Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

SteveR
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:28 pm

I will add that changing the CoG need not be the end of the world... we change the center of gravity fairly drastically by adding 15-20g to the tail of a kite, that's about 5% of the weight of a standard.

Agree Andy, my point is that a change in the cg WILL have some effect, the positive hopefully is better momentum for stalled tricks, the negative will be more weight to lift, and possibly a change in the "precision" part of the kite flight characteristics. ABW's explanation of the rationale for the gemini viz a viz the real and apparent wind, and the difference between the stalled and powered condition is extrememly significant. Whether you can feel the difference, and indeed how it manifests itself is another question.

This is one facet of kites that I personally find very interesting, clearly Tim, Carl and messrs R Sky, and CdC do not have access to wind tunnel testing that the aero guys do, so a lot of the tuning is trial and error based (hence so many prototypes built of all these new uber kites). To try to quantify the flight characteristics so that you could more closely predict the the final design is an interestin subject, so far only ABW comes close in showing an appreciation of the application of this science. Of course I'm sure that R Sky et al have not merely stumbled upon a good design by accident, whihc makes it the more intrigueing. Ultimately, a pilot of the Eurofighter/JSF etc etc is human, and therefore subjective in his or her measurement, but this has been quantified over time to eliminate the "all things to one man" syndrome.
Thus far, the web has been a woefully poor source of information on this subject, whether thats because there is none, or its not been posted I do not know.
Meantime, lets keep experimenting.............. :shock: blink :shock: blink 8) wow

jimothy
Topic Author

Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:45 pm

More testing and changes today:

Added more weight to tail end of kite, and removed a bit more from the nose (by replacing the upper spreader with a much lighter one). Kite is now back to 215g, but the centre of gravity is now shifted further back towards the tail. The angle of the kite in turtle position is now very similar to my std Impact (which has 20g in the tail - taking it to 290g in total) and it seems better balanced in general to me. Flic-flacs are now easier, rollups not as quick but still predictable and fairly crisp. Also got my first backspin out of it (first time I've managed to backspin any UL, in fact).

I think I'll leave it like this for a bit and see how I get on - I don't think I'll need to lose any more weight, as I think it should fly fairly easily right down to zerowind conditions, but I am still using a 6mm spine, so that'll be the first thing to go if I decide I need to.
Amazing
Box of Tricks $
Double Zero
Frenezy
Impact; Vented, Std, UL $
Maestrale $
Nirvana; Std, UL (reframe)
Ronin
Sweety $
XnTric $

$ for sale