Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

Andy S
King of FA
Topic Author

Akuji Vented

Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:10 am

Perhaps I'm not the best person to trust for an objective review of this kite, but having flown my new one on Saturday at Newbury I have to say how pleased and impressed I am with the Vented Akuji. It may not have looked terribly impressive during the competition itself, but by the time I packed up I was really happy with it.

It wasn't blowing a complete hoolie (Tony S will have to confirm the average windspeed) but it was uncomfortable flying a standard, so I set up the vented with the patches over the lower vents and it had a very pleasant feel even in the middle of the window. There was no wingtip judder and it was still fairly easy to stall (having failed a couple of attempts at a snap-lazy I did a direct upwards-flight two-handed turtle to complete the lazy susan right in the middle of the window, about halfway up.)

This is the best vented kite I've flown. For that all-important 'matching the standard (or comp in this case)' feel it beats something like the Nirvana HW hands down. With the weight in place it still does the nose-out trick set-ups like pancake and turtle which I've always had problems with with vented kites, and will roll-up as nicely as the comp, single or double-pop.

JR had a go too, so hopefully he might offer a little unbiased opinion? ;)

Vee
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:12 am

It was really great to see you at Newbury, see you again soon?
Love Veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Needs to fly more, now that I can.

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Re: Akuji Vented

Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:19 am

Andy S wrote:
Perhaps I'm not the best person to trust for an objective review of this kite

I trust you Andy, but then again I also have the Akuji vent :cool:

jr

Re: Akuji Vented

Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:12 pm

Andy S wrote:
JR had a go too, so hopefully he might offer a little unbiased opinion? ;)

Ok, I'll do my best.... :-)

I'll agree with Andy, this is certainly the best vented kite I've flown. One thing that struck me immediately was how wide the window is, and how much drive the kite has at the edge - it just wants to carry on flying, making it easy to trick there. Across the window, speed and tracking were consistent, and pull was very manageable (and there was more venting available if needed). No oversteer that I could detect. In the centre of the window the kite would stall nicely, in fact it was easy to overdo the amount of "snap" required, it doesn't need as much as you'd think. I had problems with the flare, but at this point Andy said that there was no weight fitted, so trying again with the weight in place it flared out much like any standard kite, and could be quickly flipped back into a fade (no noticeable dead spot). The weight doesn't seem to affect the kite's precision either. Backspins were easy, and Wap-do-wap's should be easily attainable, but in the few goes I had I couldn't get the timing right (too used to an Opium I suppose). Cascades were nice, and 540's look good too. Saw Andy do some nice JL's.

The Mylar inserts for the extra vent panels are very neatly done, and the whole kite is very well made.

I think the best compliment I can give it is that you're not really aware that it's a vented kite, it feels like flying a well-balanced standard on a lower wind day.

Tony S

Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:02 pm

wind on the day was mainly 14 mph - occasional gusts up to 18. plenty of puff for a vented Fury for the figures ......

Can you get the vented Akuji in other colours than grey for the main panels ? I might be tempted if you can match the black/white/grey as per comp ...........

Tony

Craig
Site Admin and Supporter
Site Admin and Supporter

Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:29 pm

Tony S wrote:
Can you get the vented Akuji in other colours than grey for the main panels ? I might be tempted if you can match the black/white/grey as per comp ...........

I have spoken to "the man" and he say yes, it can be matched to your Comp :cool: