Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

ObijuanKenobe
Topic Author

Gemini UL

Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:20 am

Can anyone do a nice review of this particular kite? I have flown a Gemini for several hours on several occasions, so I know a bit about the STD. What I am curious about is the real wind range and performance of the UL version.

I have a hole in my bag that I am dying to fill with a real UL/SUL (where now sits a Flashlight from Prism). Have had this discussion before, but now a possible Gem UL from a great place is in the realm of possibility....

jjayc
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

Ian
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:54 am

Obi - There's a good review here http://www.khite.org/khite/Kites/o100q/geminiUL.htm

If you're into the more modern style of flying though, you may find it a bit tame these days. Nice and floaty but no roll-up's without weight and yo-yo stops at least.

ObijuanKenobe
Topic Author

Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:34 am

Thanks for that. I always forget to look there before opening my mouth. Unfortunately, this is exactly what I was afraid of...it's not the range I really am looking for...I am wanting to fill the 0.5-3mph gap....

Maybe it's time to really think hard about the Akuji UL...

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci

Fiction
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:06 am

I think that's Akuji SUL territory
Rob
6Fivers aria del sud

ObijuanKenobe
Topic Author

Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:08 am

Ahh, that's what I meant...SUL 8)

Andy S
King of FA

Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:08 am

The Ak UL is rated 1-6mph by Yann. The SUL is rated 0-5mph.

sftonkin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:05 am

IMO the Akuji UL needs at least 3 mph to be an easy fly for those of us who are not yet able to generate a PWM (*) -- will fly in less, but needs a deft touch that I certainly don't possess yet, but it's OK up to about 8 mph (gets a bit noisy, but is still perfectly flyable).

Again, for those of us without PWM, the SUL needs at least a "just about feelable" wind. I was flying it on Saturday when the wind was varying between "just about feelable" and 6-ish mph.

Incidentally, Chris Goff (who does seem to carry a PWM) put my SUL through its paces in just about zero wind at Dunstable on Friday night. Absolutely beautiful to watch this kite in the hands of someone who can really fly! Yet again, I get the message that the limitation is the flyer, not the kite: try harder, Tonkin! :) (Mind you, I'm sure that young Mr Goff could make an old Tesco bag on the end of a length of sisal parcel twine look good!)

* Personal Windy Microclimate

ObijuanKenobe
Topic Author

Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:15 am

Do those of you with a Gem UL concur that it's range is so high? This doesn't seem to be much of an improvement on the standard? Again, I have to opportunity to get my hands on a SWEET gemUL, but I still have to pay through the teeth for it....

Has anyone fooled with trying to make the Gem UL an SUL?

sftonkin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:24 am

The reason that you have to pay so much for the Gem UL is the same reason that you don't see a lot of them for sale. Or, put another way, if you bought it and found that you didn't like it, you'd probably not struggle to sell it on.

TeamTrejo

Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:53 am

The Gem UL is more L than a true UL. Still a great kite though.

Looks like you already have a SD. How about the Sea Devil SUL?

I have one in transit, should be here this week.

ObijuanKenobe
Topic Author

Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:12 pm

Yeah...a SeaDevil SUL would be great! How I would love to get another Devil! But I am bit worried about spending quite that much again. It's another 100-120 euros plus shipping above either the Akuji or the Gem UL! And I don't expect to fly it near as often as the STD....

Dixie

Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:26 pm

I agree with all the comments made here about the Gem UL. I have had mine for approx 3 years now and still love to fly it - fantastic cascades, backspins, solid as a rock in the fade and nice wap doo waps to name just a few tricks that the Gem UL excels at.
I much prefer this kite to the std Gem and it does take you down those few mph in wind speed, but as has been said here this is no SUL - below 2mph and it doesn't fly without a lot of running backwards.
Like you, I am looking to get a SUL and can't decide......until I make my mind up I'll carrying on with my Prism flashlight and 3D although these seem very limited in my experience.
'Repetition is the mother of skill' Anthony Robbins

ObijuanKenobe
Topic Author

Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:14 pm

At Dixie: It's nice to hear you saying you feel limited by the Flashlight. I too feel that it's just sorta a kite...without much intention of doing anything other than basic low wind flight. I am looking for more possibilites in these conditions.

jjayc

DD

Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:08 am

If you haven't changed the bungees on the flashlight i would. It stiffens the kite up and takes the 'spongeys' out of it
On the gem UL, i've gotta agree with what is being said, more to the L then ul. The winds i get here, (inland and crappy) i would pull the ul out before the std, BUT both stay in the bag now that i have the DS. Lighter wind then that and i get out the SSL
On the 3D, i have a newer style and it's soon to become wall art; not a kite i enjoy flying :bomb:

Dixie

Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:24 am

anyone got a jjf SUL or any level one SUL that they could comment on?