Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

Sat May 29, 2004 10:09 pm

Jo,

You could always try and fit two leech lines....double the pleasure. The real answer is to develop an Active leech line that would adjust with the wind speed. I know a guy that meddled with active venting which seemed to work quite well.

Davey

Sun May 30, 2004 9:21 pm

Anonymous wrote:
Jo,

You could always try and fit two leech lines....double the pleasure. The real answer is to develop an Active leech line that would adjust with the wind speed. I know a guy that meddled with active venting which seemed to work quite well.

Didn't the Matrix have something like that... Never owned one myself to check - but if someone would send it over I'd gladly confirm :D
Davey
::
Nope, I hadn't fallen off the map. Although one would be excused for thinking so...

jo

Mon May 31, 2004 6:24 pm

Thanks guest for the advice, being a complete novice to the sport I will have to figure out hows its done. I see the point of a leech line but not sure what the "active venting" requires. Could you elaborate for me. As was said to me at the spring fly-in, this doesnt involve shoving a fag through the sail does it??

Zippy8

Mon May 31, 2004 7:09 pm

jo wrote:
not sure what the "active venting" requires. Could you elaborate for me.

I've got an active vented kite: Team High Performance Platinum AVS. You wouldn't like it :-)

It has some zips in the sail which can be opened to regulate the MAXIMUM amount of venting available and an extra standoff-a-like with some bungee that pulls the zippered gap shut when not under pressure and allows it to blow open when loaded up. It works but adds an awful lot of grabbing points to the kite.

The only other commercially available auto-adjusting vented kite would be the Speed Control, also long out of production. See here.

Mike.

moog

Mon May 31, 2004 9:26 pm

Oops guest would be me.

The active venting he was using was through the use of a combination of slits in the sail and very thin spars 'whiskers' that controlled the open and closing of the slit depending on the wind as you flew. It was implemented on his homebuilt quad so not sure if the concept would work on a dual.

Dave
Dave

jo

Mon May 31, 2004 9:27 pm

Bit like gills on a fish then?

moog

Mon May 31, 2004 10:44 pm

yeah good analogy jo. BTW I managed to find a good flying site(s) in our village on sports/play fields that rarely get used.
Dave

jo

Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:57 pm

Well Dave I am on my way round, the Welsh have a flying duo, Portsmouth has a flying duo, I think Bristol should practice so when the 6 Nirvanas meet again we can colaborate in a stupendous array of artistic anarchy. :lol: :lol:

The farmer has given me a new field as well so not doing badly at this end. Give me a shout and if you want some company I will come over.

moog

Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:57 pm

Will do...either at your field or mine. Not sure if us doing pairs is a good thing considering I almost decapitated you on the mega nirvana fly :oops: but we can give it a go sometime when the wind is good as I don't have the Vana UL.
Dave

jo

Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:03 pm

I am very forgiving Dave and my exploits in the team fly were not completely above contempt just ask Andy :badgrin:

I think we will secretly gain experience and sneak up in a professional manner on the other teams