlie purple one, maybe I am wrong

Ellie
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Mon May 03, 2004 8:59 pm

http://www.flexifoil.com/products/fury.php

The cool colourway is a bit purply but not as saucy as the skyshark FU03!
Els

Fractured axel - its a kite thing

jo

Mon May 03, 2004 9:00 pm

Aha thought there was a purply one ish, we need a vote on favorite colour now lol

Eddie Green

Mon May 03, 2004 10:31 pm

Mon May 03, 2004 10:44 pm

FU05 for me!

Nice review. I agree with your comments, I thought pretty much the same after the 15 minutes or so that I had with the Aerostuff version.

Jim

jr

Mon May 03, 2004 10:45 pm

One minute you're logged in.....

Jim