Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

bryan beasley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Plasma review

Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:15 pm

This was the Demonstrator kindly passed along from Martin at Bristol Kitestore, please feel free to share elsewhere, and the video will be in the video section in a few minutes.

The specifications are available elsewhere, so I'll get straight to it. L'Atelier make a fantastic sail, and this is no exception. The design and layout are really good looking, and the build quality is great. You can see where the confidence comes from in offering the lifetime warranty on the sail. Seriously, this is a nice looking kite.

The weighting system is perfectly sound, yo-yo stops are effective and the upper spreader connectors are covered to prevent line snags, but the most inspired piece of design is in the venting system. So simplistic, yet really effective with just a velcro strip to hold in place and folded sail flap, either open or closed. Brilliant. This with the various weight supplied, gives a useable wind range from around 3 mph, to 20mph +, though tricking and slack line moves to still become a challenge at the top end.

So how does it fly?

Well first impressions in strong, gusty winds were not promising. The kite felt sluggish and was taking some serious inputs to get much action, but after a couple of sessions in lighter winds, and a bit more feel for what was needed, I think the early indication were a bit harsh. Anybody who enjoyed the Cecium, Transfer range, or even the Lithiums will doubtless enjoy this too. There is simply nothing wrong with it.

The only moves I really struggled with during the short time putting the video together, were cometes and crazy copters. Just didn't get the inputs right yet, but then I had the same issues with the transfers, and never really gave it enough time to sort out. Pretty much everthing takes some big hand movements to achieve. Turtle based moves are rediculously easy, but I did have to cheat a bit in the fade and backspins, with the standard settings being a bit top heavy.

There was plenty of inertia for roll ups, 1 and 2 pops were no problem at all, and the yo-yo-stops are just about effective enough to accomodate multi-wraps and wrapped moves. Precision is OK, not really what the kite is for I would suggest, but tracking is solid enough and snap corners were starting to look pretty controlled by the end of the session.

I really wanted to like this kite because it looks fantastic, and to be honest, given time enough I'm pretty sure I would enjoy it. Definately one for 'French Style' and L'Atelier fans. The vedict then...

Couldn't fly it to begin with, but has grown on me after a while. Fantastic usable wind range with the nifty venting, and it looks georeous.

Nice.

http://www.fracturedaxel.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4142

Bryan

Keithgrif
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:20 pm

Glad to see it wasn't as bad as we all feared at Rougham. Interesting that the fade is still problematic, even I noticed that it sat a bit flat (which in my clumsy hands means it bounced out every time).

Nice video :-)

Infinitive

Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:21 pm

So.... Hypothetically, there is this guy who wants to own a French kite, his bag isn't extensive so a kite which can fly in varied winds is a big bonus, but he's seen how reasonably priced a Cesium is (and the lines will come in handy), and heard a whisper of a rumour that a Fury.85 still has a higher wind range than a Plasma.

£170 for Plasma + garauntee which would only get used if I loved the kite and flew it to pieces. Or
£100 for Cesium + stuff. Or
£1?0 for something else. For example that beautiful XTR which Steve Rayner has.

hmmm.

It's all hypothetical cos I ain't got any cash. :-(
Though I will soon. :-D
-------------------------------------- Al --------------------------------------

Zippy8

Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:45 pm

After reading all the reviews I could find and watching Bryan's latest video I am still none the wiser as to who this kite is aimed at. :-s

Even the moderately interested hobbyist is likely to have more than one kite to cover a wind range and the only USP* of the Plasma seems to be the wide wind range (the sail guarantee is nice but neither its presence nor absence looks like a deal breaker). It certainly looks and sounds like ultimate flying performance has been sacrificed in the quest for this wind range so..... I don't get it. :-k

A kite that can fly in a variety of wind speeds but not especially well in any of them.

Maybe they can graft the venting (which does look neatly done) onto the Cesium proper.

Mike.
* unique selling point

kevspilly

Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:46 pm

I am still none the wiser as to who this kite is aimed at

Poeple who might keep just one kite in the boot of their car, or just take one kite on family holiday abroad.

May also be someone who is starting out flying who lives by the coast with stronger winds.
Especially if they live anywhere near me as it's always so **cking windy you need a vent as an option.
All that matters in life is kite flying, love and work ….preferably in that order.

In the bag; Shhhhh... far too many to mention, don't tell the Missus!

Zippy8

Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:59 pm

But £169 seems pretty steep for a kite that most of us FA regulars are always going to be thinking "it's doing OK but <insert> would be doing so much better in this wind", wouldn't we ? :?

It's utility sounds handy but...... no, i'm not convinced. A Dot Matrix and some Wah pads and I reckon I've got it handily beat.

No sale :-)

Mike.

audiorob

Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:59 pm

I think the general concept behind the plasma isn't for a HUGE wind range (because the thing starts shuddering before many standards do), but to open up a wider sweet spot for many people. There are lots of folks who balk at the idea of flying in winds they may have to lunge/walk/run forward in and the plasma does a nice job of making 10 feel like 6-7 with the vents open..

It would be neat to see a 'fully vented' plasma though, perhaps with a proper frame meant to handle higher winds.
Anyway this cake is great.
It's so delicious and moist

bryan beasley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:18 pm

Out of interest, the kite will be going to Margam this weekend, then Southampton the weekend following if anyone wants to borrow it for a bit, otherwise I'll stick in the post for Ogre.

Bryan

big bri
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:16 pm

Nice video Bryan.

Cheers

martinb
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:31 pm

Thanks for the review Bryan and the vid is welcome too!
Do you still have the kite, or can I get it back at some point reasonably soon?
Ta

bryan beasley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:30 pm

Still got it here, I can drop it in the post after the weekend if you like.

Bryan

bryan beasley
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:11 pm

Ermm... sorry, forgot about this. I have now given the kite to Robin, who has kindly said he'll drop it into the shop.

Bryan

Wockey

Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:14 pm

Waiting for my Plasma to arrive so pleased to watch what it can do....eventually. Good video,brilliant backing track but you got the song title wrong :o

Mat

Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:23 am

Keithgrif wrote:
Interesting that the fade is still problematic

hi,
you can increase the Fade capacitiy making shorter from 1 to 4 cm the external bridle, you may will loose some pressure when you will fly the vented panel opened during highwind conditions.
So, put a new bridle with 2 marks or more.

Mathieu

audiorob

Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:15 pm

ROFL! best avatar ever!
Anyway this cake is great.

It's so delicious and moist