Sport, Trick and Freestyle Kite Flying Forum

Moderators: Craig, Andy S

kevin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Prism is back!?!

Wed May 11, 2005 3:40 am

I learned the basics on Prism kites. Axel on the Macro-Ion, cascade and flic-flac on the Eclipse.

Enter the Illusion. I hated that kite---still do. The Elixir is a Gem wannabe afaik. Didn't like the E2 at all.

I've paid good money for each of those kites because I was certain that MR was off on some kind of design tangent and would be back soon.

Turns out I was right.

I've got about 6 hours on the Quantum Pro. I'm not good enough to say anything about it except that it's more kite than I am ready for, just like the Fury. I know it's good, I just can't bring it out yet.

The Mirage is the absolute greatest $150 kite I've ever flown.

I flew it today at the low end of it's usable range---probably somewhere around 3-5 mph. All the tricks I know, I could do easily. Axels and Coin-Tosses were super flat, as were Backspins and 540s.

It's just wrong how easy this kite will pancake. I'm used to powering the kite up a bit and throwing my arms forward---on the Mirage, my first attempt ended up w/ the nose pointing back at me---it turned out to need no more than wrist movements to do flic-flacs, backspins, and J/Ls.

The Mirage isn't perfect. It's set up w/ that goofy small bag/lame plastic ferrule thing like the Quantum. Tip stabs showed the flex of the pultruded l.e., but in the light wind I flew, I can't complain about them. No glides or stoppers, but there are holes in the l.e. material indicating where you should put stops. I think that it should've come w/ that stuff. I used a 75'/150# Speedline set that is a favorite of mine, so I can't say anything about the included lines. For anyone who cares, the Mirage is available in a new color scheme besides the old(ish) Fire and Ice---Glacier.

Bottom line is that the Mirage is one hell of a kite for the money. With very little effort, you could add stoppers and glides, maybe switch out the leading edge spars w/ P-2 or 300s.

I won't put the Transfer aside because of the Mirage, but I've a warm, fuzzy feeling about Prism that I've not felt for quite some time.

Kevin

randyg

Wed May 11, 2005 1:23 pm

:shock:
Randy
My Blog

Bastiaan
FA Supporter
FA Supporter

Wed May 11, 2005 2:02 pm

The fist time since I heard of this one, kiteworld website is ofline, Google states that they stock this kite, anyone heard of this one before?
Bastiaan.

Eddie Green

Wed May 11, 2005 2:25 pm

Kevin I hate to say this.

But are you a Goth?

I mean surely all that bright sunlight will burn your pale pale pale pale pale skin.

Steve Porter

Wed May 11, 2005 2:29 pm

AAAh the Sisters! Top.

'there is acid on the floor so we walk on the ceilling,
and the Body Electric dances on the Bathroom floor!'

Just Because A Cat Has Her Kittens in the Oven Doesn't Make them Biscuits

kevin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Wed May 11, 2005 3:43 pm

Eddie Green wrote:
But are you a Goth?

Nope.

I saw "Under the Gun" on a retro video show the other night, and it caused me to dig out my old Sisters cds. I forgot how much I liked them. (after seeing that vid, I had also forgotten how hot Terri Nunn was!)

Anyway, just waxing nostalgic w/ the avatar.

Kevin

Dodd

Fri May 20, 2005 5:28 pm

Looks like a nice kite. $150? Why so much I wonder?

Dodd
www.newtechkites.com/NTKBB/ (our new kite forum)

Eddie Green

Fri May 20, 2005 7:12 pm

kevin wrote:

Nope.

Awww come on you know you wanna be ...

kevin
FA Supporter
FA Supporter
Topic Author

Sat May 21, 2005 1:20 am

Dodd wrote:
Looks like a nice kite. $150? Why so much I wonder?

I made a mistake, it's closer to $130. Even at $150, I don't think it's "so much". At least it hasn't fallen apart yet.

Eddie Green wrote:

Awww come on you know you wanna be ...

You are right, I do. But I'm too fat, I hate cloves, and I love the sun. Any suggestions? ;)

Eddie Green

Sat May 21, 2005 11:04 am

kevin wrote:
You are right, I do. But I'm too fat, I hate cloves, and I love the sun. Any suggestions? ;)

Tricky. Tricky.

You could try Cybergoth but even I am getting too fat for that now my waist is pushing 30 inches.

Steve Porter

Sun May 22, 2005 5:23 pm

30 inches is positively sveldt Ed!!

Just Because A Cat Has Her Kittens in the Oven Doesn't Make them Biscuits

Eddie Green

Sun May 22, 2005 6:41 pm

Steve Porter wrote:
30 inches is positively sveldt Ed!!

I know that, YOU lnow that, but whoever made these PVC trousers thought different.