Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

jrharrold
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Katana - std

Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:53 pm

I have flown a Katana and Icarus over the past week or so. I need to spend more time on the Icarus but the Katana has proved to be a very enjoyable kite.
It is very well built with reinforced trailing edge, quality fittings and very neat sewing. It also looks neat in the air. If you have seen pictures of it on GWTW it appears tall but in real life it looks nicely proportioned.
It has a very easy flying style. Seems to have controlled speed across the window, stalls well, tight spins, side slides and makes nice corners. It has a feel of a kite designed by an old hand. I could imagine Peter Taylor or Ken McNeil making this kite
The kite comes with 17/18 grams of weight which I found a little too much. It has a much smoother style with 6grms. Sits well in a turtle and still holds a fade. Its tricking style is similar to a Surprise/Evo 814 rather than an Opium say. It backspins flat and lazy susans and Jacobs as well as any kite and will roll up with a double pop technique. The tow points are a little narrow which tends to allow both lines to fall over the same LE if you are not careful.Axels and 540s are nice as well. I do not know if it will comete as I can not do them
I would say it is a really good summer afternoon kite. Not perhaps cutting edge like a Nirvana say, or a radical precision kite which needs to be set up, but a get out of the bag and have an easy relaxed flying session with tricks thrown in as well.
Jeremy
Stratford upon Avon
England

Ian Newham
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:00 pm

I've just been looking at the Katana on GWTW and I'm quite tempted. Have your opinions of this kite changed any ? Have you gone off it and want to sell it yet? :-) Has anyone else flown Jeremys Katana who would like to offer any opinions?