Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

Laurent.r

Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:42 pm

I don't like to sheet on work, but the Over isn't sale in france because the sail is the same as nirvana, the shape and strusture have same dimention, juste the kite is not with skyshark but with 6 mm ....

Jason
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:55 pm

The one I saw had nothing in common with a Nirvana.
Jason.

Andy S
King of FA

Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:57 pm

kevspilly wrote:
If so, you could replace "Over" with any number of other kites from the past 2~3 years.

Yeah they will all end up looking the same soon anyway. What does this look like?

http://www.gwtw-kites.com/showproduct.a ... Connection

Any prizes for guessing!

Well, it may look derivative, but if it works, at that price, who can argue? (esp. given the exchange rate atm).

Andy S
King of FA

Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:00 pm

Laurent.r wrote:
I don't like to sheet on work, but the Over isn't sale in france because the sail is the same as nirvana, the shape and strusture have same dimention, juste the kite is not with skyshark but with 6 mm ....

Are you honestly saying that this has the same sail layout as the Nirvana?

Anyway, if someone could make something that flew like the Nirvana, but didn't fall apart in 6 months, I'd take one! :mad:

Laurent.r

Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:15 pm

Yes, line , design isn't the same , fortunatly , but if you take the two sail and put one over thee other is exatly the same

Miles F

Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:32 am

My mistake Iwas thinking of the Tribal ( Andy Preston design) and nothing to do with these kites really. Still nice to see a new range from HQ who seem to have gone off the boil a bit these last few years, how about posting some reviews for those who have tried the new kites?
A NOHD will be published for the DS in due course, till then wear sunnies.

nubeiro

Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:40 am

Laurent.r wrote:
Yes, line , design isn't the same , fortunatly , but if you take the two sail and put one over thee other is exatly the same

I'm sorry, it's not exactly the same, I have tried it and it's not a 100% match, there are some differences also in the sail.

Top spreader is 44cm now, bridle is completely different, whiskers are more far away from the cross than in the nirvana.
I don't have the measurements of the whole frame, but I have put one and another side by side. I would accept that they are similar, but I don't think anyone is dumb enough to just copy a Nirvana and put it in the market.

I didn't know it's not selling in France because of it's similarities with the Nirvana :shock:

Juha
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:00 am

nubeiro wrote:
I didn't know it's not selling in France because of it's similarities with the Nirvana :shock:

I don't think that's really the case. :roll:

Juha

Laurent.r

Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:05 pm

if you can read french, ther is a discussion, two months ago in this kite : http://forum.aceboard.net/forum2.php?ru ... login=7080

Andy S
King of FA

Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:23 pm

nubeiro

Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:35 pm

So, that means that Cerf Volant Service is not selling it, that doesn't mean the Over won't be sold in France at all.
They decide not to do it because they consider there are some details copied from the Nirvana... correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I understand when in French someone says:
vu les quelques détails choquants de copie pure du Nirvana

If that's the case, there are lots of details that are common with the Nirvana in other kites, and that doesn't seem to be a problem.

Juha
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:40 pm

If that's the amount of resemblance it takes to have a kite removed from sale, I can't see how we can have any stunt kites in the shops. Incredible.

Juha

TonyASC

Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:41 pm

I guess similarities between kites may be considered normal ... I would blame physics for it.

If you ask two people to independently come up with the most aerodynamic shape, chances are that both will end up with a drop of water.

So It may follow that if you want two different kites to behave in the same manner, both of them should be very similar.

On the other hand, at times it may seem that one designer does the hard thinking and work, and comes up with a good kite, and another takes a shortcut and "borrows" the ideas. In this case I'd be happy if the shortcut route improves upon an already good kite.

So the better kites get, most probably, the more similar they'll be.

(I don't know if that's why nowadays all cars tend to look the same too)

Tony

Ogre

Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:44 pm

I can't believe they're selling the French Connection for as low as $119.00
I may have to save up.
Who cares what other kite it looks like?!?!?!
"With tuppence for paper and strings..."

tunemx

Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:15 pm

Now I understand why they call it the poor man's Nirvana :)